Front ported vs rear ported speakers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Interesting (y) I'm guessing the auditioned speakers were in free space? Is there any way the shop would be open to a home loan?
yeah, acres of free space! loved the tight, tuneful bass of the PMCs and just think they're going to be happier in that space than the B&Ws. home loan could be an option, but i'll be moving in the next year or so, and will have to do this all over again! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Gray

Was drawn to the brighter treble of the B&Ws which surprised me
It would surprise quite a few of those that seem allergic to HF, but I'm with you on liking treble - not exaggerated, but certainly nothing rolled off or veiled.

Shame the B&W aren't front ported.
I swapped to front ported CDM1-NT from some nice little Proac Tablette Reference 8...nice apart from the rear ports - causing an unlistenable one-note bass. Sounded fantastic in the demo room though, and that's why home loan is essential.

@skinnypuppy71 is right about the Petite Classics being great (as they should be for the price - with an extra £300 for the oak finish!!). They've got two rear ports, tuned to different frequencies - I had them on home loan - bunged or unbunged, ultimately compromised by proximity to front wall in a small room.

As I said before, port position really has been make or break for me - and very likely to be for you....don't buy without home trial.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
yeah, acres of free space! loved the tight, tuneful bass of the PMCs and just think they're going to be happier in that space than the B&Ws. home loan could be an option, but i'll be moving in the next year or so, and will have to do this all over again! :ROFLMAO:
Absolute bummer! Maybe wait until you move...or have you got an itch you need to scratch now? :)

Reactions: bartlett23

Gray

...But whether it's the PMCs (or the B&Ws), I'm pretty sure I'll be future proofing myself.
You will 👍
And maybe the new house will accommodate some stands to really let you appreciate what they can do.

(Must say I saw the Prodigy 1 in the window of my local hi-fi shop again yesterday. I know WHF speak of the aesthetics reflecting the 'entry level' price - but I think they look great - much better than in photos).

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
You will 👍
And maybe the new house will accommodate some stands to really let you appreciate what they can do.

(Must say I saw the Prodigy 1 in the window of my local hi-fi shop again yesterday. I know WHF speak of the aesthetics reflecting the 'entry level' price - but I think they look great - much better than in photos).
exactly this! (y)

Reactions: Gray
It would surprise quite a few of those that seem allergic to HF, but I'm with you on liking treble - not exaggerated, but certainly nothing rolled off or veiled.
I like crisp treble presentation, always have done.

My concern is @bartlett23 room looks like it has wooden floorboards which could tip the B&Ws over what is comfortable on long listening sessions.

Having recently seen (not heard) the Prodigy 5 at Sevenoaks Sound and Vision in Guildford, they will accommodate a 4x4 meter room without any nasty LFs.

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray
I like crisp treble presentation, always have done.

My concern is @bartlett23 room looks like it has wooden floorboards which could tip the B&Ws over what is comfortable on long listening sessions.

Having recently seen (not heard) the Prodigy 5 at Sevenoaks Sound and Vision in Guildford, they will accommodate a 4x4 meter room without any nasty LFs.
I wonder where the " no room for floorstanders " statement came from or, indeed, went?

twinkletoes

If it where me Id seriously consider some active speakers that allow for tuning of there sound though it seem like you would like to keep the arcam and Cambridge audio MX.

If you did look to the left there are a few they could would work. Just food for thought nothing more

for example and they do a 30 day home trial.

And dare I say as it's a very dirt word! as long as you dont need legacy connections and becasue you're putting them in such a compromised position anyhow id take a good look at the Sonos era 300's or play 5, it really would be all you need in that comprimised spot. Using there true play feature would actually sound surprisingly good. They also do a 60 day free trial think
And you say your moving in a year so id say save your cash and get what you really want in a year in the new space.

Then you have the devialet phantom speakers they do a small one.

again just food for thought.

haha, pretty sure i said that somewhere. so just to be clear, I DON'T HAVE ROOM FOR FLOORSTANDERS :ROFLMAO:otherwise i'd get some prodigy 5s, but let's not open that can of worms :)
Okay. On the flipside, if you go too small they'll struggle to fill the room without cranking the amp up to near the max.

When I demoed the Neat SX2 I was given access to the Iota Alpha. Fun sounding speaker but unless they are in a small box room they'll make your amp work hard for the money. The soundstage isn't big enough.

For overall tonal balance the Prodigy would be my pick: Arcam and PMC have always been the best of friends IME.

Or as a left field choice, Amphion Argon 0 or 1s are terrific. I had the 1s on home demo for weeks, they were punchy yet delicate. Along with Harbeth and my Dali Rubicon 2, the Amphions are fab.

Reactions: bartlett23

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys. Wired my Acoustic Energy 301s up in the new, if compromised position, and they sounded fantastic. Even my wife was impressed, and she normally doesn't give a hoot about that sort of thing. Now I'm left with another dilemma. Get the PMCs in the hope that they sound even better, but worry that the difference will be negligible! Might look into a home demo after all...

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Okay. On the flipside, if you go too small they'll struggle to fill the room without cranking the amp up to near the max.

When I demoed the Neat SX2 I was given access to the Iota Alpha. Fun sounding speaker but unless they are in a small box room they'll make your amp work hard for the money. The soundstage isn't big enough.

For overall tonal balance the Prodigy would be my pick: Arcam and PMC have always been the best of friends IME.

Or as a left field choice, Amphion Argon 0 or 1s are terrific. I had the 1s on home demo for weeks, they were punchy yet delicate. Along with Harbeth and my Dali Rubicon 2, the Amphions are fab.
Love the look of the Amphions, but they're rear ported. But I was surprised by how room filling my AEs were. How much has speaker technology advanced in the ten years since I bought them? And would the PMCs be too bassy? So many questions! This hi-fi game is a nightmare :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Love the look of the Amphions, but they're rear ported. But I was surprised by how room filling my AEs were. How much has speaker technology advanced in the ten years since I bought them? And would the PMCs be too bassy? So many questions! This hi-fi game is a nightmare :ROFLMAO:
Total nightmare. I'm still having therapy 🤣.

If these latest Prodigy are like the older Transmission Line speakers they have a very distinct bass. Too much bass? Only you can decide that with a home demo.

Technology hasn't changed that much in the last 10 years, but companies such as KEF have tried to moved the goalposts with Meta line of speakers with individual degree of success. Some like it, others don't

manicm

it doesn't really matter whether front or rear ported. Site either too close or too far from a wall and you will hear imbalances. And using bungs are almost always a compromise too.

Many Dalis though work well close to a wall regardless.

it doesn't really matter whether front or rear ported. Site either too close or too far from a wall and you will hear imbalances. And using bungs are almost always a compromise too.

Many Dalis though work well close to a wall regardless.
Agreed. Years ago I heard the Ruark Sabre 3 at The Towers and they sounded fantastic with a rear port as did my old TB2i. The only real way of reducing any unwanted bass heft is with infinite baffle designs.

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears
Cheers guys. Wired my Acoustic Energy 301s up in the new, if compromised position, and they sounded fantastic. Even my wife was impressed, and she normally doesn't give a hoot about that sort of thing. Now I'm left with another dilemma. Get the PMCs in the hope that they sound even better, but worry that the difference will be negligible! Might look into a home demo after all...
Sorry if I'm missing the obvious, but if you and your good lady were impressed by the 301s, why not look at the demoing AE 500.

I'm a big advocate of brands familiar to your respective ears.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
A home loan is really the only way you can truly decide. I'm in no position to preach though as I've never done this myself, every bit of my kit has been bought blind/deaf :) My purchases have all been based on copious amounts of reading reviews... fortunately it's all worked out rather nicely (y) This game is a ruddy nightmare though.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
A home loan is really the only way you can truly decide. I'm in no position to preach though as I've never done this myself, every bit of my kit has been bought blind/deaf :) My purchases have all been based on copious amounts of reading reviews... fortunately it's all worked out rather nicely (y) This game is a ruddy nightmare though.
think i'm going to give the B&Ws a whirl, despite the rear ports, as their sound really grabbed me during the demo. and the dealer said i can send them back if unhappy. looks like the PMCs are just a bit of a squeeze. might also listen to the ATC SCM7s at the weekend as a sealed box leftfield option. 85w per channel should be enough to drive them.

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts