Future Classics

I just hope nobody mentions KEF LS50's...... :)

Kuzma 4Point 14 tonearm ......
Tom Evans 'Linear A' power amplifier and 'Vibe' preamp...
Chord 'Hugo 2' DAC
Franco Serblin 'Accordo' speaker..... or any Franco Serblin designed speaker come to that.

D

Deleted member 116933

Think you could add chord qutest to the list for modern DAC. Tannoy legacy speakers, jbl classics, klipsch heritage range, anything Sugden, any thing luxman the usual suspects.

Modern classics hummmmm always hard to tell but I'm starting to see speakers and amps on ebay go for more than what i bought them for new 20 years ago (extending your time frame i don't think 10 years is long enough)

So

NAD c320BEE starting to go double what i payed for it
the bigger brother c370 same
Marantz PM7200 especially the KI sig version
Mission 700 series the 701,2 and especially the 3's
B&W 602 s3 (good luck finding them without crumpled twitters)
some rotels 01, 02, 04

Wish i kept hold of some my stuff.

Reactions: Al ears

Svatopluk

Jan 6, 2021
Visit site
Think you could add chord qutest to the list for modern DAC. Tannoy legacy speakers, jbl classics, klipsch heritage range, anything Sugden, any thing luxman the usual suspects.

Modern classics hummmmm always hard to tell but I'm starting to see speakers and amps on ebay go for more than what i bought them for new 20 years ago (extending your time frame i don't think 10 years is long enough)

So

some rotels 01, 02, 04

Do B&W 602s3's count as 2010+? Not sure when they stopped making them. Had mine since cca 2001 now with 2 crumpled twitters and 1 crumpled mid range cone. Asked my son at the weekend what he was thinking of all those years ago (he is now 24). Had the grills back on since then. Apparently the sound is not effected but am not so sure.

So

some rotels 01, 02, 04

Do B&W 602s3's count as 2010+? Not sure when they stopped making them. Had mine since cca 2001 now with 2 crumpled twitters and 1 crumpled mid range cone. Asked my son at the weekend what he was thinking of all those years ago (he is now 24). Had the grills back on since then. Apparently the sound is not effected but am not so sure.
The Missions don't count do they? Manufactured 1998.
Same for PM7200 as I used to own one.
Did you perhaps miss the 2010+ specification?
Perhaps some of these were still in production then I don't know.

D

Deleted member 116933

The Missions don't count do they? Manufactured 1998.
Same for PM7200 as I used to own one.
Did you perhaps miss the 2010+ specification?
Perhaps some of these were still in production then I don't know.

Yeah, i started i added 10 more years to make it truly modern classics. Some were in production till 2010 in various forms and some still are BW's now of version 1000, aren't they.

I bought the pm7200 in 2004 when I was at uni ( but i think they also had another model older beforehand) i still have the WHF mag with the test in, paired with mission 780s (another modern classic), missions where still about in 2000 as I got mine as a gift when i left school

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 116933

As I stated I added 10 years to it.

All i know is the 20-15 year old products are now starting to go up in price, So that to me is classic status.

Yeah, i started i added 10 more years to make it truly modern classics. Some were in production till 2010 in various forms and some still are BW's now of version 1000, aren't they.

I bought the pm7200 in 2004 when I was at uni ( but i think they also had another model older beforehand) i still have the WHF mag with the test in, paired with mission 780s (another modern classic), missions where still about in 2000 as I got mine as a gift when i left school
Missed that, I just read your list.... apologies

DCarmi

Thing is there is a decent chance that in 20 years turntables, amps, speakers and even CD players will still be functional in 10 or 20 years time. I still have a working cassette deck from 1990, for instance.

The question in my mind would be around streamers and other connected devices. Would a 20 years old streamer still have app support? Would the internet radio provider still be around?

Reactions: Gray
A selection of my future classics -

ATC curved SCM11

ATC curved SCM40A

Naim Audio SuperNait 3

Naim Audio NAP300 DR

DENAFRIPS Ares II DAC

DENAFRIPS Terminator DAC

QLN Prestige 3

Audionet WATT

Acoustic Energy AE509

Monitor Audio Apex A10 and A40

Monitor Audio 5G Gold 200

JL Audio Gotham g123 v2

Last edited:

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I would hope that anything that Ken Ishiwata put his name to would become classic.
Then again, there are products which…
"I don’t know if you remember but [Sonus Faber] had one amplifier called Musica. They’re not allowed to use my name for marketing but I designed that amplifier many years ago because Franco was not satisfied with any amplifier that he wanted to get, so I said “OK, maybe I can help you”. So, I designed the amplifier and I let Franco decide, and then they marketed it."

Gray

Thing is there is a decent chance that in 20 years turntables, amps, speakers and even CD players will still be functional in 10 or 20 years time. I still have a working cassette deck from 1990, for instance.

The question in my mind would be around streamers and other connected devices. Would a 20 years old streamer still have app support? Would the internet radio provider still be around?
And there is the relevant point.
Look at any true 'classic' from the past.
It has to be durable enough to stand the test of time.
All its functions must still be able to work.
Think about some of today's products......40 years later.
There are people who think 9 years is a good life for a product - I'm not one of those people.

Reactions: DCarmi and Al ears

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
For that kind of perspective, why don't we recall WHF's Andy Madden recently naming 14 legends:
And there is the relevant point.
Look at any true 'classic' from the past.
It has to be durable enough to stand the test of time.
All its functions must still be able to work.
Think about some of today's products......40 years later.
There are people who think 9 years is a good life for a product - I'm not one of those people.

This is a tricky one. Depends on how you define a classic, what criteria a product needs.

IMO it has to be flexible, punch well above its price tag...

For me I would call PMC DB1i a classic or future classic: Matches well with many amplifiers, not too fussy about positioning and still sounds fabulous.

Also my old Arcam A65 Plus. Although very much a budget amp it performs better than most sub-£1000 integrated amps, not too fussy about speakers, although I would avoid really hard to drive monitors due to its modest 40 watts per channel.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
The European Audio Team (EAT) products seem to be universally praised.
I can't speak for the Jo 5 or Jo 8 cartridges, but I have personal knowledge of both the E GLO Petit and E GLO S phono stages.
Both sound incredible and in the case of the Petit particularly, punches well above its weight.

The European Audio Team (EAT) products seem to be universally praised.
I can't speak for the Jo 5 or Jo 8 cartridges, but I have personal knowledge of both the E GLO Petit and E GLO S phono stages.
Both sound incredible and in the case of the Petit particularly, punches well above its weight.
I would agree the Petit could become a classic as it is extremely good at what it does and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
I note some are suggesting amplifiers that are £12,500.... and that's with only one dealer in the UK (as far as I can see) so hardly a future classic in my opinion.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
The Rega Brio-R stereo amplifier for sure. What a amazing sounding amp for under £500. It's bigger and more expensive brother the Rega Elicit-R stereo amplifier will no doubt be a future classic too. The mains powered wireless speaker the Naim Mu-So will also go down as a classic just because it looks so very gorgeous.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts