Gift Advice

Ljane

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
So I’m trying to buy my partner a turntable without him knowing hence I can’t ask any questions. He loves music, loves records, used to have a player (I’m not sure which one) but now has all his records still so he definetelt wouldn’t want a really cheap one that could damage them.

My budget is low (in this realm) and like £350ish so I have obviously looked at Rega, Pro Ject etc but I’m getting SO confused!!

He already has some KRK Rokit 5 speakers that he used for his decks. We also have a Sonos. Are either of these any good?

I know I also need a pre-amp and some are inbuilt? If anyone has any advice I appreciate it SO much!!! Also read that with Rega 1, it’s annoying if you have to change speed etc bht I’m unsure how important this is. As you can tell, I’m utterly clueless so please be nice :)

camcroft

I bought this turntable as a second turntable for conservatory use. It's within your budget easy to change speed and has a built in phono stage. I will say that I have a more expensive turntable in my main system but this unit really does surprise me with it's sound quality and it can be upgraded by buying the next stylus up the range at a cost of around £40 but it's not necessary if the sound is right out of the box. What will the rest of the system be I use mine with wireless speakers .
71aL6uoOvpL-1._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Here is a photo of my system with just the turntable and speakers403606333_3498484953738916_7027185177230309901_n.jpg

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
the Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT gets a lot of positive reviews. It’s got a built-in preamp so you can connect it directly to the Rokit speakers with a phono cable, and it’s got Bluetooth so you can have it wirelessly play through Sonos speaker as well.

camcroft

the Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT gets a lot of positive reviews. It’s got a built-in preamp so you can connect it directly to the Rokit speakers with a phono cable, and it’s got Bluetooth so you can have it wirelessly play through Sonos speaker as well.
That one doesn't get favourable reviews it only got 3 stars on here. I had one of their belt drive models and the motor sound was terrible I sent it back and bought the one I posted and am very happy with that one.

jjbomber

I know I also need a pre-amp and some are inbuilt? If anyone has any advice I appreciate it SO much!!! Also read that with Rega 1, it’s annoying if you have to change speed etc bht I’m unsure how important this is. As you can tell, I’m utterly clueless so please be nice :)
Get one (anything) from a reputable dealer who will let you exchange it if need be. The present is symbolic, and he will get what he really wants if/when he exchanges it. Far better than buying something he may not like and is stuck with.

Ljane

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
Thanks so much for all your advice! Just got off the phone to richer sounds. They said rokit speakers won’t work because there’s no right socket? That I would need active speakers, ideally steljas? They also recommended the audio technic 120 after I mentioned it…. Reading all the messages and appreciate them

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

Thanks so much for all your advice! Just got off the phone to richer sounds. They said rokit speakers won’t work because there’s no right socket? That I would need active speakers, ideally steljas? They also recommended the audio technic 120 after I mentioned it…. Reading all the messages and appreciate them
The problem with the Rokits is that they only have balanced inputs. The 120 only uses RCA connections. I have checked on Amazon and I see that they sell connectors from RCA to XLR ( Balanced ) the question is will they work.

Last edited:

Ljane

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
I’m getting more confused as time goes on haha. Not sure if he will want to just use the speakers he has but the setup will be in the living room and so we can’t have loads and loads of kit (if that makes sense)

I’m getting more confused as time goes on haha. Not sure if he will want to just use the speakers he has but the setup will be in the living room and so we can’t have loads and loads of kit (if that makes sense)
Perhaps your best bet is to forget the speakers you have and buy a complete turntable package?
Sometimes attaching a turntable to whatever it is you currently own isn't easy and isn't ideal.

Gray

He already has some KRK Rokit 5 speakers that he used for his decks.
If they are the model with 'Classic 5' written on the back, then the photo I saw showed an unbalanced RCA input.

If that is the case for you, then contrary to the advice from Richer Sounds, you do have the right connection to take the output from a turntable's built-in phono amplifier.

(If you've got any doubt - post a photo of the rear of the speaker and we'll tell you).

You would just need to run 2 single RCA to RCA plug cables:
Both plugged into the turntable output, with the other end of each going to each of the speakers.
RCA cables are available in various different lengths.

Presumably he no longer owns the decks he previously used with the Rokits?.....(he probably used a mixer, but might still have the necessary cables).

If is old decks were Technics, there's a real chance that a sub-£350 new deck might be a bit of a disappointment 😐

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears

Ljane

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
Let me show you what we have at home currently. Just the mixing unit and the speakers. I really appreciate everything and reading it all thoroughly!! Hmm it won’t let me upload photos for some reason let me see

Ljane

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
So it’s a pioneer ddj-400 mixer linked to these speakers at the moment. Photos won’t upload it says not supported :-( the speakers do have an unbalanced RCA point and a balanced TRS (whatever that means !!) thanks guys

Reactions: Gray

Ljane

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
I have also read about linking a Sonos Era to a rega 1 plus or another? Unsure if this is compromising on sound quality too tho. I’m going to be taking out a loan haha

Gray

So it’s a pioneer ddj-400 mixer linked to these speakers at the moment. Photos won’t upload it says not supported :-( the speakers do have an unbalanced RCA point and a balanced TRS (whatever that means !!) thanks guys
👍 Good, you've got both input options on your speakers.
(Balanced TRS is just a socket wired in parallel with the 3-hole (XLR) socket next to it - which allows a jack plug to be used instead of an XLR plug).

The Pioneer mixer has balanced XLR outputs, marked as 'Master Output 2'.
So it's likely that he has been using a balanced input on the Rokits.

The bottom line is that if you were to buy Camcroft's turntable in post #2, it could be connected directly to the Rockit speakers (or go via the mixer if preferred).

Note that the mixer has built-in phono preamplifiers.....which means that if the mixer stays in the setup, then any turntable you buy does not have to have a built-in preamp.

The Sonos Era 100 model has 'line input'.
If your model does, then you could use that if you preferred.

Last edited:

Ljane

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
If I bought a turntable with built in pre-amp (as most of the table it would be used alone with speakers) would he still be able to use that turntable with his mixing deck if he wanted to or would there be interference? I’m still struggling with all the options and think it might be easier to just get the sonos so it can link to the other sonos in the house…

If I bought a turntable with built in pre-amp (as most of the table it would be used alone with speakers) would he still be able to use that turntable with his mixing deck if he wanted to or would there be interference? I’m still struggling with all the options and think it might be easier to just get the sonos so it can link to the other sonos in the house…
The phono preamp built into turntable should be switchable so yes he could use it with the mixer.

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Based on your gear, perhaps an Audio-Technica AT-LP60X (currently the best selling turntable in the world) would be just fine?
It's what most of the millennials are using to play their highly priced and poorly pressed Taylor Swift LP's on.
It's about the same quality as a 1970's Garrard AT60... which is what most people listened to their vinyl on back in the day and so you will definitely get that 'authentic' vintage vinyl sound (don't get me wrong, in the days of yore Garrard did make some fine turntables... the Garrard 401 was used by the BBC in their studios) and a restored 401 with SME M2 tone arm today (mounted in a heavy plinth) would wipe the floor with most new turntables.
The Rega P1 and Pro-Ject T1 seem to be out of your price range but are probably the lowest priced options that will give you decent sound and protect the LP's.

Reactions: DougK1

Fandango Andy

So I’m trying to buy my partner a turntable without him knowing hence I can’t ask any questions. He loves music, loves records, used to have a player (I’m not sure which one) but now has all his records still so he definetelt wouldn’t want a really cheap one that could damage them.

My budget is low (in this realm) and like £350ish so I have obviously looked at Rega, Pro Ject etc but I’m getting SO confused!!

He already has some KRK Rokit 5 speakers that he used for his decks. We also have a Sonos. Are either of these any good?

I would go with the Pro-Ject Primary E Phono. They sound good, you really can't go wrong with Pro-Ject, easy to setup, and we'll within budget.

In built-in phono stage so you can plug into an active speaker, or you can bypass it if you upgrade to a hifi amp with a decent phono stage.

Ljane

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the continued advice. Going to put in an order today. I went to an audio t shop and they didn’t even let me listen to anything or have a look at any really. What he did say is just to get a Rega 1 but that Sonos wont do it justice. My budget can stretch to that. I appreciate all you actually know what you are talking about. But as a novice, is it likely that I would notice the difference between the pro ject and the Rega? If so, I might just go for the latter. My only concern now is whether to get an inbuilt phono. I have read it might be best to get seperate so can upgrade but is that just not necessary either? Thanks!!

Ljane

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
Well, I can stretch my budget a little bit but it feels impossible trying to work out as there’s no simple answer. Would he recognise a difference between audio Technica and rega 1, for example? I might just get the Technica. I have read so many reviews no my eyes are flung blurry!

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Well, I can stretch my budget a little bit but it feels impossible trying to work out as there’s no simple answer. Would he recognise a difference between audio Technica and rega 1, for example? I might just get the Technica. I have read so many reviews no my eyes are flung blurry!
It is ruddy confusing (y)

No snobbery intended whatsoever, but being brutally honest this isn't going to be a mid-range hi-fi setup in any way shape or form, it's budget friendly. You want something to play his records on, my first priority would be a nice clean and shiny LP hence the recommendation for a simple Knosti Disco Anistat cleaner:
Either the AT-LP60 or the AT-LP120 would suit his needs, or anything between these models.

TRENDING THREADS