Freesat conflict with Sonos?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Freesat enable Panasonic Viera TV. On about half the channels, it says, 'Channel not found', whereas some are fine. It does not seem to matter whether channels are HD or not. I have tried retuning it, but it makes no difference.

I thought that perhaps my newly purchased Sono/more powerful wireless router is somehow conflicting with the satellite cable? I have a lot of cables touching back there too.

Or is it more likely that it is a problem with the satellite outside?

Would appreciate any ideas, thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Very unlikely to be the satellite cable. They are double screened co-axial (or should be) and there's not much in the way of RF that will break through that.

Switch off the TV. (Actually unplug it rather than just 'standby'.)

Unplug the co-ax cable from the back.

Plug the TV in and switch on (without co-ax cable).

Do a complete Freesat station scan and let it finish. (Obviously it won't find anything.)

Power off and unplug the TV from the mains again.

Re-connect the co-axial cable.

Power on TV and do the station scan again.

This usually works for lost Freeview channels and is worth a try before getting anyone out to look at the dish.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Either chebby's reply or you could go into the menu & select shipping condition this will put it into factory settings, (like from new).

A

Anonymous

I believe so yes, although cannot be sure. It's a real rat's nest of cables back there, so could be any number of cables interfering with the satellite cable, but I understand that the satellite cable is pretty robust, so should not be the case.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the helpful reply Chebby. I will have a go; hopefully that will have more of an effect than just rescanning.

daveh75

chebby said:
Very unlikely to be the satellite cable. They are double screened co-axial (or should be) and there's not much in the way of RF that will break through that.

The cable is shielded, but on tuners etc in receivers/TVs it is often poor. I've lost count of the number of service calls i've attended for no sat signal/missing channels to find routers/DECT basestations sat on top of sat receivers or tucked away behind TVs

daveh75

If the problems started after installing Sonos/new router then it is possibly interference.

Satellite signals are downconverted by the LNB to lower IFs some of which are close to 2.4GHz part of the spectrum, so succeptable to RF interference from wifi devices, DECT phones, microwaves etc.

Should be easy to diagnose though, power off your Sonos/router and see if the signal/missing channels return

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
The cable is shielded, but on tuners etc in receivers/TVs it is often poor. I've lost count of the number of service calls i've attended for no sat signal/missing channels to find routers/DECT basestations sat on top of sat receivers or tucked away behind TVs

That's interesting, I've got my router and a Sonos ZP90 sat on the shelf below my SkyHD box, I've never encountered any issues like that.

A

Anonymous

I did try turning off the Sonos, but channels are still not displaying.

The Sonos was on the shelf directly below the televions; I have now moved the Sonos to a lower shelf in the unit.

In your experience, what is the solution if it is not viable to move the Sonos/router any further away from the television?

A

Anonymous

Update - Moving the Sonos down a shelf in the shelving system, away from the TV, has resulted in reception of all channels. Interesting....

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
benjaminlross said:
Update - Moving the Sonos down a shelf in the shelving system, away from the TV, has resulted in reception of all channels. Interesting....

In your previous post who you said turning it off made no difference. How can it then help to move it down a shelf? Perhaps the moving process resolved the real problem by disturbing some cables?

scene

hammill said:
In your previous post who you said turning it off made no difference. How can it then help to move it down a shelf? Perhaps the moving process resolved the real problem by disturbing some cables?

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

A

Anonymous

The only difference cable wise is that the thick heavy phono cable from the Sonos to the amp is no longer bunched up but instead spread out over a further distance. Otherwise the power cable and network cable running from the Sonos are in exactly the same place.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
benjaminlross said:
The only difference cable wise is that the thick heavy phono cable from the Sonos to the amp is no longer bunched up but instead spread out over a further distance. Otherwise the power cable and network cable running from the Sonos are in exactly the same place.

I think they mean the satellite cables feeding the TV.

One question, when you said earlier you'd turned the Sonos off and it made no difference, did you also turn the router off?

A

Anonymous

There is no difference in terms of the satellite cables.

No I did not try turning off the router.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts