Furutech, Russ Andrews etc

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would like to hear from people that have actually used (!) any of the above or similar to either good effect or otherwise.

I am open minded about this as I have never experimented with plugs, power leads etc other than with a tacima which does make a difference. Its system dependant but overall I'd say its more useful than not.

The usual suspects ie. you that have never used any such products but like to give your uninformed opinions, please stay away from this thread and let the boys and girls that have give their opinions ok. Aunty drummerman will not be kind to gate crashers ...

regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dear Aunty D

My experience is with Furutech. I have some of their connections on the end of other brand cables (Clearer Audio), and have heard their mains cables, which have made a worthwhile improvement. IMO Their products are well made, have a great reputation and work well.

I have never heard a Russ Andrews product, but my hunch would be to go with Furutech.

Cno

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have used Russ Andrews Silver Streak and PBJ interconnects. To be honest I could not hear any improvements over much cheaper basic Atlas interconnects. They were both well made but not worth the money to my ears. I sold them for what I paid on Ebay.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a Furutech plug (on USB converter) and a Tacima block (used on computer and monitor only). If I could keep only one I'd choose the plug.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Good evening Aunty D. :grin: My experience is with the Tacima mains filter.

With the AVI Neutron 2.1 system it makes no difference.

With a Yamaha RX-V365 receiver it made no difference.

With a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver is did seem to make a very small improvement to the sound. However this was a sighed rather blind test so any apparent change in the sound that I heard may have been nothing more than my own expectation bias.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
I would like to hear from people that have actually used (!) any of the above or similar to either good effect or otherwise. I am open minded about this as I have never experimented with plugs, power leads etc other than with a tacima which does make a difference. Its system dependant but overall I'd say its more useful than not. The usual suspects ie. you that have never used any such products but like to give your uninformed opinions, please stay away from this thread and let the boys and girls that have give their opinions ok. Aunty drummerman will not be kind to gate crashers ... regards

I have used various mains power cables in the form of a variety of cable construction types, including exotic DIY types using aircraft grade cables. I have also used different power cables from various devices around the house, kettle, Pc and power supply for example. I heard no discernable differences, never mind improvements, with the exception of one Pc cable, that turned out to have a dodgy connection on one of the pins.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Good evening Aunty D. :grin: My experience is with the Tacima mains filter.

I had a Tacima and hated it. Found it made the sound dull and suppressed dynamics, when connected to my amp.

Sold it on a couple of days later.

Given the hype, my expectation bias was high.....still sounded EDITED! :shifty:

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
While I don't have different brands of speaker cables anymore because of 60 feets runs required...I could tell the difference between qed and chord interconnects...in the end I wound up with my pure av interconnects. All 3 were around the 40 pound mark.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Mains cables do not do much on thier own.. you have to invest in a proper mains conditioner to get any real results. Cables on their own change the sound, but depends on if it is the type of change you are looking for. From my experience mains cables seem to clean up the sound & in most cases make systems sound clinical.

If you got a boomy sounding system mains cables may well be the solution.

Warning!!.. if you got bad room acoustics buying mains cables will emphasize the problem more.

I would always go dwn the route of room treatment first if this is posible.

A

Anonymous

UNPUBLISHED BY MODS PENDING INVESTIGATION

The UK Plugs & Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 require that all 13A plugs sold in this country to fit standard UK sockets comply with BS 1363-1, and have been specifically approved (eg by BSI or Intertek/ASTA) and marked as such. There is a maximum penalty of six months imprisonment for contravening these regulations.

Furutech 13A plugs do not comply with BS 1363-1, and they have not been approved. It is therefore completely illegal for them to be supplied in the UK.

The regulations also cover the fuses fitted to BS 1363 plugs, these must comply with BS 1362 and be marked accordingly. Many audiophile fuses offered for sale in the UK do no comply and are also illegal. Many of these illegal fuses have no arc suppresant within the cartridge, so if they are subject to short circuit conditions they will explode. See this Electrical Safety Council page for a video showing a fuse exploding.

Please stay safe while enjoying your hobby.

Ann West, PlugSafe.org.uk

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I have changed a few Furutech IEC Gold sockets and TBH apart from the workmanship I can't hear any difference when compared with the cheap stock IEC socket in my system :doh: I have never tried RA products.

daytona600

[UNPUBLISHED BY MODS - advertising]

improving your mains on a very well balanced system will help a lot.

best i have ever heard are lessloss dfpc signature with gold plated furutech 3pin plugs

www.lessloss.com

T

the record spot

DM, somebody on Gumtree in the Edinburgh area is flogging some Russ Andrews Yello kettle leads for a tenner. Might as well give em a go for that money.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
My experience :

Tacima - i thought at first was an improvement but later switching around led me to believe it surpressed the sound as well so i dropped it for the hifi and use instead for the tv.

Furutech - not used but i imagine its results would be similar to ...

Russ Andrews - use a number of these including a main extension block with silencer, power leads into amp, cd and dac (of different prices with the most expensive in the amplifier and cheaper in the dac) plus a plug in conditioner. Also i use the wooden feet on the Partingtons on the oak floor plus some of their speaker cables.

I personally do hear a difference. In my last house in a big city it was especially noticeable. Difficult to say whats best but a form of conditioner extension and power lead does clean up the sound and lift a veil or two. I particularly like their speaker cable too.

You can also go to extreme, i also tried extra earth leads connections with no extra perceivable value.

The test is i now live by the coast and i do think the day to night changes on my hifi are much less. But i am keeping my cables as i like to think every little helps. My system does sound amazing and if i remove all the cables and go back to the core system it isnt quite as good. Its a way of grabbing a bit extra out of a decent system when you maxed out what you can afford on hardware.

You can buy on 30 day trial too which helps ease the concern.

A

Anonymous

i used batteries in my t amp, i then used a cb transformer...i thought the transformer sounded better? i have a tacima mains lead..im assuming the cleanest power is from batteries? i didnt notice anything! so i wont bother with power leads, power conditioners etc..i have used some russ andrews products...the cd cleaning stuff..my own concoction worked better..

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have tried russ andrew products. Their do change the sound, but am not sure if the mains cables did what i liked. Am currently using Russ andrews Crystal 24 speaker cables which are very expensive, but think it is really worth it. It opened up the sound stage, with a rich focus sound. I have good speakers to show the change in my cables. So again depends what system you use the cables in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts