Gas and electricity rip off bills rising!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

How does freezing energy bills at £2000 work? We are already paying a lot more than that. :mad:
The cap is on the unit price and standing charge....that's what get's frozen, the annual figure of £2000 is what (they say) the average household will rack up.
But people with say, multiple massive fancy TVs on for many hours🙂, will consume more units of electricity.....so get higher than average bills.

So they can't charge more for each unit - but you need to set your own cap on how many units you use.

Last edited:

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
The cap is on the unit price and standing charge....that's what get's frozen, the annual figure of £2000 is what (they say) the average household will rack up.
But people with say, multiple massive fancy TVs on for many hours🙂, will consume more units of electricity.....so get higher than average bills.

So they can't charge more for each unit - but you need to set your own cap on how many units you use.
We are always charging something too! (y)

Samd

Believe that utilities in both Germany and France are government subsidised, France moreso.

The French government forces majority state-owned monopoly producer EDF to offer more than a quarter of its production to suppliers at a huge discount on the current wholesale price. Historically, this cheap energy comes from an ageing fleet of nuclear power plants.

Reactions: WayneKerr
On the plus side, EDF has at least confirmed how I'll be getting my £400 rebate. If you pay by DDM, it'll be a £66/67 p.m. credit from October to March.
Unimpressed with EDF's website though. I thought I'd look to see how my payments are stacking up against usage, so I can decide whether to leave the rebates in the DDM account as a credit for the more expensive winter months. But the last information is that I was £39 in credit as of March. Not helpful at all.

The French government forces majority state-owned monopoly producer EDF to offer more than a quarter of its production to suppliers at a huge discount on the current wholesale price. Historically, this cheap energy comes from an ageing fleet of nuclear power plants.
A fleet??
Note that it also has the foresight to build a massive tidal power station in Brittany back in the sixties, something we should have done decades ago......

Reactions: WayneKerr
We've been trying to use less energy this year, and EDF tells us that it will be repaying £600-ish next week. It also tells us that our costs are going up, so the DDM will increase. I know we'll use more gas heating the house in the winter, but not that much, and definitely not with cap and subsidy coming in. Told them to leave it as it is...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts