Forced bass

Malamus

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
hi all.

can any one tell me what forced bass is, how it occurs or if it is even a thing!

cant find any information anywhere!

thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Are you talking about a system, speakers in particular, or a recording?

Where/in what context did you come across the expression.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Which when placed close to the rear wall, have audible port noise. Almost like someone blowing air out. This combined with the resonance caused due to two bass waves, one from the front of the driver, and one from the rear through the port, which are both out of phase. Cause the bass to ring longer than it should. So the bass doesn't stop as soon as it should. This loose bass, along with the rear fart is what I would call forced bass :)

Malamus

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I've been told my amp (rega brio) is the cause of forced bass. I like bass but would like to know how forced bass sounds in comparison

Malamus

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Is forced bass, bass that should not be there on the track or is it bass poorly reproduced, or something completely different?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have always understood 'forced bass' to be exaggerated upper bass often found ( but not always ) in small speakers to make up for the lack of real deep undistorted textured bass that they are incapable of reproducing.

It is often described as punchy bass and is said to drive the music along, a good example is the old style Naim sound .

Many people love this type of super punchy bass sound but it is rarely found in a live performance, real deep bass isn't punchy and fast by it's very nature.

Instrument%20frequency%20chart_zpsepl0jhyw.jpg

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Mr Jones is reinforcing the suggestion that it's a made up term, as this thread coming up third in a google search tends to confirm?

As he said don't worry about it & don't let BS reviewer-speak influence your preferences

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
All this reviewer-speak is misleading.
Fast bass?
Forced bass?
Taught bass?
Who cares how it's described as long as the listener likes it?
Any kind of bass has to be better than no bass otherwise we may as well listen on the speakers built into our phones - s**t bass lol

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
"texture, texturing[/i] A perceptible pattern or structure in reproduced sound, even if random in nature. Texturing gives the impression that the energy continuum of the sound is composed of discrete particles, like the grain of a photograph."

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
There probably isn’t any. Are you unhappy with the Rega? I’ve never owned one, but by reputation, there’s no reason for me to assume that they are bass heavy.

Was the context a conversation? Just a term or phrase?

I’m with Gaz. You can like or dislike the tonal balance of your kit. I quite like clarity. Heavy bass I find is overwhelming, which I guess makes me a fan of unforced bass?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts