Forum traffic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
HiFi Choice magazine I like because for me they always choose brands which seem relevant and interesting for me. Also they have blind components tests and state categorically what components were used for the test and price points which seem durable for me. Also like the beautiful system section. Not a TV, Iphone or other non HiFi component insight. Compared to What HiFi magazine HiFi Choice is a sheer pleasure to read and interesting.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Gray

HiFi Choice magazine I like because for me they always choose brands which seem relevant and interesting for me. Also they have blind components tests and state categorically what components were used for the test and price points which seem durable for me. Also like the beautiful system section. Not a TV, Iphone or other non HiFi component insight. Compared to What HiFi magazine HiFi Choice is a sheer pleasure to read and interesting.
I've long preferred HFC, apart from the couple of pages dedicated to accessory reviews. They might argue that they only feature the best items. But every one, whether cable, support or cleaning product is reported to transform their test tracks in miraculous (laughably unbelievable) ways.

Reactions: nopiano
D

Deleted member 108165

Nowhere near as much traffic as the old forum, many went on to find new homes on other sites and some refuse to return. Those who did move don't post as much as they used to, and those who did return are few and far between.

There are some great guys on here, but there used to be so many more. Very few really active members left here now. Punters come on here to ask questions, get answers and are never seen again, very few hang around. I visit daily but don't post anywhere near as much as I used to.

I believe we are a dying breed. Music playback options have changed so much and I don't think younger people are that interested in the true HiFi experience. I'm sure if we conducted a poll on here most of the members would fall into the 50+ category.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman1952

Nowhere near as much traffic as the old forum, many went on to find new homes on other sites and some refuse to come back. Those that did move don't post as much as they used to, and those that did come back are few and far between.

There are some great guys on here, but there used to be so many more. Very few really active members left here now. Punters come on here to ask questions, get answers and are never seen again, very few hang around. I visit daily but don't post anywhere near as much as I used to.

I believe we are a dying breed. Music playback options have changed so much and I don't think younger people are that interested in the true HiFi experience. I'm sure if we conducted a poll on here most of the members would fall into the 50+ category.
You are right..it’s the playback option that’s changed everything in my opinion. Most of us went through the whole gamut of physical media. From vinyl, cassettes, mini disc and CD..to SACD! Requiring some form of playback system. However young people today live through their smartphone…literally.
From social media, to taking photos, and listening to music…often with cheap earbuds or using little Bluetooth speakers.
However I am a little more optimistic as I know when youngsters are actually introduced to ‘HiFi’ quality sound..even a quite modest system…their eyes (and ears) are opened and they can become just as enthralled and enthusiastic as we were!
The challenge is getting them to become aware of what’s possible….one of the reasons I joined this forum in the first place. 🙂

D

Deleted member 108165

Little doubt about that.
The mag is clearly aimed at younger readers. You can bet that Future Publishing would prefer to have many more of them on the forum too.
We already get them on here, Gray, asking about their ear buds or BT speakers... If you love music then just get a proper system FFS and stop p'ing around with inferior playback methods!! :)

D

Deleted member 108165

You are right..it’s the playback option that’s changed everything in my opinion. Most of us went through the whole gamut of physical media. From vinyl, cassettes, mini disc and CD..to SACD! Requiring some form of playback system. However young people today live through their smartphone…literally.
From social media, to taking photos, and listening to music…often with cheap earbuds or using little Bluetooth speakers.
However I am a little more optimistic as I know when youngsters are actually introduced to ‘HiFi’ quality sound..even a quite modest system…their eyes (and ears) are opened and they can become just as enthralled and enthusiastic as we were!
The challenge is getting them to become aware of what’s possible….one of the reasons I joined this forum in the first place. 🙂
Wish I had your optimism :) I've got so many nieces and nephews who all like music as much as I do but who would balk at the idea of spending a grand on a decent system. I also work with a lot of younger guys at work and the answer is the same.. they can't see the point, but they'll spend over a grand on new phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tinman1952
D

Deleted member 108165

A big portion of questions posed on here are about lifestyle products... I don't think any of us would say that real HiFi is a lifestyle product. To these posters I have no interest whatsoever in wasting my precious time on them.

This forum used to be a great place with excellent debates, some heated, but they were debates nonetheless. Only got to go slightly off topic now and threads get locked. The snowflakes have taken over.

D

Deleted member 196519

A big portion of questions posed on here are about lifestyle products... I don't think any of us would say that real HiFi is a lifestyle product. To these posters I have no interest whatsoever in wasting my precious time on them.

This forum used to be a great place with excellent debates, some heated, but they were debates nonetheless. Only got to go slightly off topic now and threads get locked. The snowflakes have taken over.
I don’t see what’s wrong going off topic we always have on here, we were brought up that way and encourage too.

Gray

Wish I had your optimism :) I've got so many nieces and nephews who all like music as much as I do but who would balk at the idea of spending a grand on a decent system. I also work with a lot of younger guys at work and the answer is the same.. they can't see the point, but they'll spend over a grand on new phone.
Not sure whether some of the today's 'music' would help them appreciate the more truthful reproduction.
(And old git comments like that, are why the kids don't do hi-fi forums).

D

Deleted member 108165

Maybe another reason for not keeping members is a lack of gratitude or payback in the younger generation nowadays.... seldom a genuine please or thank you, they only care about themselves.

This is a forum basically run by hobbyists who give their time for free. Punters ask questions, get answers, and don't think of coming back to assist others with their experience... except for the select few who reside here now. Hurrah for you guys (y)

Insufficient member retention is a tragedy as the pool of knowledge remains low and we are sometimes misguided into believing that we are prima donna's and have all the answers... we don't.

Maybe fora such as these will always be the preserve of the silver surfer generation... problem is the silver's are getting older with little prospect of the next generation taking over the baton as they are too self-obsessed.

Reactions: shadders and Gray

Gray

I don’t see what’s wrong going off topic we always have on here, we were brought up that way and encourage too.
There is some merit in not straying too far from a thread's subject - but new poster's need to see controversial theories discussed.
(They often come with pre-conceived theories that need to be challenged).

Cable debates will always go in circles. A thread of its own wouldn't be a bad idea.
Then in any thread, you could just say,
'see cable thread for both sides of the debate'.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Not sure whether some of the today's 'music' would help them appreciate the more truthful reproduction.
(And old git comments like that, are why the kids don't do hi-fi forums).
Watched a documentary last night about Motown, (Motown was major influence for my music tastes through the years). They had various comments from artists, etc, and some from today's artists and producers. One actually said they were so good as they actually played real instruments on the tracks back then... a kind of a wow moment for him, OMG :LOL:

Today I've been listening to a Motown compilation, yeah, it does sound a little brittle in places due to the recording kit they had back then, but there are some banging tunes from those years. Shame that today's music hasn't produced so many banging tunes for us to enjoy today.

Dogsbody

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys, first post… got back into hifi during first lockdown having sold all my Cyrus/ Mission kit in the late 90s . This latest trip into the hobby has been nothing short of fantastic. With the help of my local dealership and eBay I’ve now got a system that makes listening to music an absolute pleasure.
The guys at the dealership say they’ve never been busier.. hifi has a bright future.
Thanks

Nowhere near as much traffic as the old forum, many went on to find new homes on other sites and some refuse to return. Those who did move don't post as much as they used to, and those who did return are few and far between.

I think you would be very correct there.

Dogsbody

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
I absolutely loved my Cyrus kit( original pre / power, psx , marantz cd17, mission 753 freedom speakers. Unfortunately life/wife😉happened and had to downsize. Now with more space and many years later I’m back doing what I love.

Reactions: Gray

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I'm still under 50. Without revealing my exact year… below 45, but older than 40.
I'm sure if we conducted a poll on here most of the members would fall into the 50+ category.
Young, or old, as I am, everyday is now a fight to find time to listen more, watch less. And perhaps Post less.

Because you and I own the Signature products, I'll share with you that I regret watching too much TV before KI unexpectedly passed away (I could've explored more music and sent him news of discoveries, specific feedback).

Last edited:

Dogsbody

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Another wife in need of education ;)
What are you using now? Nice to hear what people think of their stuff.
Another wife in need of education ;)
What are you using now? Nice to hear what people think of their stuff.
[/
After two years of tweaking , my kit is a new blue sound node, audiolab 6000cdt, Rme adi2 dac used as a pre amp and a Rotel rb1582mk2 poweramp. And B&W 603 anniversary speakers… I had a Rotel pre amp Rc 1572 with this kit , but sold it after getting the Rme dac( no comparison) I’m blown away with the sound but……….always room for improvement 😉

Reactions: Tinman1952 and Gray

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Welcome Dogsbody.
That's the sort of post we like to see.
Stay happy!

Actually.......what's wrong with Cyrus?
I own Cyrus ...Grrrrrr!
(People will be queuing up to tell me what's wrong :)).

Had a full cyrus rig for years and can understand why folks like it. I certainly did. - Great s/h value but the new upmarket cyrus stuff has reached silly money, to a point where I think it is just not competitive anymore.

My guess is that they mostly aim at the Asian Market (which still value 'made in UK' and are willing to pay a hefty premium for it). I hardly see anyone owning new Cyrus products on forums anymore.

I love the look and quality of the casings and admire Cyrus sticking with them by the way.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS