Gone out on a limb...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
And placed an order for an Emotiva A-100 amp. Although it basically a bare bones intergrated amp I'll only be using it as a headphone amp and comparing its performance to my Oppo HA-1. Reviews I've read are very positive in this regard. It can channel those class A 50W into the headphone section and destroy any connected cans but this controlled with resistors. You can bypass this internally if you're crazy but I think I'll play it safe and keep it limited to the 3W output to the headphpone section.. It has next to nothing in terms of connections at the rear RCA in/out and is something of a strange beast but at £259 delivered to the UK with customs fees sorted it seems a steal. A chance I'm prepared to take.

Zreviews does his normal thing in the link below. Some may love him, others hate him. To me, he is Jack Black doing Hi-Fi reviews. Definitely my favorite online reveiwer... perhaps others may find this amp of interest, perhaps not but here's Z's take on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKgA6qyOCWQ

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I know his style's not for everyone but I find him informative and very entertaining.

This is my first import job re Hi-Fi. Previously I was tempted by some Emotiva components further up the range but chickened out. Fingers crossed! ;-)

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Congrats on the purchase. The Emotiva line is very appealing and £259 delivered seems like a steal indeed! At least for the specs.

Emotiva is sold here in Lisbon (through a Spanish distributor), but I'm yet to listen to any of their amps. At the time I visited the dealer he had just received some units. Build quality was good.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
when I get my hands on it. Should be a few weeks as it's shipping from the States. As I'll be using it solely as a headphone amp it will be interesting to compare with Oppo HA-1 in balanced output mode.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
when I get my hands on it. Should be a few weeks as it's shipping from the States. As I'll be using it solely as a headphone amp it will be interesting to compare with Oppo HA-1 in balanced output mode.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on it. The internals look to be exceptionally well engineered for the price. So are the distortion measurements.

One of the main reasons that I chose the NJC Monitor II headphone amplifier is that it can output a full 3 watts of power making it powerful enough to drive any headphone without ever breaking a sweat. It also has vanishingly low distortion measurements too.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
and a delivery date of the 21st June has been given. Can't wait to have a play and will of course try my best to offer my thoughts and feelings on it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Just be very carful. Make sure you triple check everything every single time before you press play. If you accidentally put the full 50 watts (or even a couple of watts) into your very expensive Oppo headphones they will last approximately 0.0000001 seconds before you're left with nothing more than a pair of futuristic looking ear warmers.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
and boy am I impressed!

OK, perhaps this update should have been posted on the Headphone section ( I may copy it over there) but as the Emotiva's primary intended use for this unit is as an amp driving passive speakers it was originally posted here.

For the money build quality is impressive! I paid £254 delivered to the door and received it within 9 days (I think) 5 days ahead of schedule.

If you're in the market for a decent headphone amp to drive any headphones and already own a desk top dac with rca outputs give this serious consideration. The headphone output easily matches my Oppo HA-1 but has so much more controlled power. Terms like clarity, control, agility and finesse sprung to mind as I was listening. Perhaps all cliched I know. Meaningless subjective phrases, exhausted adjectives when it comes to describing sound and yes done to death I know but f"ck me for the money it's incredible!

Connection wise it's poor, single rca inputs and a rca loop out but this is about the sound. That's why you need an existing dac/preamp to be in place. For my set up, it's certainly not ideal. I knew I was going to encounter some issues, primarliy with my speakers and I have. Using the rca signal loop at the rear of the Emotiva fed from the Oppo rca outs the signal then goes to the MInidsp DDRC-24 and on to my speakers. My AVI DM10's need to be either switched off or muted via their remote prior to headphone listening or else they still play the received signal. I switch them off from the back to be safe, worried they'll suddenly receive an unexpected burst. The Oppo is set to full fixed volume output and the Emotiva controls main volume levels. With headphone use clearly the Emotiva has a lot more power and muscle in reserve than the Oppo. Real life, upper listening levels are likely to be much the same (I can only tolerate so much volume) but there's also the psychological aspect of only having to turn that volume dial x amount and feeling that there's so much more real power in hand.

Emotiva provide jumpers in the box to bypass the circuit resistors so apparently you can feed the full 50 watts normally delivered to the speakers terminals to the headphone output and nuke your headphones unless extreme caution is taken. As far as I'm concerned no chance, I value my PM-2's way too much!

I'm seriousy considering letting the HA-1 go now and perhaps replacing it with a Oppo Sonica to feed the Emotiva. Originally I wanted Balanced outputs for headphone use but now I'm struggling to see how much of an improvement this could actually offer. We'll see... other considerationa could be upgrading the Minidsp hardware as I'm feeling somewhat limited with the rca's and God forbid thinking about another change of speakers... it's never ending!

Edit: Upon switching the headphones between Oppo and the Emotiva (both will output simultansously) the latter is less warm and actually to me offers a better, more palatable sound. There is a clean and distinguishable difference in sound reproduction. I'm using Roon audio via usb to the Oppo's dac. As to what's the most accurate, no idea...

insider9

Why not try at least. Roon > Minidsp > Emotiva > Speakers and headphones

You'd need to create an additional profile in Minidsp to make sure you can switch to it when listening on headphones so you bypass DSP and crossover. You can control the volume with Roon Minidsp to make sure your sub is also volume controlled.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That would make sense. Just one thing, I still need to employ the dac from the Oppo HA-1. I listen to a lot of DSD and High Res files from my Qnap NAS via the Raspberry Pi3 (Squeezelite) - usb - Oppo HA-1. I suppose even if I ditch the HA-1 for the Sonica I still have the same issue... Admittedly the chain is a total mess. So much for simplifying things with the move to actives! ;-)

I honestly think this Emotiva is the best hi-fi related bargain I've ever purchased and I like my bargains! ;-)

insider9

Just checked the specs. Do be careful when connecting Minidsp. Emotiva input has sensitivity of 600mV. Minidsp outputs 2V. Were you not to use the volume pot you'd reach max volume pretty quickly.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Insider. One thing I've definitely learnt is that these relatively cheap impulsive buys can often lead to headaches further down the line that are rarely inexpensive! I was considering trying to find a retailer that would accept trade ins, sadly Fanthorpes whom I've used before don't deal in Oppo. I fancied exchnaging the HA-1 for the Sonica Dac as a decent source offering similar connectivity options and online streaming.

OK so if I exclude the Oppo as a DSD capable dac what exactly is decoding the DSD signal in my current setup? I assumed the Raspberry Pi3/PiCore player/Squeezelite app combo was simply processing it and passing it down the line to the Dac where it was actually decoded?

The easiest, possibly cheapest option is simply to remove the Emotiva and provide it with its own source...

insider9

luckylion100 said:
Insider. One thing I've definitely learnt is that these relatively cheap impulsive buys can often lead to headaches further down the line that are rarely inexpensive! I was considering trying to find a retailer that would accept trade ins, sadly Fanthorpes whom I've used before don't deal in Oppo. I fancied exchnaging the HA-1 for the Sonica Dac as a decent source offering similar connectivity options and online streaming.

OK so if I exclude the Oppo as a DSD capable dac what exactly is decoding the DSD signal in my current setup? I assumed the Raspberry Pi3/PiCore player/Squeezelite app combo was simply processing it and passing it down the line to the Dac where it was actually decoded?

The easiest, possibly cheapest option is simply to remove the Emotiva and provide it with its own source...
Were you to do that Yamaha WXC-50 you already owned would tick that box just fine. Not just that but it could also feed Minidsp via optical. I find it incredibly useful preamp in my setup. I freed Minidsp digitally but all have it connected up via analogue preouts to amp when I don't want to use any correction and headphone amp via line out. There isn't another product that matched my expectations better out there. Not to me room it's also planned for a firmware update to have Tidal and Deezer natively.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
... Emotiva provide jumpers in the box to bypass the circuit resistors so apparently you can feed the full 50 watts normally delivered to the speakers terminals to the headphone output and nuke your headphones unless extreme caution is taken. As far as I'm concerned no chance, I value my PM-2's way too much! ...

Have you considered (very carefully) trying it without the jumpers in just to see how it compares?

I'mm glad to hear that you're happy with it too BTW. :)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
luckylion100 said:

Were you to do that Yamaha WXC-50 you already owned would tick that box just fine. Not just that but it could also feed Minidsp via optical. I find it incredibly useful preamp in my setup. I freed Minidsp digitally but all have it connected up via analogue preouts to amp when I don't want to use any correction and headphone amp via line out. There isn't another product that matched my expectations better out there. Not to me room it's also planned for a firmware update to have Tidal and Deezer natively.

I loved the WXC-50 but having two units that let me down tarnished my own personal take on the unit. Yet, as strange as it sounds I'd still thoroughly recommend it as I know I was just unlucky... weird eh?!

I'm thinking of totally changing the nature of my system and going more 'pro' within my budget...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
luckylion100 said:
... Emotiva provide jumpers in the box to bypass the circuit resistors so apparently you can feed the full 50 watts normally delivered to the speakers terminals to the headphone output and nuke your headphones unless extreme caution is taken. As far as I'm concerned no chance, I value my PM-2's way too much! ...

Have you considered (very carefully) trying it without the jumpers in just to see how it compares?

I'mm glad to hear that you're happy with it too BTW. :)

won't go there as there's no real need. My PM-2's are driven beautifully as is it. I know that if curiosity did get better of me I'd eventually slip up and the end result would be that it killed my cans!

insider9

luckylion100 said:
insider9 said:
luckylion100 said:

I loved the WXC-50 but having two units that let me down tarnished my own personal take on the unit. Yet, as strange as it sounds I'd still thoroughly recommend it as I know I was just unlucky... weird eh?!

I'm thinking of totally changing the nature of my system and going more 'pro' within my budget...
Haha, clue in the sig :)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
luckylion100 said:
insider9 said:
luckylion100 said:

Honestly I'm not attempting to appear cagey. I think most know what I'm thinking about selling. In terms of new direction, it's basically back to what I was considering a year ago. As you probably know over the last year I've tied myself up in knots with my audio chain... I want simplicity ;-)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
luckylion100 said:
insider9 said:
luckylion100 said:

It's more a case of what's not in the sig...

The Oppo I would like to change eventually but its dac sounds incredible with the Emotiva and PM-2's, I'm still as blown away with the Emotiva as I was after receiving it!

I still lust after a Mytek Brooklyn dac/pre. Chord I don't like. I think as good as they obviously sound they're struggling with an identity crisis in terms of whether they're portable or not. Colured beads, nah not to my taste. I like boring.

Connection is key, my current setup although sounding bloody great is a mess and difficult to control as I'd like.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
insider9 said:
luckylion100 said:
insider9 said:
luckylion100 said:

It's more a case of what's not in the sig...

The Oppo I would like to change eventually but its dac sounds incredible with the Emotiva and PM-2's, I'm still as blown away with the Emotiva as I was after receiving it!

I still lust after a Mytek Brooklyn dac/pre. Chord I don't like. I think as good as they obviously sound they're struggling with an identity crisis in terms of whether they're portable or not. Colured beads, nah not to my taste. I like boring.

Connection is key, my current setup although sounding bloody great is a mess and difficult to control as I'd like.

So are you just a headphone guy now?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
oh no... but I am giving serious consideration to changing speakers and dac/pre. Now I'm trying to work out whether I can afford it with a lot of saving and selling of existing gear.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
oh no... but I am giving serious consideration to changing speakers and dac/pre.  Now I'm trying to work out whether I can afford it with a lot of saving and selling of existing gear.

What are you wanting to buy?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts