Foobar2000 - UPnP Media Server

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I've invested a fair bit of time on streaming music from my PC to my PS3. Why? Cos the PS3 will not play FLAC.....my codec of choice. Most of my efforts have gone into TVersity. And it's caused me some grief along the way.

Just yesterday I stumbled across a UPnP media server for foobar2000. You simply download the dll, stick it in the foobar2000 components folder and create an application exception in your firewall and then away you go. Sorted. Easy. And much less hassle than TVersity.

So, on your PC, you open foobar and downstairs on your PS3 you can navigate foobar and playback your tunes. I've not fully investigated the functionality provided but it looks pretty darn good. The only issue I've seen so far is with album art. But the developer seems to be rapidly pumping out engineering releases so I expect this to be resolved any day soon.

The component can be downloaded from here. If you use foobar and have a PS3, give this a go.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Afraid so
emotion-5.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
You not tempted to try out a bit of streaming to your PS3 Prof? There's a foobar2000 component that'll let you play all those funny apple lossless files.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the update PJPro.
emotion-21.gif

The whole solution seems very interesting and much simpler than your first setup with TVersity.

I have been looking into the lossless streaming options over the last couple of months but so far have not actually set up anything. Reported wireless problems on the SB Duet has put me off that option so far.

Pity the Foobar plugin only works up to iTunes 7 as per your other post on improving windows audio. Possibly once i have installed and played with Foobar a bit i will swap from iTunes
emotion-1.gif
(we all seems to love what we are used to and comfortable using - certainly the case for me).

Is it simple to still use iTunes to rip and do album art, set up Foobar to read the same music library and then just run Foobar when i want to stream to PS3?

Any update re streaming the album art as yet?

The only inconveniece of streaming to PS3 seems to be the need to reconfigure the PS3 audio out from HDMI to optical via the DAC whenever i want to stream the audio as opposed to playing DVD/BR - however not the end of the world.

[desktop Windows XP SP3 study PC, iTunes 8, apple lossless format for
ripping CDs, wireless home network, PS3, Beresford 7520 + LM4562NA
opamp
upgrade (still burning in), Denon 2807, WD Diamond 8.4s (next upgrade)]

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Mr Steve:
Thanks for the update PJPro.
emotion-21.gif

The whole solution seems very interesting and much simpler than your first setup with TVersity.

Yep. Much easier. Infact, it couldn't be easier.

Mr Steve:
I have been looking into the lossless streaming options over the last couple of months but so far have not actually set up anything. Reported wireless problems on the SB Duet has put me off that option so far.

Pity the Foobar plugin only works up to iTunes 7 as per your other post on improving windows audio. Possibly once i have installed and played with Foobar a bit i will swap from iTunes
emotion-1.gif
(we all seems to love what we are used to and comfortable using - certainly the case for me).

foobar2000 is great and can be made to look like iTunes. See my primer here. And it's not hard to get it to download album art too using Album Art Downloader XUI.

Mr Steve:
Is it simple to still use iTunes to rip and do album art, set up Foobar to read the same music library and then just run Foobar when i want to stream to PS3?

Don't know. I'd recommend using EAC. Take a look at this thread. It contains links about how to set up EAC. Once in the media library, use foobar2000 and Album Art Downloader XUI to setup the album art. This might seem like more hassle that iTunes....but let's face it....once it's done, it's done.

Mr Steve:
Any update re streaming the album art as yet?

Don't know. Haven't downloaded the latest version.

Mr Steve:
The only inconveniece of streaming to PS3 seems to be the need to reconfigure the PS3 audio out from HDMI to optical via the DAC whenever i want to stream the audio as opposed to playing DVD/BR - however not the end of the world.

I use my Home Cinema Amp, so no need for swopping over.

Hope some of that helps.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Updated to version 0.99.14 [Beta].

Loads of extra features but I was only really interested in the album art streaming to my PS3. The upgrade was a partial success, in that some album art is displayed but not all. Also had to do some fiddling to get the track titles to display as well.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:Updated to version 0.99.14 [Beta].

Loads of extra features but I was only really interested in the album art streaming to my PS3. The upgrade was a partial success, in that some album art is displayed but not all. Also had to do some fiddling to get the track titles to display as well.

PJPro

What exactly did you have to do to get the track titles to display. All of mine come up as Track 1, Track 2, etc. Thanks for your help

thanks

jsmiley

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
just tried it works a treat but I get track1 / 2 etc. also .. doesnt matter since PS3 is in same room as computer so don't see need to ever stream to it but had to give it a try
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I use jamcast to stream wirelessly to my PS3...only use Spotify though

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
jsmiley:
PJPro:Updated to version 0.99.14 [Beta].

PJPro

What exactly did you have to do to get the track titles to display. All of mine come up as Track 1, Track 2, etc. Thanks for your help

thanks

jsmiley

1) File | Preferences - The Preferences dialog opens
2) In the tree, expland the nodes Tools -> UPnP -> Server
3) Select Adanced Settings
4) In the "Format Track titles using:" textbox type %title%
5) Close the dialog

Job done! You might need to restart the server.

Hope that helps.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
kena:just tried it works a treat but I get track1 / 2 etc. also .. doesnt matter since PS3 is in same room as computer so don't see need to ever stream to it but had to give it a try
emotion-2.gif

It might be useful in the future. Who knows?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this. Same situation here. Had used Foobar2000 back in, well, 2000 ish. The streaming / transcoding is a real plus.

Most (all) of my material is FLAC and I had no intention of changing to other formats.

Cheers,

Spring.

TRENDING THREADS