Fun comparison

matthewpiano

I've ended up with a Pioneer A400 I sold coming back to me for reasons I won't bore anyone with here, and temptation has got the better of me, so I'm currently trying it to see how the Roth Oli 2s work with amplification other than the NAD. I'm also interested to see how the A400 works with the Atlas/QED cable combination rather than the Chord stuff I tried it with before. It is too early to come up with any conclusions yet, but I'll report back after some more listening. I may end up re-selling the Pioneer but I think I might as well have some fun first!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Will you just STOP it?!?!
emotion-8.gif

Dangerous game me things
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Stop right there......Matt....you don't know where this could end up!
emotion-51.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:igglebert:You need some AVI ADMs...really...

No you don't...
...sorry, some Aktimate Maxis...

matthewpiano

Ha ha!!

Well this is more a case of, 'Well it is there, and it would be rude not to give it a chance' more than being about any dissatisfaction.

Those AktiMates look excellent but I rather like my Roths.

matthewpiano

An afternoon of comparing and listening has produced some interesting results.

The Roths have showered themselves in honour to be honest. They seem transparent enough to really show the differences in the two amplifiers, even down to quite subtle details. They have proven themselves to be gregarious partners too. The Rotel RCD965BX has also shown what a superb CD player it is.

The NAD is excellent. Partnered with the Roths it produces a big, dynamic and detailed sound and works well with a wide range of music. It is fluid in the midrange with a slight tendency to over-spotlight this area over the frequency extremes, but it is never less than enjoyable. There is a good sense of the scale of an orchestra and decent sound staging, although on occasion it can be hard to exactly pin-point individual instruments. In rock/pop music it maintains impressive control, only starting to sound slightly compressed when things get really complicated as in the busiest sections of Midlake's 'The Courage of Others', for example.

However, switching to the Pioneer proves that it is, without doubt, the better amplifier. It loses the slight degree of low-end confusion that can affect the NAD and replaces it with a tight and tuneful bass, really gripping the Roths and making them do exactly as they are told. The midrange strength of the Roths continues to shine through but the Pioneer never gives into the slight glossiness that the NAD can be guilty of here. The clarity of voices and instruments is quite spectacular and shows how well designed the little Roths really are. At the treble end things are more open and natural again and there is a tangible sense of atmosphere. All told, it is a very 'live' sound with huge dynamic range and superb levels of detail and the whole thing hangs together beautifully. In orchestral music the Pioneer makes better sense of the contrasting tonal qualities of different instruments and the sound staging is pin sharp and perfectly stable. There is never the slightest sense of compression even when things get very busy and playing the Midlake album is almost like being in the studio with the band. Playing Claudio Arrau's recording of a Brahms Piano Concerto was a revelation with the piano beautifully resolved and the excitement of all the interplay delivered very convincingly.

At this stage I'm not selling either amp, just in case, but on today's evidence it looks like having the Pioneer sent back has had an unexpected benefit!

I'll let you know how things go on.

matthewpiano

the_lhc:Why did you sell the Pioneer in the first place then?

I clearly didn't hear it with the right speakers and/or cables. I suspect as well as the Roths being a great match, the Atlas/QED cabling is quite a bit better than the Chord stuff.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:the_lhc:Why did you sell the Pioneer in the first place then? I clearly didn't hear it with the right speakers and/or cables. I suspect as well as the Roths being a great match, the Atlas/QED cabling is quite a bit better than the Chord stuff.

ahh, these bring back memories the Rotel & Pioneer combo - mine used to drive the Sony APM 22ES as well as Wharfedale Diamonds II. That Amp was a revelation in its day. Are you going to add a DAC to this setup? The Dac-in-the-Box of that era worked well when I briefly had it.

T

the record spot

Who'd have thought it...! Well, it's fun to chop and change at times, though I'll be happy when my amp hunt comes to an end I have to admit!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts