Question Genelec active speakers for hi-fi: how?

Moitochove

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Hi!
I'm a beginner in hi-fi. I have a pair of Genelec 8030 active speakers that I used for music production.
Now, I wanted to repurpose them for music listening, and I don't know what to do. My main doubts:
  1. What receiver, interface or streaming device could I use. I don't know the correct denomination for this. I want a budget-friendly device where I can connect the Genelecs and that I can use to stream music from my phone or computer, or even connect to other devices in the future (hi-fi system, TV, etc.).
  2. Can I use the XLR connections of the Genelec for this?
Thank you very much for your advice!

Gray

Hi!
I'm a beginner in hi-fi. I have a pair of Genelec 8030 active speakers
You're lucky.
You can make them part of a hi-fi setup in the same way you would with a pair of passive speakers - but without the need for separate amp(s).

You just need to feed them with a line output - in the same way you did when using them for music production.

Something like the ifi Zen DAC V2 might suit.
Say precisely what source(s) you want and you'll get suggestions 👍

Reactions: Moitochove

Moitochove

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
You're lucky.
You can make them part of a hi-fi setup in the same way you would with a pair of passive speakers - but without the need for separate amp(s).

You just need to feed them with a line output - in the same way you did when using them for music production.

Something like the ifi Zen DAC V2 might suit.
Say precisely what source(s) you want and you'll get suggestions 👍
Thank you very much!
I still don't know exactly what sources I'll use. For now, I'd like to stream directly from my phone or computer (bluetooth).
In the future, maybe a compact hi-fi system of some kind, or even a TV (if possible).

So I'm looking for something versatile.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thank you very much!
I still don't know exactly what sources I'll use. For now, I'd like to stream directly from my phone or computer (bluetooth).
In the future, maybe a compact hi-fi system of some kind, or even a TV (if possible).

So I'm looking for something versatile.
Yes, that Tangent is versatile, its even got a built-in phono preamp if ever you needed it.
Its optical input would take the digital output from a TV.
It does lack a USB input which precludes direct connection of PC (or phone) which has the potential to give slightly better quality than Bluetooth.
It's even got XLR outputs....preferable, though not essential - you can use RCA to XLR leads (or adaptors) if you were to get something with RCA only outputs.
Best of all though, it meets the 'budget friendly' criteria.

Remember, if not a dedicated pre-amp, then you need something with a 'preamp out'.
You mention a hi-fi system for example - but that may not have preamp out.

But If you've got a mixer from your music production days - then you could use it between the fixed 'tape output' of a hi-system and your Genelecs - to control volume.
In fact, depending on your mixer, it could take the outputs (and control the volume) of hi-fi separates - if, for example, you wanted to go for dedicated components such as the ifi Zen Blue* or Zen DAC.

*Why might you go for the Zen Blue, rather than something with BT built in?
Because by all accounts from reviewers and users, it's as good as BT gets:
Check their 'Air' range for even better value.

Last edited:

Moitochove

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Yes, that Tangent is versatile, its even got a built-in phono preamp if ever you needed it.
Its optical input would take the digital output from a TV.
It does lack a USB input which precludes direct connection of PC (or phone) which has the potential to give slightly better quality than Bluetooth.
It's even got XLR outputs....preferable, though not essential - you can use RCA to XLR leads (or adaptors) if you were to get something with RCA only outputs.
Best of all though, it meets the 'budget friendly' criteria.

Remember, if not a dedicated pre-amp, then you need something with a 'preamp out'.
You mention a hi-fi system for example - but that may not have preamp out.

But If you've got a mixer from your music production days - then you could use it between the fixed 'tape output' of a hi-system and your Genelecs - to control volume.
In fact, depending on your mixer, it could take the outputs (and control the volume) of hi-fi separates - if, for example, you wanted to go for dedicated components such as the ifi Zen Blue* or Zen DAC.

*Why might you go for the Zen Blue, rather than something with BT built in?
Because by all accounts from reviewers and users, it's as good as BT gets:
Check their 'Air' range for even better value.
Thank you very much for your help!

Moitochove

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
@Gray , @daytona600
I've came up with another idea.

I still have an audio interface that I used when I produced music with my computer. It has a standalone mode, so it doesn't need the computer.

I was thinking that perhaps I could add some sort of bluetooth receiver that connects to the line inputs of the interface (jack). In fact, I have a small, cheap bluetooth receiver with a minijack out. Can I use a stereo minijack cable to double jack for this?

My audio interface is a MOTU ultralite mk2: 1665133849068.png

The cable: 1665133901776.png

The bluetoth receiver is similar to this one, but with only a minijack output: https://www.amazon.es/Logitech-Bluebox-Adaptador-Bluetooth-función/dp/B00IRCDT7Y/ref=sr_1_41?

Thank you!

Gray

Yes, using that lead the line output of the Bluetooth receiver could go via your Motu to the Genelecs.

But the BT receiver can also connect directly to the Genelecs (with appropriate jack to XLR adaption). That's what I would do.
Why not give it a try?

Whether via Motu or direct you wouldn't have dual-gang control of volume - you would have to control L and R channels separately - so best to use phone to control BT volume to the receiver.

I've got the Ensinken version of that BT receiver, which I use for non- critical listening.
For better quality Bluetooth music listening, I'd want something like the Zen Blue feeding the Genelecs 👍

Last edited:

Moitochove

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Yes, using that lead the line output of the Bluetooth receiver could go via your Motu to the Genelecs.

But the BT receiver can also connect directly to the Genelecs (with appropriate jack to XLR adaption). That's what I would do.
Why not give it a try?

Whether via Motu or direct you wouldn't have dual-gang control of volume - you would have to control L and R channels separately - so best to use phone to control BT volume to the receiver.

I've got the Ensinken version of that BT receiver, which I use for non- critical listening.
For better quality Bluetooth music listening, I'd want something like the Zen Blue feeding the Genelecs 👍

Ok! Thank you so much!

record_spot

You can of course use a simple pro-audio pre-amp (passive or active, I've used both). Currently I have a Linn Kolektor preamp, which I needed as I used to have several bits and pieces I wanted to plug in. My AVIs only had one phono and two optical inputs. Not ideal! Not when one of them now is out of commission and the other's used by the telly!

So, the Linn does the heavy lifting for my turntable (Project phono preamp really, though the Linn has one too), my Arylic S10 Streamer and the Kenwood and a very early Cambridge CD player. The 752 currenty goes via the TV for movie duties only, though it's occasionally drafted in to the main stereo for music duties.

It's pretty straightforward to get your Genelecs hooked up to a standard stereo rig. I used to own some Acoustic Energy AE22 Actives which had the same connectivity, common in pro-audio. Then I used a JBL passive preamp that hooked up to my then Onkyo TX-NR818 amp, which was a stunner, this time used in preamp mode only (the JBL thus becoming the bridge between an older passive speaker setup and the AE22s).

As long as you find the bridge between your needs and your speakers that works well, then you're good to go.

These days, if I was looking for simplicity, then I'd find hifi gear with balanced / XLR outputs, which the Genelecs have. There's pretty much no consumer hifi sporting a 1/4" jack. Nuh-uh.

Work out what you need (the Tangent above might be it if your budget is limited) and go from there. There's plenty of gear now with balanced connections (well, more than there used to be in domestic hifi anyway!), but even if not, you have simple adaptors that are readily available for little cost that'll do the join between your gear and your speakers.

Moitochove

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
You can of course use a simple pro-audio pre-amp (passive or active, I've used both). Currently I have a Linn Kolektor preamp, which I needed as I used to have several bits and pieces I wanted to plug in. My AVIs only had one phono and two optical inputs. Not ideal! Not when one of them now is out of commission and the other's used by the telly!

So, the Linn does the heavy lifting for my turntable (Project phono preamp really, though the Linn has one too), my Arylic S10 Streamer and the Kenwood and a very early Cambridge CD player. The 752 currenty goes via the TV for movie duties only, though it's occasionally drafted in to the main stereo for music duties.

It's pretty straightforward to get your Genelecs hooked up to a standard stereo rig. I used to own some Acoustic Energy AE22 Actives which had the same connectivity, common in pro-audio. Then I used a JBL passive preamp that hooked up to my then Onkyo TX-NR818 amp, which was a stunner, this time used in preamp mode only (the JBL thus becoming the bridge between an older passive speaker setup and the AE22s).

As long as you find the bridge between your needs and your speakers that works well, then you're good to go.

These days, if I was looking for simplicity, then I'd find hifi gear with balanced / XLR outputs, which the Genelecs have. There's pretty much no consumer hifi sporting a 1/4" jack. Nuh-uh.

Work out what you need (the Tangent above might be it if your budget is limited) and go from there. There's plenty of gear now with balanced connections (well, more than there used to be in domestic hifi anyway!), but even if not, you have simple adaptors that are readily available for little cost that'll do the join between your gear and your speakers.
Thank you for your advice!

Reactions: record_spot

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts