Fosi V3 Monoblock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

The V3 Mono's are not a miracle worker - some reviews have suggested that they don't have the widest soundstage, and in certain circumstances they can run out of steam. They represent excellent value, but such a small box can only do so much.

Gray

The V3 Mono's are not a miracle worker
Well that's true (as it is of all hi-fi).
As for 'running out of steam', I wouldn't mind betting the V3 Monoblock has more than enough steam for most domestic situations.

That Goldmund Telos 4800 has much less chance of running out of steam of course and maybe it has a wider soundstage.
But it still won't be a miracle worker - and, at the price of a house, most would argue that it should be.

martinus

Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
The Fosi monoblocks are indeed no miracle workers. For my desk set up they are doing marvelous. Notable is the stereo separation. The sound is fast and punchy. As for running 'running out of steam' there is no question of it. You could make steam with the amps, they become hot. I do cool them with a small fan. On the web side of Fosi they offer a cooling solution. For now I am enjoying the amps every day. For the price, I bought them with a discount, they are great. For what is worth, you can upgrade the amps with other / better op amps.

Reactions: manicm and Gray

Gray

No doubt the fan does it's cooling job 👍
But, however quiet it may be, it will still be making some noise.

My laptop has had the hard drive swapped for an SSD - to eliminate some noise.
But it's still got a fan - which is why I keep it out of my listening room.

Chances are that people don't hear fans when music's playing - just like you can't hear hiss and low level hum when music is playing.
But, if you can hear it when the music stops....then, like it or not, it's part of your music.

Bottom line for me is that if a fan really was necessary with the V3....it would stop me buying a V3. (OK if the pair were behind the front wall in another room).

martinus

Feb 23, 2020
Visit site

Chances are that people don't hear fans when music's playing - just like you can't hear hiss and low level hum when music is playing.
But, if you can hear it when the music stops....then, like it or not, it's part of your music.

Bottom line for me is that if a fan really was necessary with the V3....it would stop me buying a V3. (OK if the pair were behind the front wall in another room).
The fans has a pwm regulator. At the lowest level there is hardly no noise and the amps are cool. Not bulletproof but for now a fine solution

Attachments

• 20240907_191751.jpg
    20240907_191751.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Gray

I’ve measured mine with a medical thermometer that doubles as a room/item thermometer with a setting option. In our typical 22C ambient room the maximum I’ve measured on the Monos is 39.4C.

They are noticeably warmer than the V3 stereo that I still own, and the ZA3 stereo that I sold on. It’s not entirely clear to me why they run warmer. It might be the casing is better at carrying the heat from the chip. It’s conceivable the chip is being driven harder, but there are no measurements I’ve seen to support that.

A few users, especially in warmer countries have resorted to fans, and Fosi themselves have now made some available. Personally, I think it’s impossible to know if the greater case temperature will affect long-term reliability.

The Auto Off-On setting is a boon, as my preamp effectively controls the Fosi pair without my needing to touch them. They turn off after about 10 minutes with no signal. But - and it’s quite a big but - they seem to consume about ten watts on standby. I’m not sure that even meets EU regs, but I recognise it’s not sold from here, and 0.5watts may not be strictly applicable to auto-sensing devices. The Regs are complex and not my forte.

Most importantly, to my ears they’re a distinct step up in sound quality from the stereo, which was a pleasant surprise. Essentially they seem a bit better all round - cleaner, clearer, larger and more effortless.

Ordered direct from Fosi, and shipped onwards from a UK handler thus avoiding import duties, I paid c £205 for the pair inc two 48volt/5amp power supplies.

Reactions: Gray
A picture:-

IMG_2464.png

I have installed them on an old Quadraspire bamboo turntable platform. This sits on a sheet of leathercloth that protects my Pass Labs power amp.

The balanced connections are Linn Silvers (a silly name for pure copper cables) and the speaker wires are Atlas Hyper 3.5, my usual ones. Best not to say that the RRP of the cables exceed the price of the amps! I did get the Atlas and Linns at less than half price by buying used.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts