Going active... Am I mad?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Even though I've just settled with my current system listed in my sig; the wife isnt keen on the hifi rack, amp, DAC and cables running along the floor etc...

So...

Would I be mad in selling my current system and going down the active route?

I'm thinking of just mid-range active speakers to connect to either my current ATV2 or I'd look to buy an Airport Express

Around £500 on speakers and then whatever necessary for stands and cables on top is around the figure I'm thinking.

The only ones I can think of currently are the Audioengine A5's, Epoz Actimate MAXI and the AVI 9.1's (I think that's what they're called) which my friends father has along with the dedicated AVI sub and in all honesty; I dont like them (so please dont suggest them) :p

What other active speakers should I consider?

A

Anonymous

Dan, if you don't like ADMs then consider some Dynaudio BM5A Mk2's, they're just over budget but highly rated speakers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
Dan, if you don't like ADMs then consider some Dynaudio BM5A Mk2's, they're just over budget but highly rated speakers.

They are £330 over budget and would still need 2 mains cables and two long signal cables to (at the very least) a seperate DAC (one with a volume control) with it's own mains cable + source.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
The Maxi's seem to be a fair bit cheaper than I remember. They weren't always £349, were they?

Is there perhaps a new version on the way with digital inputs (other than USB)?

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
ooh.. said:

They are £330 over budget and would still need 2 mains cables and two long signal cables to (at the very least) a seperate DAC (one with a volume control) with it's own mains cable + source.

Thanks Chebby

Yes; the Dynaudios aren't "just" over budget; they're well over the budget!

Speakers around the £500 mark please :D

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
ooh.. said:

Any actives will have power cables and a cable running from one to the other, and if he uses an AEX there'd be no need for a DAC. I didn't think they were that expensive though.

A

Anonymous

I'm not bothered about a power cable and one run of speaker cable to connect the active speakers...

Just don't want runs and runs of cable that we've got currently; it's more on show now as we got rid of our wooden av unit and moved to a 3 tier black glass unit!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
Any actives will have power cables and a cable running from one to the other, and if he uses an AEX there'd be no need for a DAC. I didn't think they were that expensive though.

The Aktimate Maxis would only need one mains cable, no seperate DAC, one signal cable (from master to slave unit) and could still have his ATV2 plugged in.

And it leaves £150 change from the budget.

And a 5 star review (when they cost £600 so probably 7 stars now they are £350 :) )

And a choice of finishes.

(And it has an integrated iPod dock and built in radio and remote control.)

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
ooh.. said:

The Aktimate Maxis would only need one mains cable, no seperate DAC, one signal cable (from master to slave unit) and could still have his ATV2 plugged in.

And a 5 star review (when they cost £600 so probably 7 stars now they are £350 :) )

All good, apart from the fact that they're not active :)

A

Anonymous

ooh.. said:
chebby said:
ooh.. said:

Do you know anything re the Epoz speakers?

http://www.aktimate.com.au/maxi.html

1st sentence; "active 2 way system"

Seriously; if you're going to poo-poo other people's threads trying to cause arguments please go do it somewhere else!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
ooh.. said:
chebby said:
ooh.. said:

Do you know anything re the Epoz speakers?

http://www.aktimate.com.au/maxi.html

1st sentence; "active 2 way system"

Seriously; if you're going to poo-poo other people's threads trying to cause arguments please go do it somewhere else!

If they do not have active crossovers they are not active, just powered (I don't know anything about their crossover though). This is a fact. I don't mean to be impolite, and there is some difficulty here; even very experienced, knowledgeable folk think powered is active, as the word is so widely used in that context. However, those people are, technically, wrong.

A

Anonymous

Those looks interesting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adam-Audio-Artist-Active-Loudspeakers/dp/B00532CGX4

Anyone have any experience with Adam Audio?

A

Anonymous

Why would you think i'm trying to cause an argument, Dan? I was trying to be helpful. Anyways, do carry on without me, it's my pleasure..

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the OP expressed any preference or requirement for the powered/active speakers to be 'true' active speakers. His prime requirement is a system with less clutter and a decent performance at the right price to fit his budget and attain domestic harmony.

Many companies use the term 'active' when referring to their products (even if they are - strictly speaking - 'powered') so why shouldn't their customers?

Active/powered or steam driven, the Aktimate Maxis are a respectable product from the Epos/Creek 'stable' that have garnered some excellent reviews and are worth considering.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
I don't think the OP expressed any preference or requirement for the powered/active speakers to be 'true' active speakers. His prime requirement is a system with less clutter and a decent performance at the right price to fit his budget and attain domestic harmony.

Many companies use the term 'active' when referring to their products (even if they are - strictly speaking - 'powered') so why shouldn't their customers?

Active/powered or steam driven, the Aktimate Maxis are a respectable product from the Epos/Creek 'stable' that have garnered some excellent reviews and are worth considering.

All perfectly right and fair, unlike having a go at someone who knows better. Technically, all th ecompanies you refer to are wrong, and when i find the great explanation im looking for ill post it.

EDIT - forget it, I can't find it. This is the second best.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
Around £500 on speakers and then whatever necessary for stands and cables on top is around the figure I'm thinking.

Considering your low budget I would be auditioning both active and passive systems.

The best £500 active speakers (IMO) are the Adam A5X although you would also need some sort of pre amp to go with these.

The best £500 passive system (IMO) would be the AVI Neutron 5's partnered with a decent amp that has at least 50 watts per channel.

A

Anonymous

steve_1979 said:
Nad_fanatic said:

Considering your low budget I would be auditioning both active and passive systems.

The best £500 active speakers (IMO) are the Adam A5X although you would also need some sort of pre amp to go with these.

The best £500 passive system (IMO) would be the AVI Neutron 5's partnered with a decent amp that has at least 50 watts per channel.

Thanks but both suggestions are going against what I'm after!

I want just a set of speakers & stands; no amps inc pre etc...

I think the Epoz Maxis and Adam Audio Artist 3's are looking most favourable currently

matthewpiano

I don't think you are mad nad_fanatic. In many ways the whole active/powered approach has a lot of appeal and if it brings domestic harmony whilst maintaining, or even improving, your enjoyment of music, then it is very worthwhile.

There seems to be plenty of decent active or powered speakers out there so have a little fun listening to a few different options and seeing what you think. Let us know how you get on - I'll be interested to hear your views.

T

the record spot

Nad_fanatic said:
Speakers around the £500 mark please :D

Knowing how much you like a good rich sound (I think) give the Yamaha HS80s a whirl. You'll need to get an adapter from Amazon or Maplin's to enable you to connect up some sources (I think they only have XLR or 1/4" inputs, so you need to get one but they are cheap and effective).

Suondwise, the Yammies are a big bold beast - effortless bass, but well controlled. If you've a larger room, they'll be fine. A bit too rich for smaller rooms at volume I think. Heard a pair again recently earlier this year in London and was very impressed. They look smart too and should come in somewhere around the £400 mark or less. Watch out, pro-audio monitors are often sold on a price-per-speaker basis, so if you see them for £200 or so, check the small print!

EDIT: Here's the review from Sound on Sound magazine.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/yamahas80m.htm

And here's the product spec from Yamaha's own site...

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/speakers/hs_series/hs80m/

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
it you don't care if you're buying truly active speakers (like mentioned Dynaudio) or just powered (like Epoz. yes they have passive xover) why don't you consider buying an amp with built in DAC. you'd have ATV -> DAC input in integrated amp -> your current speakers. definitely less clutter.

EDIT: in case of most active speakers it's ATV -> DAC with volume ctrl (I don't think you'd like the idea of separate DAC and preamp) -> active speakers.

as for Adams. well, they might be OK. but they are very small (only 4.5" midwoofer) and they are meant to be desktop speakers so there's no remote. you'll have get up every time you want to change the volume, which might be a bit of PITA in the long run.

Nad_fanatic said:
Even though I've just settled with my current system listed in my sig; the wife isnt keen on the hifi rack, amp, DAC and cables running along the floor etc...

So...

I'm thinking of just mid-range active speakers to connect to either my current ATV2 or I'd look to buy an Airport Express

The only ones I can think of currently are the Audioengine A5's, Epoz Actimate MAXI and the AVI 9.1's (I think that's what they're called) which my friends father has along with the dedicated AVI sub and in all honesty; I dont like them (so please dont suggest them) :p

Have you considered this? http://www.richersounds.com/product/mini-hifi-systems/marantz/mcr603/mara-mcr603. Ready to go and will (probably) take up less room. I'd keep the speakers. Using a standmount with dedicated stands takes up as much room as floorstanders.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi was that the sound of a large can of worms being opened I think active speakers are a marmite subject :rofl: I hope you find what you are looking for good luck:)

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Nad_fanatic said:

So...

Have you considered this? http://www.richersounds.com/product/mini-hifi-systems/marantz/mcr603/mara-mcr603. Ready to go and will (probably) take up less room. I'd keep the speakers. Using a standmount with dedicated stands takes up as much room as floorstanders.

Already had the Melody Media but sold it to go back down the separates route

A

Anonymous

toyota man said:
Hi was that the sound of a large can of worms being opened I think active speakers are a marmite subject :rofl: I hope you find what you are looking for good luck:)

Seriously; if you're not going to add to the topic with helpful comments/advice, don't bother to post!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts