FREESAT - What is available??

A

Anonymous

There is very little information on who has signed up the the Freesat EPG. It is likely to be almost like Freeview, however Channel 4 and Channel 5 are not available to go unencrypted on satellite yet. C4 have expressed an interest, but C5 are silent.

There is another thread here:

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/6553.aspx?PageIndex=1

A

Anonymous

I will be signing up for SKY HD shortly, will I be able to access whatever might be available on Freesat as part of that, or must I have two serves running in some kind of tandem. Should I hold off for awhile?? Thanks C

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
FREESAT still seams to be a fair way off and the amount of HD content will be rather limited. Go with the Sky HD as there is a good amount of current HD content at the moment and more HD channels just around the corner.
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks D.J, appreciated as always. And if i move fast I might veen get some football in.. :) C

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The differnce between Sky Sports in SD to HD is quite staggering and makes you see exactly why you have invested into a HD screen. LOST also makes it worth the subscription costs in HD, not too sure about the merits of HOTEL BABYRUBBISH in HD tho LOL
emotion-7.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Watching Man Utd's inglorious exit from the FA Cup was made even more appealing in HD
emotion-2.gif
- shame the following rugby in HD showed up just how lousy England were
emotion-6.gif

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Watching Man Utd's inglorious exit from the FA Cup was made even more appealing in HD
emotion-2.gif
emotion-6.gif

[/quote] Then there was the pathetic display from Chelsea, not even I would say that we should of won as we were absolute rubbish! enen in HD!
emotion-9.gif

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,
Wonder why the NATIONAL news channels didn't give this the coverage it deserved i.e. giving it the same amount of airtime an English victory would have got? To the Scots, because of performances during this competition, this was as big a victory as the Welsh winning the Triple Crown.
Great timing by the Scottish squad to piece together more passes than they have had over the course of this 6 Nations campaign though.

Was surprised Wilkinson was subbed in the 2nd half - thought any kicking chances would have been pounced upon to try and salvage a victory from the jaws of defeat. Congratulations to him on becoming the points scoring record holder.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

John Duncan

emotion-2.gif
emotion-6.gif

[/quote]

Maybe Scotland were just too good for them - had you considered that?

I wouldn't get excited by Freesat just yet - I heard this morning that there are no boxes in the country yet, and the vast majority which will arrive by launch are spoken for within the industry for testing etc.

Unless an existing Sky box works, I don't know.

A

Anonymous

emotion-2.gif
emotion-6.gif

[/quote]

I hesitated, I missed out. Gutted! Just ordered it. Thanks guys!! :) C

A

Anonymous

Being on satelite forums. i believe any free to air (FTA) channels are avilable with a fta reciver which you can use with an existing sky dish (only the dish) pointed to 28 degrees east.. So in theory if you have an HD fta reciever you will be able to view BBC HD fre, and when Channel 4 becomes fta which i hear will be soon then you may get the 4 hd aswell. The freesat thing has an epg which i think will come with the official boxes so if you dont wantt the epg ie buy a tv mag then you can have hd for free sooner. Im in middle of looking to do it this way .

However im a newbie at the satelite thingy so dont quote me and i am open to discuss if any one wants to but dont slag me of if iam wrong when you spend your money check with other satelite forums as they are very helpful as you lot are.

Phew

A

Anonymous

Is there any chance that Sky might start showing HD for free in the near future? It seems a bit chicken and egg to me. The more people who have HD , the more programs will be made, but If Sky keep charging extra ,more people will hang back.

As for watching Man U loose, that is good in any format. My Sony CRT 14" showed it beautifully. In particular Alex Ferguson's face was bright red in his interview, afterwards. Crystal clear it was.
emotion-2.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Very Annoyed - very true. if sky dropped the subscription id find the money for the box. i wouldnt move to any other service until i know exactly what i am and am not getting by comaparison, and at what price.

Matt_B

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
the delay might even be to allow the news of channel 4 and 5 joining, as the contract re satellite viewing expires in may/june allowing them to go FTA or FTV (whichever is the one that doesn't need a card) - who knows pure speculation.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Matt_B"]
the delay might even be to allow the news of channel 4 and 5 joining, as the contract re satellite viewing expires in may/june allowing them to go FTA or FTV (whichever is the one that doesn't need a card) - who knows pure speculation.
[/quote] fta, i think you dont need a card.

A

Anonymous

From what I understand a Sky HD box will show even the HD FTA (Free To Air) channels (basically what will be on Freesat) without a subscription, you just get one of their £20 'Freesat from Sky' cards. What you pay for with a subscription is access to the FTV (Free To View) encoded channels (Channel 4 and 5 are in this category) and access to the EPG (Electronic Program Guide) that you need to use the Sky+ functionality.

There are already HD satellite receivers that will pick up the FTA channels, what is lacking is an EPG to allow easy recording of programs that are already there. This is what Freesat will provide, it's just a standard so that manufacturers can produce set top boxes and PVRs that will use the EPG Freesat provides.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="treaclepeople"]What you pay for with a subscription is access to the FTV (Free To View) encoded channels (Channel 4 and 5 are in this category) [/quote]

You don't need to subscribe to Sky to receive them, they are on freesatfromsky, that's what the card and box is for, to decrypt channels like those.

Encryption is used to stop viewers in other countries seeing the content. That's why you can get them on analogue and digital terrestrial TV but not satellite.

C4 is going unencrypted on freesat apparently, but C5 has made no comment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts