Grado SR80i or AKG K550?

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm after a pair of headphones for home use. These two won in their respective price category at this year's What Hi-Fi awards. But they're both available for around the same sort of price. Does that make the AKGs a no-brainer?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I own the Grados, and while I was impressed at first, I find them them annoying now. The on ear design gets uncomfortable. The build quality feels poor. The sound is detailed, but a bit rough. I wouldn't say they are that bassy either. I think there are better headphones out there for the money. Good value in the US where it is a $100 headphone.

Keep in mind that the Grados are an open backed design (i.e. sound leaks, so others in the room will hear the music too and the headphones won't block out any external noise).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes there is a searate headphone sub-section. Main complaint with the AKGs is lack of or no bass. Also the Senn. Momentums are worth considering although in a different section in WHF rather mixed up sections, they won overall I believe and you can get them for around £160 if you shop around.

The other big issue, do you require open back or closed back?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts