For BBB, Gel, and other GT50 owners

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I suspect Samsung wants to force Panasonic out of TV business, by offering a competitive flagship plasma at half the price. Samsung has enough funds in its bank to afford much lower profit margins.

That's my appraisal, too.

Call me cynical, but if the F8500 runs the ZT65 very close for far less money, I'm buying. Panasonic should have paid greater attention to quality control and customer service.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
Panasonic should have paid greater attention to quality control and customer service.

Agreed. Do you know how Samsung's customer service fares?

I've read mixed accounts, hopefully better than Panasonic's. At least Samsung allows users to update their televisions' features, in line with newer models.

For me it's about quality of product. If the F8500 is free from glaring flaws and I've got a five year warranty, I'll feel confident about buying.

strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
Panasonic should have paid greater attention to quality control and customer service.

Agreed. Do you know how Samsung's customer service fares?

I've read mixed accounts, hopefully better than Panasonic's. At least Samsung allows users to update their televisions' features, in line with newer models.

For me it's about quality of product. If the F8500 is free from glaring flaws and I've got a five year warranty, I'll feel confident about buying.

And you can't go wrong with JL warranty. ;)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd said:
What are Samsung's Plasma sets like historically?

Last year they ran Panasonic close and Samsung's plasmas actually outperform Panasonic's in certain areas (50Hz motion and IR especially). In terms of black level and out of the box greyscale/colour accuracy, Panasonic's plasmas have had the edge.

I'm not sure looking back tells us much about the F8500, since it's Samsung's first foray into (relatively) high-end plasma production. The product has been re-engineered from the phosphor and panel up.

If the marketing claims hold even vaguely true, the F8500 should outperform Samsung's previous plasma televisions by quite a margin.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
If the marketing claims hold even vaguely true, the F8500 should outperform Samsung's previous plasma televisions by quite a margin.

With the above in mind and the recent review of Samsung's most expensive 2013 LED TV now online, is there any word on a F8500 review sample?

If the WHF team can advise that'd be greatly appreciated.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guy's.

Strapped i was wondering if you explain the IRE settings..! Also how do i go about playing around with that setting..It isnt allowing me ... Do i neeed to activate or go into a setting? I'm a novice hence me asking. I hope im not asking a silly question.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
No worries.

Remember, you can only adjust detailed gamma settings (and access full colour management options) using the Professional presets.

If you haven't engaged ISF advanced calibration options already, go to "Setup," scroll down to the second page, and swich "Advance(isfccc)" to "on."

Go to the picture controls, scroll down and select "Advanced Settings."

From this screen, select "Gamma."

Go to "More Detailed Adjustment" and you can select and adjust the Gain at 10 IRE up to 100 IRE.

Hope that's easy to follow.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks starppped. Alway's appreciated. I shall attempt to follow... If not..I'll be back! Lol. ive had my Second GT50 since Jan. Ive noticed very faint lines to the right of the sceen while watching football... All other sources are fine. Just on football this occours...I must stress its faint...I assume this is vertical banding..?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
civilian said:
Thanks starppped. Alway's appreciated. I shall attempt to follow... If not..I'll be back! Lol. ive had my Second GT50 since Jan. Ive noticed very faint lines to the right of the sceen while watching football... All other sources are fine. Just on football this occours...I must stress its faint...I assume this is vertical banding..?

That sounds like vertical banding to me. If it's so faint it doesn't bother you, you've either got a TV that's less affected or you're not as fussy as myself.

If you haven't already, you should try the full professional settings on the first page of this thread, along with the IRE gain settings. If not for the vertical bands, I'd be happy to watch the TV set up this way.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
If im honest it does bother me..! I'm always looking out for it..Lol. Everytime i switch the set on to enjoy it i end up ruining my experience by looking out for it...lol. In turn ruin it for others as im always asking them if they can see the fault. I'm just thankfull it only occours on football and is faint... From what ive read i should consider myself lucky as there are worse sets out there.. I assume your set is really bad? I will defo check out your suggested settings.

steve iow

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi civilian I've had my 50 GT for nearly a year now, my advice fwiw is try strapped settings, I have and they work for me. Also try not to look for any problems just enjoy, which I think is a great set all the best Steve.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Like others have said, i believe all Panasonic plasmas have vertical banding, i have had two 50VT50's that both had it, and now have the 55VT50 and that also has it, i am just going to see how mine goe's for a bit longer as it's not to bad at the moment, and i am fed up with keep changing tv's.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
beater said:
Like others have said, i believe all Panasonic plasmas have vertical banding, i have had two 50VT50's that both had it, and now have the 55VT50 and that also has it

That's my view as well.

I wonder if some people don't spot it because they watch using the Normal preset, which masks the problem a bit because it has a higher default contrast setting. You'd think the solution would be to watch the TV in "Normal" mode, but this introduces picture noise and double imaging through undefeatable sharpening and excessive dithering, which I find just as distracting. I can still see the vertical bands using the Normal preset as well.

If you can get a refund on your VT, you should be able to get a 51" Samsung F8500 for similar money in a few week's time.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
civilian said:
If im honest it does bother me..! I'm always looking out for it..Lol. Everytime i switch the set on to enjoy it i end up ruining my experience by looking out for it...lol. In turn ruin it for others as im always asking them if they can see the fault. I'm just thankfull it only occours on football and is faint... From what ive read i should consider myself lucky as there are worse sets out there.. I assume your set is really bad? I will defo check out your suggested settings.

Civilian, what are your options with the GT50 now? Is there any chance of a refund?

It sounds like you're not entirely happy with this TV (and I understand why). There's another problem with owning a TV with a recognised fault, namely resale becomes difficult. This means you'd likely be stuck with a TV you don't enjoy watching.

Based on your comments above, I think it's worth having a chat with the retailer and confirming what options are available. Switching TVs is a hassle, but only in the short term. To me, switching is preferable to living with a TV with an annoying defect on a long term basis.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I think i'm doing something wrong..Or i don't understand. I have applied the settings from the first page...Starpped ire i cannot adjust.. Or cant they be adjusted? I have ire from 10 to 100? But i cant - or + them. My options are limited.. At first i was told by JL that giving me a third set would be a waste of time...They gave me an option of refund or replacing for a new set..But only had a week to think about it...I thought that was unfair as there isn;t anything else i would want for the same price. I then got a call the next day by a MANAGER... i was told my options were no longer available and it was a mistake to be told i had them. i was then told they would send an engineer to check the set..i declined and said i would call back if the issue got worse...or i noticed other faults. how would there engineer report it as a fault as it only occours when watching football...and not on any other source.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Civilian,

Just to check, you're changing settings in the Professional presets, right?

After you click on "More Detailed Adjustment" in the Gamma menu, you should see an icon reading "Input Signal Level." The first one is "100IRE."

Beneath this is a "Gain" control. Press down once on the remote so that "Gain" is highlighted. Then press "OK." You should then be able to change the gain level.

It's a slightly cumbersome process, as you have to toggle back and forth between screens to access individual Input Signal Level controls, but it only takes a couple of mins overall.

If you're still struggling, stick with the default 2.2. Gamma setting, as differences between this and the advanced settings are subtle.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash - are you still using these settings for Professional 1 (on page one and further settings in the thread) I found this thread last night and decided to give them a try - they look good so far and is helping my DFC issue.

Nice one.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mattjax05 said:
strapped for cash - are you still using these settings for Professional 1 (on page one and further settings in the thread) I found this thread last night and decided to give them a try - they look good so far and is helping my DFC issue.

Nice one.

That's good to hear!

I don't own a GT50 any more, though I'm glad the settings have helped.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts