Front ported vs rear ported speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Possibly, but I've never owned ATC, many reviews state they need a good amount of volume to sound their best. Sealed boxes have certainly worked well for me.
Cheers Doug. Looking at B&W and ATC user manuals, they both recommend much more breathing space around their speakers, whereas PMC openly claim theirs to be more forgiving. Can't see past the Prodigy 1s to be honest.

Reactions: Al ears and DougK1

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Would 80w per channel be enough to drive the ATCs?

It's at the lower end but within spec.

Take your amp with you if your demoing, most dealers are happy to do this and some even recommend it.
It's a definitive way of preventing most prospective mistakes.
Drivers: HF ATC 25mm Neodymium Soft Dome, Mid/LF ATC 125mm SC
Matched Response: ±0.5dB
Frequency Response (-6dB): 60Hz-22kHz
Dispersion: ±80° Coherent Horizontal, ±10° Coherent Vertical
Sensitivity: 84dB @ 1W @ 1metre
Max SPL: 103dB

•Recommended Power Amplifier: 75 to 300 Watts•

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohm
Crossover Frequency: 2.5kHz
Connectors: Binding Posts/4mm Plugs, bi-wire
Cabinet Dimensions (HxWxD): 300 x 174 x 215mm / 11.81 x 6.85 x 8.46″ (grill adds 28mm depth)
Weight: 7.5kg

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Cheers Doug. Looking at B&W and ATC user manuals, they both recommend much more breathing space around their speakers, whereas PMC openly claim theirs to be more forgiving. Can't see past the Prodigy 1s to be honest.
I have similar placement issues to you - mine are on wall brackets. Had PMC DB1 Gold's in my system for many good years, they differ from the Prodigy as they were rear vented but worked far better in that situation than any rear-ported speaker. They eventually lost out to Harbeth P3's which completely removed a minor bass-boom issue I had with the DB1's.

A home loan of the Prodigy would be great if your dealer is open to it.

Reactions: bartlett23
I cannot think of many speakers which might work ok in such a compromised position, but the tiny Neat Iota might be worth a try. I’d also try the ATC SCM7 as previously suggested, as you’re not going to play that loudly from that location, surely?

I can’t tell what height you have available, but I’d allow a space as you may find something like Isopucks are a useful product to insert below the speakers.

It might have been an option to consider active KEF LSXII had you not already got amp and streamer, as they have DSP to compensate for close proximity to a wall.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I cannot think of many speakers which might work ok in such a compromised position, but the tiny Neat Iota might be worth a try. I’d also try the ATC SCM7 as previously suggested, as you’re not going to play that loudly from that location, surely?

I can’t tell what height you have available, but I’d allow a space as you may find something like Isopucks are a useful product to insert below the speakers.

It might have been an option to consider active KEF LSXII had you not already got amp and streamer, as they have DSP to compensate for close proximity to a wall.
The Neat Iotas are a really good shout, thanks. Defo one to consider!

Reactions: nopiano
Drivers: HF ATC 25mm Neodymium Soft Dome, Mid/LF ATC 125mm SC
Matched Response: ±0.5dB
Frequency Response (-6dB): 60Hz-22kHz
Dispersion: ±80° Coherent Horizontal, ±10° Coherent Vertical
Sensitivity: 84dB @ 1W @ 1metre
Max SPL: 103dB

•Recommended Power Amplifier: 75 to 300 Watts•

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohm
Crossover Frequency: 2.5kHz
Connectors: Binding Posts/4mm Plugs, bi-wire
Cabinet Dimensions (HxWxD): 300 x 174 x 215mm / 11.81 x 6.85 x 8.46″ (grill adds 28mm depth)
Weight: 7.5kg
The recommended wattage should tell you something..... :)

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
They look beautiful in rosewood. London to Edinburgh is a bit too far for a demo, but I’m sure they’re amazing.
Yeah, rosewood only available on the XD version, they'll cost you a cool £grand more :) Might be worth a bell to see if they have a pair they'd be willing to loan you for a week. Failing that there are some Harbeth dealers in the London area.

I'm sure you'll love the Prodigy 1's though (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and bartlett23

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, rosewood only available on the XD version, they'll cost you a cool £grand more :) Might be worth a bell to see if they have a pair they'd be willing to loan you for a week. Failing that there are some Harbeth dealers in the London area.

I'm sure you'll love the Prodigy 1's though (y)
Cheers Doug, much appreciated. And thanks all for the amazing advice and discussion, been super helpful. Will keep you posted!

Reactions: Gray and DougK1
I can highly recommend Harbeth P3s. Excellent little speakers and should work well with Arcam A15, if it has 80 watts per channel. Same power as my Leema. Also recommend Neat Acoustics. I demoed the tiny SX2s, like the Prodigy 5, they are compact floorstanders.

Also, for compact floorstanders Dali Oberon 5 are another tempting proposition.

gasolin

Speaker with ports + foam plugs (my triangle titus ex doesn't com with foam plugs)

Wharfedale aura 2 has side ports aura 1 is 2 way

In Denmark you can have a pair for under 1000 euros and 1500 euros

WHARFEDALE-AURA-2-7[1].jpg

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
If you're budget can stretch, I can recommend the newish Neat petite classics, absolutely excellent standmounts, very shallow speakers, so gives you the opportunity to give them decent breathing space between them and the wall...if not then the Dali menuet se version should also be worth a bit of consideration.....I previously owned original pmc twenty 21....also cracking speakers and don't think you can go much wrong with the prodigy....but..pmc's like lots of power, by that I don't really mean watts...they really respond well to amps with beefy toroidal transformers....

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
If you're budget can stretch, I can recommend the newish Neat petite classics, absolutely excellent standmounts, very shallow speakers, so gives you the opportunity to give them decent breathing space between them and the wall...if not then the Dali menuet se version should also be worth a bit of consideration.....I previously owned original pmc twenty 21....also cracking speakers and don't think you can go much wrong with the prodigy....but..pmc's like lots of power, by that I don't really mean watts...they really respond well to amps with beefy toroidal transformers....
Thanks, and much appreciated. The Neats look great, but sound fussy in terms of positioning. I auditioned the PMCs and B&Ws at the weekend. Was drawn to the brighter treble of the B&Ws which surprised me, but still a bit nervous about placing them near the wall (B&W suggest at least 50cm).

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
If you have limited space, front ported designs work best in terms of positioning. You can have these placed near the wall without extenuating or overcooking the lower frequencies.
Notwithstanding, some rear port speakers defy the logic, I would suggest listening to both rear/front speakers at your local dealership. Perhaps they can replicate the positioning of your home speakers, this should give you an idea, what would work best for you.

Gray

If you have limited space, front ported designs work best in terms of positioning. You can have these placed near the wall without extenuating or overcooking the lower frequencies.
Notwithstanding, some rear port speakers defy the logic, I would suggest listening to both rear/front speakers at your local dealership. Perhaps they can replicate the positioning of your home speakers, this should give you an idea, what would work best for you.
I'm guessing that you might not have read too many of the previous posts Jason 😉

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Thanks, and much appreciated. The Neats look great, but sound fussy in terms of positioning. I auditioned the PMCs and B&Ws at the weekend. Was drawn to the brighter treble of the B&Ws which surprised me, but still a bit nervous about placing them near the wall (B&W suggest at least 50cm).
Interesting (y) I'm guessing the auditioned speakers were in free space? Is there any way the shop would be open to a home loan?

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts