Good deal?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been looking at the Naim Nait 5i-2 and CD5i-2. My dealer has told me he has a six-month-old second hand pair, which he will sell for £1400, as opposed to the £1650 for them new.

I will be demoing it tomorrow with my new EB1s, but I wanted to ask whether people on here thought the £1400 a good price?

Is there anything I should look for/ask the dealer regarding them, considering they're second hand? Should I expect them to sound a tad warmer than the new units I demoed a short while back, due to run in, and how much will the newness of my speakers affect things?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Even though still protected under warranty and coming straight from a dealer? What do you think would be a more reasonable price, then, John?

A

Anonymous

I would offer £1000 and settle on £1100 max ... don't rush, there are many bargains around ... does not matter how old they are ... they are used and not new

A

Anonymous

naim gear does tend to hold its price though

personally id look for ex demo gear which usually comes with a full naim warranty or just pay for new

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I got my pair back in April for £1494 instead of £1660 (£166 or 10% off) because they were slightly ex dem by a few weeks. (They were the only ones in stock at the time whilst more were on back-order.) The full 3 year dealer warrranty plus Naim's additional warranty upon registration all applied.

£1400 for used is steep. I would expect £550 for the amp and £650 for the CD would be fair assuming they are mint and with warranty.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
John is probably right but then you'll never find Naim in the bargain corner and your dealer knows he'll sell them. One thing I'd suggest though is, if you want basement Naim, to seek out version 1's of the 5's. Cheaper and not much difference. For your budget I'd either save a little and get the XS and version 1 entry 5 player or go the whole way with XS and matching cdp. Substantial difference with both. Either way, you're better placed for the future.

You must dem both if you're auditioning anyway.

A

Anonymous

Interesting replies, thanks. I will try and get him down on the price, though I suspect the above comment is correct and the fact that he knows they'll sell means he might not budge much.

Maybe it would be best to just cough up the extra dough and buy brand new.

A

Anonymous

I tend to agree with the other replies. I was offered a mint s/h hand 122x/150x for £800 three months ago with a 12 month warranty. That would have left me £600 of your £1400 to go towards a cd player and I'd have bought an amp worth far more (at RRP).

I do think you're in the right direction with used/ex-dem though. As others have mentioned, once Naim kit has taken the initial drop in value (from new to used) then it tends to hold its value pretty well. If I was looking for your combination I'd be willing to pay around 1200 for used with a dealer 6 month/12 month warranty.

Edit: Meant to mention...if you don't buy that combo then keep an eye on the BADA Marketplace website - Naim stuff often crops up there. A lot of Naim s/h gear isn't that old, given the desire to travel the Naim upgrade ladder that grabs a lot of people.

A

Anonymous

Not particularly, unless he was willing to go to about £1200.00 for the pair - that would be cheap.

A

Anonymous

Some slightly conflicting opinions in here, though at least there is a consensus that £1400 is too much. Based on what I've read (and what I hear tomorrow) I will probably go up to about £1100, maybe £1200. Hopefully he will be happy to make another sale just before Christmas and accept.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Do bear in mind that the Naim warranty start from when the dealer buys the stock, not from when the customer buys it. So if those ex-demo's are a year old, you'll only have 1 year warranty.

A

Anonymous

That's a pretty cheeky price to be asking for a second hand pair. Somebody might pay that, but it certainly wouldn't be me.

A

Anonymous

Blimey - you can get the Rega Saturn if you look around for almost the same price as the CD5i. I never got a chance to audition the Apollo, but for that price I guess it's well worth checking out the Saturn if I can find somewhere that can do it. Should it theoretically offer a warmer presentation? I love the CD5i, but it could perhaps be a little bit warmer. Then again, that might have been the lack of running in on the demo model I heard.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, warmer and smoother
emotion-1.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Frankly, you'd be nuts to pay that. I mean for an extra £250 you get it brand new? That's a no brainer. I'd buy new rather than take a used set for such a small discount. You might keep these for years. What's £250 to get new equipment? Now, if the discount was more substantial, say £500, then I'd be seriously considering taking the deal. The dealer is obviously priced too high on these. I'd say £1200 tops. If he won't take that, I'd walk away...

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Let someone else pick up that "bargain".

Audition the Saturn with the Naim Nait 5i, get both new for £1623 maybe less if you go to certain well known audio stores which have January sales. So should get the amp for £725 -10% and the Saturn for £898 -12.5%.

apporox 652 + 785 = 1487 Brand new!!! No brainer

A

Anonymous

Went to another dealer today, and tried out a 2008 CD5X with a Nait 5i non-italic. A small step back with the amp and a big step forward with the CDP. I liked it - so much, in fact that I bought it. Got it set up and playing now, and I'm bloody pleased with it.

A

Anonymous

hound:
I've been looking at the Naim Nait 5i-2 and CD5i-2. My dealer has told me he has a six-month-old second hand pair, which he will sell for £1400, as opposed to the £1650 for them new.

I will be demoing it tomorrow with my new EB1s, but I wanted to ask whether people on here thought the £1400 a good price?

Is there anything I should look for/ask the dealer regarding them, considering they're second hand? Should I expect them to sound a tad warmer than the new units I demoed a short while back, due to run in, and how much will the newness of my speakers affect things?

Thanks.

No, I traded in a less than 6 month old pair just before Christmas and only got £1000 for them which i thought was a reasonable price (slightly less than selling privately). Given the dealer mark up and what have you i'd say ££1200-1300

editt: missed your lsat post. Great one getting the new kit!

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Listening to Joe's Garage at the moment and am in ecstacy.
emotion-2.gif
Zappa never sounded so good.

I'd like to thank anyone who's replied to any of my n00bish questions on here and generally helped me out. This forum's been very useful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts