FROM HD DVD TO BLU-RAY(RELUCTANTLY)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,after much thought,I`ve decided to buy a blu-ray player,after now realising that HD DVD isn`t going to win the format war and am interested in the Sharp player that was reviewed in the January issue I think it was.Does anyone know if this player`s any good,bear in mind I have no way of using the new HD audio codecs due to my a/v amp knocking on a bit,so it would be connected by coax/optical leads,also can`t really afford one of the top end players so this would fit my budget okay.Just please someone if you can,advise me if it`s worth buying.I really thought I was doing right buying a HD DVD player,but it`s obvious to us all now that Blu-ray is the one to buy,with Paramount and Universal going dual format,by next christmas,I reckon HD DVD will be obsolete(except for Toshiba computers).Oh well,looking forward to seeing some decent prices on the HD DVD discs at least.

nads

TBH i would not bother just yet just DVD and use the tosh's upscaler on the DVD's as they will not be stopping them.
why let them get the BR players finished with the standards and maybe the prices will reduce.

nads

The format war might not be over for a long time. Despite rampant reports in the press and blogosphere that Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment are about to drop their support for HD DVD and join the other majors in going Blu-ray, executives with both deny any such move is imminent.

A high-ranking Paramount source said the studio has no plans of ditching HD DVD anytime in the foreseeable future. And Ken Graffeo, EVP of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment, said the same holds true for his studio.

"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Graffeo, also co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group, in an official statement sent to members of the press by the group's public relations firm.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bot bot"]bear in mind I have no way of using the new HD audio codecs due to my a/v amp knocking on a bit,so it would be connected by coax/optical leads[/quote]

Is that the BDHP20H? It has 5.1 analogue output? If your amp has 5.1 inputs you may be able to get all the new audio stuff over that. Depends if the Sharp sends them out over its analogues, some do, some don't, some say they do, but don't :)

Personally I am waiting for Profile 1.1 players.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nads"]

"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Graffeo, also co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group, in an official statement sent to members of the press by the group's public relations firm.[/quote]

That's to be expected, they say they will continue to "support" it. They have NOT said that they will never produce Blu-ray. Carefully worded statements :)

Personally I think the damage is done, consumer confidence has been shaken by the mainstream press. I still expect both Paramount and Universal to produce Blu-ray.

A

Anonymous

Who's backing what?

Unless you've been completely unplugged from online news aggregation sites or the blogosphere, you've probably heard that Hollywood's biggest DVD seller, Warner Bros, announced last week that beginning in March it will pull its backing of Toshiba's HD DVD format and produce its movies exclusively on Sony's Blu-ray format. Warner Bros already accounts for about 70% of Blu-ray content, according to some published reports.

Blu-ray is now backed by Walt Disney, 20th Century Fox, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and, of course, Warner Bros, among others. HD DVD is now only supported by Universal Studios and Paramount and its DreamWorks Studios. Things don't look good for HD DVD's longevity. And, in a way, that's too bad.

A

Anonymous

I think you're refering to the BD HP20H player. I have one of these and am very happy with it. The pic quality (1080p, 24pfs) is terrific and it upscales DVDs to 1080p very well indeed - much better than my Pioneer DV-600, in fact. The really good thing is that it has an onboard sound decoder for Dolby Digital HD which it'll send through the 5.1 outputs into your amp, so you can have uncompressed DD HD sound without going the (ubiquitous, on this site) Onkyo route, assuming your existing amp can handle it.

The sound's pretty damn good just using the optical out, too!!!

The player also has a 'quick start' function that puts the thing into a semi standy mode and means that discs load reasonably quickly. On the downside it means that player uses more power in standby than usual, and produces slight noise, although this is waaaaay less than the enormous din my V-box makes in standby! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... I hear the Sky HD box is noisy too, btw.

The other downside of the player is that the front panel has a very small dispaly and you can't manually access any of the functions (except open and close), so you'll always need the remote.

Small issues, really. It's price and pic/sound quality that matter, right?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts