Garrard 401. Please help

meddlecho

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
So, a short story. Recently my Dad passed away. He left me a wonderful Garrard turntable which I grew up with. He built the turntable & spent much money on it over the years updating & improving it. Vinyl sounds wonderful on it. However, I recently set it up in my home. I was very careful with the wiring. Then disaster, I turned it on & sparks flew plus it tripped out the house lights. Looking inside the turntable I can see that I've been very unlucky in that a earth wire had come undone. I have now reconnected it but alas I cannot get power to the turntable so something else has failed. This is where I struggle, the turntable is a mass of wires way beyond my knowledge. I can see a brown wire that is not connected but I have no idea what it should be attached to. To be honest it could be something else, I have no idea. Hifi shops are few and far between nowadays so I'm at a loss and looking for any advice/help from anyone on this forum. I would be very grateful. I have taken photos of the underside of the turntable, not sure if I can post photos on this forum. Anyway any help would be appreciated, I`m desperate to fix it. Thank you to anyway who reads this. Regards Simeon

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Try using Flickr for the photos, then someone may be able to help. Not me though, I'm useless. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

simonlewis said:
Don't know anyone called Garrard 401, is he a forum member ???

5bda4a83e3c9f6dda8d607dcafa8a81b_XL.jpg

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Aha...we now have the question :)

Think your best bet will be to take it to an electrician if you can't suss-out how to trace the power backwards from the motor. It will be reasonably simple to be honest. '401 is an idler-drive turntable so the route backwards from the motor to the power cable will be fairly simple with no complicated speed controller. I don't want to sound condescending at all but it will be just basic electrics, which won't phase any electrician (no pun intended).

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Pop over to hi fi wigwam, 2 or 3 of the guys over there restore 301's and 401's. One of them may be close enough to help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts