going from floorstanders to small active speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
EDIT: just saw a video in which ADAM themselves are saying that it's basically an A5X with a different cabinet and additional connections.

Indeed, a rear-ported A5X with the addition of USB (16/44.1) and 3.5mm mini jack inputs (and shiny cabinets)

One thing to note, the Stereo Link (shared volume control) does not work with XLR sources.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
Thanks for the different suggestions. I will look (browse) into each one of them to see whether I will give them an audition or not. About the Adam A7X: I am truly interested in those speakers, but it's a shame that it's basically impossible to connect both the tv and the sonos to the speakers. Such a shame. And they are also a little bit bigger than I want them to be, so maybe the A5X is something to take a look at.

There are simple 'work rounds', if you want to go down that route.

Firstly you can connect your tv to the Sonos Connect analogue in, either from a scart or RCA output on your TV, or if it is digital out only, via a cheap, generic dac.

Alternatively you can use the Sonos into a multi input dac, along with the TV, possibly even with auto switching. I use a Fiio D3 in almost exactly this configuration (AEX instead of Sonos) but it requires manual switching which is not ideal, though I live with it.

The A7x speakers are pretty damn good, pretty much the 'go to' monitor at the price. Thoman have some in a rather nice piano gloss black at €800pr approx. If not I would go for A5xs or Presonus Eris 8, depending on what I wanted to spend.

It's funny. I started out thinking how I could connect everything to the sonos until someone on the sonos forum mentioned that I could bypass it when thinking about connecting the tv to the speakers... (sometimes one is just stuck in a specific way of thinking) and now the oppositve thing was happening. I'll look into your suggestion tomorrow. I need to go to bed now.

Also, the A7X do not appear to nearly as large as I thought. Some website put the dimensions of the A8X under the A7X. So right now it's definitely an option.

EDIT: Isn't it also possible to use a digital cable to feed the tv's audio directly into the Sonos. The Sonos then functions as a DAC right?

No. No digital input on the Connect.

Just use a cheap outboard Dac, it,s only TV. Everything is then controlled from the Sonos remote app.

O yeah, it only has digital outs. Right!

Plus if you use the line in on the Connect you'll get a 70ms lag on the audio which will impact on the lip sync, although whether it bothers you or not is a matter of personal preference. That's probably why you were advised not to do that on the Sonos forum.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
Thanks for the different suggestions. I will look (browse) into each one of them to see whether I will give them an audition or not. About the Adam A7X: I am truly interested in those speakers, but it's a shame that it's basically impossible to connect both the tv and the sonos to the speakers. Such a shame. And they are also a little bit bigger than I want them to be, so maybe the A5X is something to take a look at.

Firstly you can connect your tv to the Sonos Connect analogue in, either from a scart or RCA output on your TV, or if it is digital out only, via a cheap, generic dac.

Alternatively you can use the Sonos into a multi input dac, along with the TV, possibly even with auto switching. I use a Fiio D3 in almost exactly this configuration (AEX instead of Sonos) but it requires manual switching which is not ideal, though I live with it.

The A7x speakers are pretty damn good, pretty much the 'go to' monitor at the price. Thoman have some in a rather nice piano gloss black at €800pr approx. If not I would go for A5xs or Presonus Eris 8, depending on what I wanted to spend.

It's funny. I started out thinking how I could connect everything to the sonos until someone on the sonos forum mentioned that I could bypass it when thinking about connecting the tv to the speakers... (sometimes one is just stuck in a specific way of thinking) and now the oppositve thing was happening. I'll look into your suggestion tomorrow. I need to go to bed now.

Also, the A7X do not appear to nearly as large as I thought. Some website put the dimensions of the A8X under the A7X. So right now it's definitely an option.

EDIT: Isn't it also possible to use a digital cable to feed the tv's audio directly into the Sonos. The Sonos then functions as a DAC right?

Just use a cheap outboard Dac, it,s only TV. Everything is then controlled from the Sonos remote app.

Plus if you use the line in on the Connect you'll get a 70ms lag on the audio which will impact on the lip sync, although whether it bothers you or not is a matter of personal preference. That's probably why you were advised not to do that on the Sonos forum.

Indeed :) (different fora, different purposes). So, if I understand it correctly, that wouldn't be a problem when I feed the Sonos an analogue signal. And as Dave has pointed out: it really is a non-issue because the Sonos has no digital inputs.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:

Indeed :) (different fora, different purposes). So, if I understand it correctly, that wouldn't be a problem when I feed the Sonos an analogue signal. And as Dave has pointed out: it really is a non-issue because the Sonos has no digital inputs.

No, not quite.

The_lhc suggests that there is a 70ms timelag on the analogue input, so it could be an issue. I have no interest in video through the hi-fi, so this is not an area that I have investigated. I do listen to freeview radio through the hi-fi which works very well and saves me having to power up the Plasma.

I have no idea whether 70ms delay will be obvious or not, again not my area of expertise, try it and see.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Broner said:
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:

No, not quite.

The_lhc suggests that there is a 70ms timelag on the analogue input, so it could be an issue. I have no interest in video through the hi-fi, so this is not an area that I have investigated. I do listen to freeview radio through the hi-fi which works very well and saves me having to power up the Plasma.

I have no idea whether 70ms delay will be obvious or not, again not my area of expertise, try it and see.

Indeed, you're right, but this has to do with digitising the analogue signal, and for the Adam speakers I would need to use the analog out.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:

No, not quite.

Indeed, you're right, but this has to do with digitising the analogue signal, and for the Adam speakers I would need to use the analog out.

I'm pretty sure that the analogue input is digitised anyway, to enable the Connect to do it's stuff. It is this processing that will be responsible for the delay.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
I'm pretty sure that the analogue input is digitised anyway, to enable the Connect to do it's stuff. It is this processing that will be responsible for the delay.

Correct, the input is always digitised, regardless of where it ends up coming out of.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
Aha... Btw, I've made an appointment tonight to check out a pair of secondhand A5X monitors (2 years old) for 350 euro's.

Check that they are A5x and not A5 models, there is a difference. The A5x replaced the A5 late in 2011, so, with a bit of licence regarding dates, it could be either.

If they are A5x and they are in decent condition, that sounds great.

Let us know how you get on.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Broner said:
Aha... Btw, I've made an appointment tonight to check out a pair of secondhand A5X monitors (2 years old) for 350 euro's.

Check that they are A5x and not A5 models, there is a difference. The A5x replaced the A5 late in 2011, so, with a bit of licence regarding dates, it could be either.

The photo clearly shows A5X on the backside of the speakers, so that should be alright. I'm curious as to how they will sound. I will report back soon.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:

The photo clearly shows A5X on the backside of the speakers, so that should be alright. I'm curious as to how they will sound. I will report back soon.

Exellent. If they have not been totally thrashed that is a good price.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:

We'll see. Any tips as to what I should listen for when auditioning 2nd-hand speakers?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:

We'll see. Any tips as to what I should listen for when auditioning 2nd-hand speakers?

Not really, any damage will be obvious.

More a question of looking at the condition of the cabinets etc to see how well thet have been treated. Check the level/tweeter controls for dead spots or noise, thats about it.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for taking me on this little journey so far. It's been quite informative, but I would like to come back to one of your suggestions (@THC: this is also something you might have an opinion on)). Let's say I buy a fiio D3. I believe you suggested to connect both the sonos connect and the tv to this little DAC and use the switch to select between the tv and the sonos. That seems like a nice solution, but would that mean the 70ms delay is no longer present as the signal no longer needs to be digitised but just passes through the Sonos?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Broner said:
Thanks for taking me on this little journey so far. It's been quite informative, but I would like to come back to one of your suggestions (@THC: this is also something you might have an opinion on)). Let's say I buy a fiio D3. I believe you suggested to connect both the sonos connect and the tv to this little DAC and use the switch to select between the tv and the sonos. That seems like a nice solution, but would that mean the 70ms delay is no longer present as the signal no longer needs to be digitised but just passes through the Sonos?

In that situation the TV signal would not be passing through the Sonos at all, so no, there'd be no delay, unless the DAC itself introduces one.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:

In that situation the TV signal would not be passing through the Sonos at all, so no, there'd be no delay, unless the DAC itself introduces one.

Right. Thanks.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:

Correct.

The dac comes after the Connect and is connected to the Connect digital out. I have my AEX and TV tuner connected in this way (with an adaptor that you do not need to worry about with the Connect), and it works fine, the analogue out of the D3 straight into the monitors.

These kinds of setups, even simple ones like this through up all sorts of 'functionality' issues, my TV tuner box does give me a volume control on the outputs, though many, most even, do not. If the (up to) 70ms delay is not too apparent in your setup or does not bother you, going via the Connect is a more elegant solution.

To my mind this highlights the need for a simple remote control dac/preamp which will solve these and many similar issues as well as adding extras such as a headphone amp. The Mdac is just what you need though the price is outrageous.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
To my mind this highlights the need for a simple remote control dac/preamp which will solve these and many similar issues as well as adding extras such as a headphone amp. The Mdac is just what you need though the price is outrageous.

Depending on the number and type of inputs required, I would say that Matrix Electronic Technology's Mini-i, Mini-i Pro and Quattro DAC do a fine job.

If you don't mind getting the Mini-i's 2012 version (discontinued in December 2013 following the release of the new Mini-i and Mini-i Pro) you can get one from Tam Audio for the very reasonable price of £140, including the remote and shipping!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
EvPa said:
davedotco said:

Depending on the number and type of inputs required, I would say that Matrix Electronic Technology's Mini-i, Mini-i Pro and Quattro DAC do a fine job.

If you don't mind getting the Mini-i's 2012 version (discontinued in December 2013 following the release of the new Mini-i and Mini-i Pro) you can get one from Tam Audio for the very reasonable price of £140, including the remote and shipping!

I am aware of the Matrix product but in the UK the Mini i, with remote is nearly £300 and shipping from Hong Kong involves shipping, duty and VAT.

Plus of course you have to buy unheard, though if you buy from a uk internet supplier (Kidult) presumeably distance selling regulations apply.

Given the functionality of even budget A/V recievers, I am surprised there is no digital pre-amp at a sensible price.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Picked them up today. They look and sound excellent, but now that I'm at home I miss the cables to connect them already. Dammit. Wil report back later. Also don't yet fully understand how to connect them. Was just reading through the manual: file:///C:/Users/Rob/Downloads/AX_man%20(6).pdf, but didn't yet fully grasp how I should connect them to the Sonos.

gasolin

Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:

You can easily see the difference, the adam a5 have a grill in front of the woofer the a5x dosn't

I like to say something about the Adam A5X, beacuse i have just listen to them today, only problem i had was compared to my krk rp5 g3 was that i thought the top was 1-2 db to loud, but the sound is open,clear and clean. The place i listen to them (4sound in denmark) i can play almost to all the speakers limted, i didn't reach that point, they didn't have any music i like or i have, so i don't really know the limit of the speakers (cons).

They are more open and clear then the krk and with 110 db spl limited (which isn't bad for such a small speaker) you don't need any more power

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
Also don't yet fully understand how to connect them. Was just reading through the manual: file:///C:/Users/Rob/Downloads/AX_man%20(6).pdf, but didn't yet fully grasp how I should connect them to the Sonos.

Ok so if connecting them directly to the SONOS, without Stereo Link:

1. get two mono RCA cables of suitable length

2. comnect the SONOS' left output to the left A5X (unbalanced input, just above the XLR connector)

3. connect the SONOS' right output to the right A5X (same as above)

4. switch the A5Xs and SONOS on; enjoy the music (each speaker’s volume is controlled independently)

Directly to the SONOS, with Stereo Link:

1. get a stereo RCA cable of suitable length (two mono ones will also obviously work)

2. connect the SONOS' left output to the left A5X's unbalanced input (just above the XLR connector)

3. connect the SONOS' right output to the left A5X's "Stereo Link input"

4. connect the left A5X's "Stereo Link output" to the right A5X's unbalanced input using a mono RCA cable of suitable length.

5. switch the A5Xs and SONOS on; enjoy the music (both speakers’ volume is controlled by the left one's volume knob)

If you want to control the volume with the right A5X, reverse the connection listed in 2, 3 and 4 (i.e. SONOS > right A5X > Stereo Link output to the left A5X).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
EvPa said:
Broner said:
Also don't yet fully understand how to connect them. Was just reading through the manual: file:///C:/Users/Rob/Downloads/AX_man%20(6).pdf, but didn't yet fully grasp how I should connect them to the Sonos.

Ok so if connecting them directly to the SONOS, without Stereo Link:

1. get two mono RCA cables of suitable length

2. comnect the SONOS' left output to the left A5X (unbalanced input, just above the XLR connector)

3. connect the SONOS' right output to the right A5X (same as above)

4. switch the A5Xs and SONOS on; enjoy the music (each speaker’s volume is controlled independently)

Directly to the SONOS, with Stereo Link:

1. get a stereo RCA cable of suitable length (two mono ones will also obviously work)

2. connect the SONOS' left output to the left A5X's unbalanced input (just above the XLR connector)

3. connect the SONOS' right output to the left A5X's "Stereo Link input"

4. connect the left A5X's "Stereo Link output" to the right A5X's unbalanced input using a mono RCA cable of suitable length.

5. switch the A5Xs and SONOS on; enjoy the music (both speakers’ volume is controlled by the left one's volume knob)

If you want to control the volume with the right A5X, reverse the connection listed in 2, 3 and 4 (i.e. SONOS > right A5X > Stereo Link output to the left A5X).

I never bother with the Stereo link, I find it a pain. Just follow the instuctions above and set each speaker to the same level so that you get a good range of control on the Sonos volume. Tweak the exact levels to give accurate left/right balance.

Listen to the speakers for a while with all the rear controlls set flat. When you get a handle on the sound use them to adjust for speaker positioning and room balance.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think that's also more or less what I understood from the manual, but I just couldn't trust my interpretation. It felt... wrong. Will order some cables today, but I am currently also waiting for the Sonos to come in. Until then I can only just test one speaker connected with a jack plug to my computer.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I was sort of able to test the A5X a bit better today. I couldn't really position them properly as I needed to keep them close to each to connect them with one cable with a jack for the computer and 2 connectors for the speakers, but I think better position would have done little to alter my views.

Comparing it to my current setup Tannoy DC6T + NAD C356BEE I was disappointed. The difference in the lower regions is enormous and even though I figured I could cope with that, truth is: I can't. I will resell the ADAM A5X and for now I hang on to my current setup (with the addition of a sonos), with newfound appreciation (note that this is a positive lesson…).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts