Forum traffic

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Nowhere near as much traffic as the old forum, many went on to find new homes on other sites and some refuse to return. Those who did move don't post as much as they used to, and those who did return are few and far between.

There are some great guys on here, but there used to be so many more. Very few really active members left here now. Punters come on here to ask questions, get answers and are never seen again, very few hang around. I visit daily but don't post anywhere near as much as I used to.

I believe we are a dying breed. Music playback options have changed so much and I don't think younger people are that interested in the true HiFi experience. I'm sure if we conducted a poll on here most of the members would fall into the 50+ category.

Agreed.
I went on to find a new home, as you did, when this place closed, although not frequented there for months.

I can only speak for myself but I'm bored with repetition. I can only recommend so many different brands -- I end up constantly repeating myself.

Then you get upstarts who have a go at you for just giving a personal opinion. So now I only contribute if the thread contains the brands I know and like.

Perhaps it's an age trait, but bored with any forum, regardless of the subject.

D

Deleted member 195594

Hi all,

As a relative newcomer, I can only give my view based on experience, and why I only come back to the forum every now and again.

When I started this journey, I posted requesting suggestions and advice from members with more experience and knowledge than myself, on setting up a new system from scratch following many years out of the loop as it were.

I received lots and lots of great advice, and this forum contributed to what was a truly positive, enjoyable journey.

I reached a point, after some false starts, where I was content with the components I'd finally settled on.

Once I was settled with the main system, I started exploring ICs, PCs and possible speaker cable upgrades.

I didn't really post on these topics, but merely searched for what I was interested in, and lurked.

Time and agin, I saw what I thought were reasonable questions or posts asking for suggestions, descend in to well, rudeness and obnoxious behaviour.

This came as a shock to be honest; I couldn't believe a cable could bring out such hostility in people.

It's fine having a different opinion, standpoint, or belief, but I noticed a lot of threads from people asking for any kind of advice on cables become derailed or hijacked, often by the same member(s).

I'm really not sure why people feel the need to do this; personally, if I don't believe in a product, don't like a product, or have no interest in a topic, I walk on by. In one of my posts I documented my equipment audition, where I auditioned a pair of B&W speakers, and absolutely did not like them, but would never dream of jumping in to every B&W focused topic and deride, humiliate, name call, belittle people for liking them.

I know not liking a brand or product is different from the belief that cables do or do not make a difference etc, but my point is; if people want to discuss such topics, or are looking for suggestions on cables, let them carry on. Where's the harm?

I'll get to the point; the above observations, and behaviour witnessed is off-putting for maybe newcomers, or anyone looking for advice on topics other than box components, may deter them from further participation, and look for a more open minded forum, of which there are a few, with really healthy participation numbers-wise, and civilised discussion.

My personal experience from my posts here has only been positive, but then I've not really touched on anything contentious.

Again, this is just my experience and my observations. There are some lovely people on this forum, and it's a shame traffic is reduced; I'll always have a soft spot for the What Hifi forum, and the publication, from my adventures in HiFi in the 1990s. It would be a real shame to see the forum fade away.

Thanks for reading

Hi all,

As a relative newcomer, I can only give my view based on experience, and why I only come back to the forum every now and again.

When I started this journey, I posted requesting suggestions and advice from members with more experience and knowledge than myself, on setting up a new system from scratch following many years out of the loop as it were.

I received lots and lots of great advice, and this forum contributed to what was a truly positive, enjoyable journey.

I reached a point, after some false starts, where I was content with the components I'd finally settled on.

Once I was settled with the main system, I started exploring ICs, PCs and possible speaker cable upgrades.

I didn't really post on these topics, but merely searched for what I was interested in, and lurked.

Time and agin, I saw what I thought were reasonable questions or posts asking for suggestions, descend in to well, rudeness and obnoxious behaviour.

This came as a shock to be honest; I couldn't believe a cable could bring out such hostility in people.

It's fine having a different opinion, standpoint, or belief, but I noticed a lot of threads from people asking for any kind of advice on cables become derailed or hijacked, often by the same member(s).

I'm really not sure why people feel the need to do this; personally, if I don't believe in a product, don't like a product, or have no interest in a topic, I walk on by. In one of my posts I documented my equipment audition, where I auditioned a pair of B&W speakers, and absolutely did not like them, but would never dream of jumping in to every B&W focused topic and deride, humiliate, name call, belittle people for liking them.

I know not liking a brand or product is different from the belief that cables do or do not make a difference etc, but my point is; if people want to discuss such topics, or are looking for suggestions on cables, let them carry on. Where's the harm?

I'll get to the point; the above observations, and behaviour witnessed is off-putting for maybe newcomers, or anyone looking for advice on topics other than box components, may deter them from further participation, and look for a more open minded forum, of which there are a few, with really healthy participation numbers-wise, and civilised discussion.

My personal experience from my posts here has only been positive, but then I've not really touched on anything contentious.

Again, this is just my experience and my observations. There are some lovely people on this forum, and it's a shame traffic is reduced; I'll always have a soft spot for the What Hifi forum, and the publication, from my adventures in HiFi in the 1990s. It would be a real shame to see the forum fade away.

Thanks for reading
IMO the forum lost it's mojo before it officially closed. Back in the early days a number of the WHFI staff used to participate, several times a day for most, incl the chief editor. That added more interest to threads and posts and it also minimized many of the arguments and egoes.

Cables threads have always been a no-no, that's why I generally stay away from them unless my cables were mentioned. At the very least, I could give an honest opinion.

Dom

Yes, I remember it well. I enjoyed the participation of the staff, seems long gone. It was a more innocent time for What-hifi, a better time. Now its more flat like a tv screen. Strangers come and go whilst regulars hang around.

I cant think of a better place, a welcoming place. For all my quirkyness I still feel the warmth when I write.

The cable debate is or the hate for it is why I come here, I used to believe in audiophile aftermarket cables but after some experiments I realised that its not what they claim, it's not bs per say its just not the game changer they claim either. If you imagine 2 people speaking to one another with the can and string game. Would better strings make the conversationn clearer, maybe maybe not. And I think that anology is the same with aftermarket cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadders

shadders

Hi,
The forum will take time to recover, but it is not as bad as people think. There are pure subjective forums which are easy to find. Traffic is low on other forums compared to a few years ago, maybe covid is having an effect ?

There will always be people of opposing views. On one particular forum, where a specific manufacturer is denigrated by a set of people, and they feel it necessary to chime in when the question is for proposals of equipment are sought. Different manufacturers have different groups who dislike their equipment, and they do make "negative" contributions. Audiolab and Naim are such manufacturers which can cause a heated discussion.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: Al ears

DCarmi

I believe we are a dying breed. Music playback options have changed so much and I don't think younger people are that interested in the true HiFi experience. I'm sure if we conducted a poll on here most of the members would fall into the 50+ category.
I think this is correct. The low end devices are so much better than they used to be. Together with mobile phones, bluetooth headphones and streaming services the "need" to invest in reproduction only systems is less important for them.

Also, there are competing devices such a gaming systems and internet services that push hifi somewhat out of the equation. None of my grown-up (?) kids have played a CD in years. It is all Spotify, Youtube, Netflix and Disney+.

I remember telling a colleague, not much younger than myself, I had ordered a new amp. He looked at the device and was shocked it had no HDMI capability!

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
With the advent of modern technology in studios where real actual instruments are less needed, I suppose the idea such as a transparent system with decent resolution will not really be needed in the near future for music serving the under 50's...

Reactions: shadders
D

Deleted member 196519

It’s not WHF staff who is at fault here though they could only do what their job description tells them to do. They are employees after all not employers and the grief their old staff got was disgraceful!

Reactions: Dom and bigboss
Agreed. I can remember years ago reading many posts by the lovely Clare Newsome and the wonderful Andrew Everard! Those were the days…. 🙂
Agreed. Andrew and Clare were the mainstay in the early days. Also Simon Lucas and the late Andy Clough, who sadly passed a few years ago. I met Simon, Andrew Everard briefly when I was invited to participate in the Big Q in 2009. Great memories for me.

I met Jonathan Evans, Simon Lucas and Ketan Parekh when I was invited to the Big Question. Had a great chat with them. I was also invited to the awards ceremony once where I met Andy Clough, Clare Newsome, Simon Lucas, John Duncan and professorhat. I saw Andrew Everard once in Bristol show. Lovely people all of them.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I was once, hundreds of years ago invited to WHS&V HQ for one of the group listening tests.

Enjoyed it and a nice bunch of people. Nice pub next to it too.

Things have changed considerably since then. HIFI was at its peak and not a streamer or Bluetooth speaker in sight ... .

I met Jonathan Evans, Simon Lucas and Ketan Parekh when I was invited to the Big Question. Had a great chat with them. I was also invited to the awards ceremony once where I met Andy Clough, Clare Newsome, Simon Lucas, John Duncan and professorhat. I saw Andrew Everard once in Bristol show. Lovely people all of them.
Think it was Ketan and Simon who gave us the speaker test (ATC SCM11 & Ruark Sabre MK3 speakers), using Roksan Kandy K2, Cyrus 8VS2 and a Naim 5i. I believe, if memory serves me right, showed us around the AV room where he was testing Arcam AVR600 with Mordaunt Short Performance 6 speakers, 2 subs and a projector. The SQ was awesome.

Reactions: bigboss

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts