Going active... Am I mad?!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
What about this:

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/raumfeld-speaker-m-p7384.html

Again, they're powered speakers & not active as claimed

You have an option to go multiroom in the future as well

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming.html

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
Even though I've just settled with my current system listed in my sig; the wife isnt keen on the hifi rack, amp, DAC and cables running along the floor etc...

So...

Would I be mad in selling my current system and going down the active route?

I'm thinking of just mid-range active speakers to connect to either my current ATV2 or I'd look to buy an Airport Express

Around £500 on speakers and then whatever necessary for stands and cables on top is around the figure I'm thinking.

The only ones I can think of currently are the Audioengine A5's, Epoz Actimate MAXI and the AVI 9.1's (I think that's what they're called) which my friends father has along with the dedicated AVI sub and in all honesty; I dont like them (so please dont suggest them) :p

What other active speakers should I consider?

I don't think you are going mad :shame: Indeed there are many people who have found bliss in an active set up and swear by them. The setup would be neater, fewer boxes and not to mention that you probably won't be able to match an amplifier as closely as they do. I see you have rounded up the usual suspects, just wondering why you don't like the Avi's.....they seem to have a cult following. Have you considered the Adam Audio Artist 3s? They have a ribbon tweeter and are known to be detail fanatics.....worth a look....cost about 800 us. Google audiophiliac adam audio and you'll find the review. Hope this helps,

Shafin

A

Anonymous

shafesk said:
Nad_fanatic said:
Even though I've just settled with my current system listed in my sig; the wife isnt keen on the hifi rack, amp, DAC and cables running along the floor etc...

So...

Would I be mad in selling my current system and going down the active route?

I'm thinking of just mid-range active speakers to connect to either my current ATV2 or I'd look to buy an Airport Express

Around £500 on speakers and then whatever necessary for stands and cables on top is around the figure I'm thinking.

The only ones I can think of currently are the Audioengine A5's, Epoz Actimate MAXI and the AVI 9.1's (I think that's what they're called) which my friends father has along with the dedicated AVI sub and in all honesty; I dont like them (so please dont suggest them) :p

What other active speakers should I consider?

I don't think you are going mad :shame: Indeed there are many people who have found bliss in an active set up and swear by them. The setup would be neater, fewer boxes and not to mention that you probably won't be able to match an amplifier as closely as they do. I see you have rounded up the usual suspects, just wondering why you don't like the Avi's.....they seem to have a cult following. Have you considered the Adam Audio Artist 3s? They have a ribbon tweeter and are known to be detail fanatics.....worth a look....cost about 800 us. Google audiophiliac adam audio and you'll find the review. Hope this helps,

Shafin

Didnt like the AVi's as I didnt feel that they sounded that good; even when the sub was added in I felt they were lacking and a bit aggressive at times.

My pals father even has a small Marantz/Rotel and B&W CM1 system in their dining room and I thought that sounded better but I suppose that's not a fair comparison

The ADAM Artist 3's are on my checklist as are the 5's (stretching the budget though) as well as the EPOZ Aktimate Maxi's, some Swan active speakers and a few others.

A

Anonymous

So this is what I'm looking at as a postential system set-up:

Active/powerd speakers (TBD)

Atacama Nexus 5i stands loaded with atabites

Music via iTunes/AirPlay to an Apple Airport Express OR stick with my ATV2 connected via optical to non-expensive DAC to speakers

I think the current shortlist of speakers will be (these are ones I can definitly demo):

EPOZ Aktimate MAXI's

ADAM Audio Artist 3's

ADAM A5X's

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
So this is what I'm looking at as a postential system set-up:

Active/powerd speakers (TBD)

Atacama Nexus 5i stands loaded with atabites

Music via iTunes/AirPlay to an Apple Airport Express OR stick with my ATV2 connected via optical to non-expensive DAC to speakers

I think the current shortlist of speakers will be (these are ones I can definitly demo):

EPOZ Aktimate MAXI's

ADAM Audio Artist 3's

ADAM A5X's

If you can find them, add RCF Ayra 6 to that list. You can probably get a pair for not much over £300 and I found them to be more than excellent. They look quite nice too :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts