front ported vs rear ported speakers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think it has to do with aesthetics and speaker placement, with front ported often being more versatile with regard to where it can be located.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think it has to do with aesthetics and speaker placement, with front ported often being more versatile with regard to where it can be located.

Unless you are going to put speakers tight to a wall there should be little difference.

At very high levels yo can get port noise, either 'chuffing' or reflections from inside the cabinet, this is more noticeable with front ported enclosures. However we are talking pretty loud here.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
B&W do the golf ball dimples thing on their reflext port tubes, claiming it reduces chuffing noise. I never seem to hear chuffing with rear ported speakers while playing very loud but OK, maybe some actually do.

Flowport.jpg

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
One of the reasons I bought my Spendors was because they are rear ported. The foam bungs in the front ports of my old TDLs had become rather unsightly having be sprayed so many times by Pissing Pippin (cat).

robbie1982 said:
Why do some companies make rear ported and others front ported is there any real sound differences between the two

There shouldn't be any real difference unless the speaker is close to a wall. In addition, with small standmounts there's no room to place a port at the front. FWIW, my old RS6s were ported back and front.

Wherever a port is placed it will make little difference to sound. The same box ported on the front or rear will inevitavbly 'sound' pretty much the same.

A port is placed where it is based on design constraints and aesthetics.

You could always go with a non-ported speaker if you wish.:)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Singslinger said:
I'm far from tech savvy but I vaguely recall that infinite baffle speakers tend to have slightly lower-than-average sensitivity (?)

The handful of bookshelf ones still being made tend to be lower in sensitivity. It wasn't always thus.

My JPW Sonatas are 87dB @ 8 Ohms and my old Naim nSats were about the same. (Both small cabinets.)

Possibly a sign of the times. My old Heybrook HB1's were quoted as 90dB @ 8 Ohms .

Quite often these figures have to be taken with a pinch of salt though as what manufacturers quote and what is actually measured can, in some cases be wildly different.

Manufacturers are given more leeway, these days, to produce speakers of lower sensitivity because they know most people are going to be using them with moderately powerful solid-state amps.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
My neats are under ported, I'm not a speaker designer but think it helps with there nice low bass lines.
True about this. I listened to the neat SX1 & was really surprise the amount of bass these little floor standers produced. Also boom free.!

stevebrock said:

:) To be fair he did say 'small'

Some on the list I would not consider to be particularly small (in the DB1 sense).

However, chebby has a point and if an enclosure needs a port they generally find a place to put it (even if it is more ofter a slot these days.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:

Most are 30cm (or less) in height. That's small. The DB1is (your reference) are 29cm tall.

I'll grant you the Harbeths though.

It wouldn't take long to put together another list of small bookshelf / standmounts with front ports. As I said, there are lots.

I just wanted to point out that the exceptions to the statement "... with small standmounts there's no room to place a port at the front" are many and various :)

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
I just wanted to point out that the exceptions to the statement "... with small standmounts there's no room to place a port at the front" are many and various :)

25cm tall, while also integrating a power supply, two 25W A/B amplifiers and volume control:

HZqBYSq.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I see your A3x and raise you with this....

equator-audio-research-d5-640-80.jpg

Equator D5, same size (more or less) but with a bigger 5.25 inch dual concentric, inbuilt DSP and 50 + 50 watts continuous.

Less than £400pr if you look around.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
EvPa said:
chebby said:

25cm tall, while also integrating a power supply, two 25W A/B amplifiers and volume control:

HZqBYSq.jpg

I kept off the actives and 'powered' and desktop speakers just to prevent PP from accusing me of cheating. (He doesn't 'do' all that active stuff or desktop speakers.)

Another three small, front ported, standmount (passive) speakers ...

http://www.whathifi.com/review/guru-junior

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Loudspeakers,Muso.htm

http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/loudspeakers/majik-109 (Just 3cm taller than DB1is)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
EvPa said:
chebby said:

HZqBYSq.jpg

I kept off the actives and 'powered' and desktop speakers just to prevent PP from accusing me of cheating. (He doesn't 'do' all that active stuff or desktop speakers.)

Another three small, front ported, standmount (passive) speakers ...

http://www.whathifi.com/review/guru-junior

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Loudspeakers,Muso.htm

http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/loudspeakers/majik-109 (Just 3cm taller than DB1is)

After all he is a mine of info

TRENDING THREADS