Gladiator Remastered Blu-ray and Exchange Program

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Would this also apply to the steelbook collectors set as i'm presuming that disc 1 is the same for both versions ? could someone please confirm thanks

A

Anonymous

I dont get what they are doing.

They are exchanging the ones that people have bought as they said the quality is not up to par, but yet they still keep selling the same bad copies in the store.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not quite.

They'll continue to sell the copies that many people are happy with, but will replace discs with a newer, more thoroughly mastered version for those who weren't.

That newer version will become the default in later releases of Gladiator.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:

Indeed and until I get some guarantee that this new version is actually better from a source I trust, I won't be sending mine off.

There's a review available online if you do a Google search.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, but do I trust them...
emotion-5.gif

Interesting to note the comments on "improved" colours, with some suggesting it's now saturated and too vivid, whereas others saying it produces a better picture. Going to hold off still for the moment I think.

A

Anonymous

I think the main improvement over the original version is they have got rid of that nasty edge enhancement. That and the inconsistent use of DNR were the main gripes with the original.

A

Anonymous

NayTyson:I think the main improvement over the original version is they have got rid of that nasty edge enhancement. That and the inconsistent use of DNR were the main gripes with the original.

Its not just the EE or Dnr or the halo's,its a completely different transfer which looks like film.Saw this puppy yesterday on my mate's Dutch version.Its blows the old version out of the water in every department and its far from being demo material compared to other Blu ray titles.This proves how bad the original was and for the people that clearly new this and showed there dismay have won a battle.

Just like the studio's, this site is doing PR stunt to keep face.Their review of the original was shocking calling it very film like, when it was further away from film as you can get.Fine to those people who didn't have a problem with the original,but the fact is like me and many others it was slightly better than an upconverted dvd with artificial applications applied.

When you see the new transfer keep the old and see what i mean, and why such a big fuss was made.Studio's don't just make new transfers if the old one was OK or even average.Also doing an exchange program should be turning the light bulbs on people.Also Ridley Scott as also been involved with the new transfer step by step which is fact.So do you really think studio's do all that if there was nothing wrong with the original and they did it because they have money to burn.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

Oh come on, we didn't say it was perfect - it got four stars, and stressed that the sound was the biggest BD benefit
emotion-40.gif

As we said at the time, it's a clear step up from the DVD. If there's going to be an even-better version, that's superb news - wouldn't be first time and won't be the last that an initial disc release gets improved on.

The fact that Universal may be paying for that second release is great news - they could have just released an 'ultimate edition' etc (and i'm sure they will anyway).

You said it was very film like and what Ridley Scott intended.Not once did it ever look film like and the main reason we have a new transfer is because the first transfer was as far away as possible to what Mr Scott intended, and that's why he has personally supervised the new transfer.Trust me this is not just a transfer which as taken away artificial application but a complete new scan.

No studio in the world goes to this much length and cost and to give it away in an exchange programme if there was nothing wrong with the first scan, no matter what their press release says. Your review was shocking and once you view the new transfer you will see that this is the version which only looks like HD and not a upconverted dvd. Watch any medium and long shot and see the difference in real Hd. Example every stone in the desert or every blade of grass in the fields as no real definition in the old blu ray.Its a process mess of blotches and blur.Just wait to you see the new transfer which shows these for the first time on blu ray.

Please don't try and tell the people this new transfer as come about because this is what studio's do.This transfer as come about because of the out cry of the original blu ray and how poor it was.You told people in your review that the people complaining were wrong saying "what did they expect a Disney Film" What they expected was a film which should look like film with plenty of Hd detail in every scene.

So in conclusion the old version is not a clear upgrade from the dvd.Its not very film like, its not what Mr Scott intended and studios do not go back and do a 4k scan for new a transfer and then do exchange programme for free because they feel like it.Thanks to many professional reviewers who saw the faults and like me and Mr Scott any many others thouht the original was a poor blu ay and thats why we have new transfer. Just hope in time you enjoy the new transfer and except that the reason it has come about is because reviews like yours were wrong and all the complainer's were right.

D

Deleted member 2457

roger06:

Gazuk:Sent mine last week.
emotion-2.gif

Just the disc in an envelope or in the case?

Just sent my disc 1 in an envelope with my name and address
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

bryster:What's the turn around on the discs? I sent my over a week ago and have not got anything yet

They said they would have them in about a months time when they first released their first statement, so i guess a month from then plus a couple of days too a week.
emotion-21.gif

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
gel:
bryster:What's the turn around on the discs? I sent my over a week ago and have not got anything yet

They said they would have them in about a month's time when they first released their first statement, so i guess a month from then plus a couple of days to a week.
emotion-21.gif

So when's that? The WHF story was 6 Aug so was that the date they announced it?

I wonder how many they'll claim never to have received!

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

My new gladiator disc arrived this morning as well
emotion-2.gif

I sent mine off the day the exchange programme was announced so it took about 4 weeks.

Read a review on another site which gave it top marks for picture - can't wait to give it a try!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts