Free Sky Sports F1 channel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SonofSun said:
But by far the worst thing they did was getting in bed with Sky when C4 were interested.

If the post above yours is true that may not have been their choice either. Also they were pretty much forced into moving to Salford as a government review concluded the organisation was too London-centred and needed more "diversity". I'm reasonably sure they wouldn't have done it if they'd had any choice in the matter.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SonofSun said:
chebby said:
I can't see many more years passing before James Murdoch demands that the Government hand the entire BBC over to him. (It doesn't actually belong to the Government but that won't stop them.)

It won't be the first time that David Cameron has been instructed in major decisions over BBC license fee policy by James Murdoch if they threaten BSkyB's interests...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8657058/Tories-did-deal-with-Murdoch-over-BBC-licence-fee.html

James Murdoch set out his contempt for non-commercial broadcasting in his hissy-fit against the BBC, the Government and OFCOM in his 2009 MacTaggart lecture so there is no mystery about his ultimate intent.

This year's events have 'spoilt the pitch' a bit for Jimmy and Dave, but it won't stop them. Murdoch Inc. still wants that £3.7 billion for themselves and - even more importantly - won't stop until the BBC's unique style of public service broadcasting is destroyed and Dave hands over the goods.

I give it 4 years.

What nonsense.

I'm with you there...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
SonofSun said:
What nonsense.

I sincerely hope so...

... but selling off large publicly owned/publicly funded entities is not without precedent and James Murdoch has had personal influence over David Cameron in reversing a £150,000,000 TV license fee policy because Sky's commercial competitors would have benefitted.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
There are all sorts of angles to this story. From what I have read around is that C4's offer wasn't as large as the joint BBC-Sky offer, would have meant BBC being responsible for breach of contract payments, AND would not guarantee no cuts to adverts durring live races. It was a while ago that I read this somewhere so you'll have to forgive me for not digging it up (and if my memory is hazy) but Bernie did intimate that he preferred to have F1 on terrestrial and would have been willing to accept one of these shortcomings but not both. BBC does have the budget to do F1. The problem is that they don't have the budget to do every sports event they currently do, and DECIDED that they would rather give up F1 than make compromises on something like Wimbledon (especially as these kinds of home-broadcaster events generate a lot of revenue in overseas distribution). It is their right to decide what they want to spend their money on, just as it's your's and mine. You may not choose to pay for Sky, I do. I'm actually happy it's moving to Sky as the level of broadcast will be of high quality and uninterupted. Also I have to record some races in a season because I need to make compromises with my time and my family, and Aunty Beeb has angered me severely this season with their "switch channels half-way through a race so we can show Songs of Praise" routine. Yep, 15 laps to go at the end of the race and "That's all folks, please join us on BBC2"!!!!!!

Anyhow, there are different views out there and I think that most people who aren't purturbed by F1 going over to Sky aren't going to posting anything about it. People only ever feel the need to go on about the things that enrage them and hardly ever take the time to write on the tinterweb about the things that make them happy- even less so when it's something they are just "fine" with.

Rockposer

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Well I've taken out a SkyHD package in order to get the F1 channel.

Yes it annoys me having to do it, however, with their current deal the £100 Marks & Sparks vouchers cover almost 10 months of the extra subscription.

I don't think the BBC's after race coverage (F1 forum) was nonsense at all, fouind it gave a good insight into the teams etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts