fm loft ariel - which type?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I am trying to get a loof space ariel fitted for my tuner, but wondered which type would be best.

The fitter said they ranged from about £65 - £180, and the cheapest was an omnial direction one (I doubt I have spelt that correctly though!), and the most expensive a different type.

I am at a loss as to what the differences are etc, could somebody tell me please?

Cheers....

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
A Triax FM5 (5-element beam) would be a good choice, although you'd have to point it in the right direction to get the best reception for the stations you want to hear. Beams are good at picking up weak signals but they are directional, meaning you have to point them towards the transmitter. Omni-directional aerials pick up signals equally well from all directions but they won't be as good as a correctly-aligned beam.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
dfa2124:
A Triax FM5 (5-element beam) would be a good choice, although you'd have to point it in the right direction to get the best reception for the stations you want to hear. Beams are good at picking up weak signals but they are directional, meaning you have to point them towards the transmitter. Omni-directional aerials pick up signals equally well from all directions but they won't be as good as a correctly-aligned beam.

I've been considering a loft ariel myself. Is there a way of finding out the right direction other than simple trial and error?

Also, for FM and DAB, would I need two ariels?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts