Getting the best sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'd like to see if I can get more sound out of my system when playing blu-rays (especially).

I've set the s350 to output to direct, connected over HDMI, and the the STR-800 amp to... well here's my problem. I can set it to Esurround (and set that to either PL2, or Neutral THX) which is not bad, If i set the amp to Direct, i just get 2 channel stereo. Or I can use one of the pre-defined setting, again producing an OK sound. But, I wonder can I get any more out of this system. Or should I buy the S570 and would I get more from it.

The whole sound thing is very "front orientated" rather than an eveloping surround. I think I'm expecting more involvement from the rears.

Any suggestions to settings, changing the source or anything else will be appreciated.

I was slightly spoilt a few weeks ago when I was at WHF studios as part of the Big Question and heard what £30k+ system can sound like, but ...[:p]

Thanks

Mart

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Look at the receiver settings for HDMI audio. It should be set to AMP not TV/AMP if your TV is also connected to the receiver by HDMI.

If you have the latter setting, the amp will only output the sound in stereo as that is the output of the TV (two speakers). I know it sounds a bit crazy but that's how the Sony kit is set up.

If connected correctly and set up like I suggest, the receiver should indicate what sound you are getting from the BDP S350, (Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA or the older non HD flavours like DD5.1 or DTS 5.1), you do not need to engage esurround or neural THX, these are pseudo surround when listening to stereo sources. My Sony receiver also has a bright blue led on the front to show that it is receiving a surround signal from the blu ray player.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Dave

The amp is set to AMP. What should the BD be set to as there are a number of options - download mix, pcm etc?

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
This is how I have mine set...

Audio priority -> HDMI

Audio (HDMI) -> Auto

BD Audio -> Direct

Audio ATT -> Off

Dolby Digital -> Dolby Digital

DTS -> DTS

48 / 96 (mine is set to 96, 24 bit as my amp can accept this)

Audio DRC -> Auto

Downmix -> Normal

As long as you are playing a disc with a surround soundtrack, the player will send this unaltered to your receiver which should decode the audio automatically. As I mentioned earlier, with my amp, a blue light appears indicating a surround signal is being received and the type is displayed on the front panel

Hope this helps

Dave

A

Anonymous

Well, I've got home from work and had a little play with the settings and read the manual (yeah alright!!). Checked the Blue ray settings and they were fine, checked the amp and discovered that AFD auto was the setting needed to benefit from the direct imput from the bd player. Wow, now that's what i was hoping for. A little spin of Van Helsing with HD Master Audio and the brickwork (chp 2) was flying around the room. I now need to watch all my blu-rays again, just for the sound!

I had searched the forum for the right amp settings, but never came across the AFD auto setting, and even in the manual its in small print. Oh well, I'm glad I've found it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts