For gaming.

JBIZZL3Y

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I'm after a new tv, as the tittle says mainly for gaming (xbox one) as far as I can tell from a few google searches I need low input lag and a high refresh rate (in LCD?) I'm looking at around the 40" size and full HD. I'd don't want to go any bigger. 3D isn't really a necessity but could be a nice bonus. As for LED/Plasma I'm open to whatever will give me the greatest picture, although I'm a little conceded about plasma and burn-in being an issue with games etc.

has anyone got any advise or opinions for good choices here?

Many thanks in advance.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
JBIZZL3Y said:
Hello,

I'm after a new tv, as the tittle says mainly for gaming (xbox one) as far as I can tell from a few google searches I need low input lag and a high refresh rate (in LCD?) I'm looking at around the 40" size and full HD. I'd don't want to go any bigger. 3D isn't really a necessity but could be a nice bonus. As for LED/Plasma I'm open to whatever will give me the greatest picture, although I'm a little conceded about plasma and burn-in being an issue with games etc.

Many thanks in advance.

hi and welcome to the forums.

if your tv is mainly for gaming and indeed a low input lag would be most beneficial I would suggest starting off looking at the Sony tv's. There input lag this year is really low. I'd personally stay away from plasma, I've had a few issues with two sets this year both with image retention so as a gaming tv I would stay clear of those.

check out the below link

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

the first three tvs are this years sonys and they come in either 40 or 42" I believe. Each has its pros and cons which you will need to way up for yourself.

samsung is also a good bet, but there input lag is slightly higher, but the picture may be slightly better?

id avoid lg, there input lag isn't usually great

hope hunting

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
As a gamer myself I would echo rockets advice and stear clear of plasma. I had lots of issues when gaming on my Panasonic plasmas with image retention and one case of burn a real problem, I gave up in the end and went over to LED LCD and haven't had any issues like I had with my plasmas.

I had a Sony HX853 first and that was good for gaming and now have a Samsung 55F8000 which is great, the lag time is slightly higher than on my previous Sony set but in all honesty I've never noticed it even in the most demanding online games like COD.

If you can afford it and are going to be seated head on I would recommend the Sony W905 series or Samsung F7000 or 8000, it's all about your budget really and if you want to use it for anything else? There are far cheaper options too if budget is a concern so how much do you have to spend?

JBIZZL3Y

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome and the advice :) . I will have to have a look, I like the Sony W9 series but their 40" model has a retail of over £1000! I'll have to see what my budget will allow, although I might try and pick it up in the January sale period so there may be a bargin to be had! It will mainly be all gaming with just a little blue ray / sky everynow and then.

Thanks again in advance

JBIZZL3Y

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
JBIZZL3Y said:
Hello,

Many thanks in advance.

hi and welcome to the forums.

if your tv is mainly for gaming and indeed a low input lag would be most beneficial I would suggest starting off looking at the Sony tv's. There input lag this year is really low. I'd personally stay away from plasma, I've had a few issues with two sets this year both with image retention so as a gaming tv I would stay clear of those.

check out the below link

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

the first three tvs are this years sonys and they come in either 40 or 42" I believe. Each has its pros and cons which you will need to way up for yourself.

samsung is also a good bet, but there input lag is slightly higher, but the picture may be slightly better?

id avoid lg, there input lag isn't usually great

hope hunting

Hi Rocketrazor,

Thank you for that link it was very informative, I quite like the look of the Sony KDL W6, i think ill try and go have a look at one to see it in the flesh and see how the picture quality is!

Though I am a little confused as to the 200hz claim being false? would this affect the picture quality whilst playing games? if its too low that is? especially games like ryse and forza 5?

Also do you know if the sony models are all wall mountable and if they have the slim style mounts so that they're close to the wall?

Thanks again.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the 200 hz would affect gaming but I'm not 100% sure. No idea about the wall mounting. I would think that it can be wall mounted, I haven't seen a flat screen tv that can't, but if a slim mount will do the trick I don't know, sorry

JBIZZL3Y

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I ment would it being less than 200 be okay? i dont really understand how it works as im sure ive read that the xbox one puts out 60hz, so do i need to have a tv matched to this or just capable of acheiving the 60hz.

Either way thank you for your help, after reading through that link im going to have a look at a few reviews and go see some of models in the shop!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts