Focal Chorus 714

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarafAtak1

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone listened to the new Focal Chorus range sold through Richer Sounds yet? Because I need some advice!

The story

I innocently went to audition a few low priced floorstanders yesterday as part of a new hifi setup - Tannoy V4, Mordant Short Aviano's and something in the Mission range. I hadn't really listened to many floorstanders before and the sound from these wasn't what I was looking for.

So I decided to check out some bookshelf speakers, starting with the Focal Chorus 705. Absolutely stunning sound. Really detailed and just gave life to the mix cd they had in store. They did lack weight(?) though as they are quite small speakers.

Although out of my price range, I decided to listen to their bigger brother the Chorus 714 (floorstanders)... and I'm in love.

The problem

(1) I didn't plan to spend this much (£800) on speakers. (2) I have no experience of other speakers in this price range.

If anyone has heard these speakers and know's of anything with a similar sound I should listen to it would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone wants to persuade me that it's a great idea to invest in speakers that would be nice!

Thanks

Forgot to mention that I'd be using a Yamaha AS-500 with them

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SarafAtak1 said:
The problem

(1) I didn't plan to spend this much (£800) on speakers. (2) I have no experience of other speakers in this price range.

If anyone has heard these speakers and know's of anything with a similar sound I should listen to it would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone wants to persuade me that it's a great idea to invest in speakers that would be nice!

Thanks

You could try the Kef LS50s, though ideally they need a better amp......but you won't know unless you try.

avegetable

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
So I ended up working my way through the Dali Range - trialing the Zensor 1, 3 and now 5 at home.

The Zensor 5's are nice, but haven't blown me away in the same way that the focal 714's did. Very seriously investing the extra money to get them, but have noticed that the Focal Chorus 714v are available at about half the price.

Does anyone know what the difference between the Focal Chorus 714 and 714v actually is? From what I can see, there isn't really a change in components, but maybe a slight change in cabinet size?

If anyone could offer any insight it would be appreciated - thanks!

SarafAtak1 said:
Has anyone listened to the new Focal Chorus range sold through Richer Sounds yet? Because I need some advice!

The story

I innocently went to audition a few low priced floorstanders yesterday as part of a new hifi setup - Tannoy V4, Mordant Short Aviano's and something in the Mission range. I hadn't really listened to many floorstanders before and the sound from these wasn't what I was looking for.

So I decided to check out some bookshelf speakers, starting with the Focal Chorus 705. Absolutely stunning sound. Really detailed and just gave life to the mix cd they had in store. They did lack weight(?) though as they are quite small speakers.

Although out of my price range, I decided to listen to their bigger brother the Chorus 714 (floorstanders)... and I'm in love.

The problem

Thanks

I would listen to MA's outgoing RX6. Have similar tonal qualities and now being replaced by the Silver 6 you should be able to pick up a bargain. Or try and listen to Q Acoustics 2050is.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Have you considered the larger 806v stand mounts? These may well offer more of what you're afterwithout the need for floorstanders. On the dedicated Focal stands they look good too. Going for a lot less these days..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Chorus-806-V-Bookshelf-Speakers-Ebony-Save-Over-300-/281155181958?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4176279d86

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Have you considered the larger 806v stand mounts? These may well offer more of what you're afterwithout the need for floorstanders. On the dedicated Focal stands they look good too. Going for a lot less these days..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Chorus-806-V-Bookshelf-Speakers-Ebony-Save-Over-300-/281155181958?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4176279d86

avegetable

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks DIB

I listened to the the newer focal chrous range (705s, 706s and 714s) but haven't heard any of the predecessor "V" series. I'll have a look around to see whether there are any high street shops that stock them still as they're significantly cheaper!

At this price-point with floorstanders will I simply be sacrificing detail for greater bass extension?

avegetable

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
My loca Richer Sounds has the MA BX6 range that I could demo but not the RX6. Do you know if they're similar sounding speakers?

I will give the 2050is a listen tomorrow - they're good looking speakers imo!

chaz91

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi there - I oddly enough had a similar experience to you. I went to richer sounds aiming to listen to the MA BX5s, Q acoustics and some Dalis I think. They ended up giving me the hard sell on the 714s but sadly couldn't afford the price tag.

I was hooked on the Focals though and bit the bullet on the discounted 714v. To my semi-inexperienced ears they were everything I had hoped. I'm sure in a direct comparison one might be able to hear a slight difference, but they retained much about the initial audition with the new 714 that hooked me.

As an extra thought, I'm also running them from an AS-500 (plus a Musical Fidelity v90 DAC) and, to me, the system sounds fabulous. I think I would probably get more out of them with a higher quality amp (anyone any recommendations?), but the Yamaha does a great job (better than 4 others I tried at home).

I should also add I haven't heard the MA RS6s either, but they were mentioned in the same breath as the Focals. Someone at a different speaker store was helping me decide and informed me that the 714v is more equivalent to the silver range of monitor (as opposed to the bronze of the BX5).

Good luck!

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I noticed that Focal speakers cost way way less in France than in UK. Would it be worth making a trip over there and bringing a pair back to UK?

I don't live in UK so I don't know how easy, difficult or costly that would be, and if you just get hit with the difference when you bring them through UK customs. But if the savings are worthwhile with all costs accounted for, it might be a nice way to get a pair of Focals with a holiday thrown in. Of course that doesn't help your friendly UK hifi dealership.

mikaeil

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody.

please someone give me some info about focal 714 (not 714V) against Dali Zensor 3.

Is it worth to upgrade Dali zensor 3 to focal 714? I dont like bass heavy sound isteed i like seperation.

My Amp is Marantz PM6005. is it ok with focal 714? can it drive them?

I really appreciate in advance.

mikaeil said:
Hi everybody.

please someone give me some info about focal 714 (not 714V) against Dali Zensor 3.

Is it worth to upgrade Dali zensor 3 to focal 714? I dont like bass heavy sound isteed i like seperation.

My Amp is Marantz PM6005. is it ok with focal 714? can it drive them?

I really appreciate in advance.

nintronics have the 714v for 349 quid. Go get some.

i bought my 826v from them. Great prices on focal speakers

Darrell72

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi, does anyone in here own a pair of chorus 714's and if so, do you happen to have any photos of the inside? I need a pic of the tweeter housing for an engineer. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts