floorstanding speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Don Jr

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
My new CM7 floorstanders are lean like venison compared to my DM602 standmounters. I believe it depends on what you're listening to and how you want to hear it. My ideal setup would be to have two separate rooms and have both. I've just switched from standmounters to floormounters and I've learned that it's hard to have system synergy when you love several different types of music. If I want to listen to rap and hard rock, I would be looking at standmounters. Anything else would command floorstanders in my opinion. The best thing for me is that my favorite band ever, Talking Heads, sounds just as good on the new kit is they did on the old kit.

A

Anonymous

I upgraded from an energy 2.1e bookshelf to a Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 floorstand.

Wharfies have greater scale, play "louder" without distorting or ear fatigue.. Less fatiguing

Energies have more punch. better bass. more tops, more rythmic but sound :"small"

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
ear:
isn't that what i just said?

Er, no, you said "push it up and the bass becomes overwhelming." I'm saying that's not the case as all frequencies increase in proportion.

link

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
what about if its in the same series of speakers, like rx6 or rx1? wharfe's 10.5 or 10.1, 9.5 or 9.1? if you get what i mean.

which is better?

A

Anonymous

I really disagree with this sweeping notion that floorstanders can't sound great in a small room. My room is approximately 3.5m*3.2m, I have the speakers about 18 inches away from the back wall and when I turn the volume up, it sounds great, bass does not become dispropotionate to other frequencies. Perhaps some floorstanders will give that boom, but these retain control even at high volumes. Furthermore they are head and shoulders above bookshelf speakers which I have heard. I think it comes down to do you want depth of bass, scale and just more presence in the music, or are your concernes based with the realism of the music? there isn't a right or wrong answer.

A

Anonymous

I think it depends in part on what you expect low bass to sound like. In my experience a lot of floorstanders can sound a bit over the top. I auditioned the Spendor A6 on the Arcam A38 and within five seconds I decided I didn't like them at all due to big boomy bass. I've heard the Rega R5s in a small room on a Rega amp and CDP and the bass was super tight and fantastic. The RS6s left me feeling cold. Each to their own. Also, if a speaker goes lower in frequency then you're more likely to find room resonances and standing waves causing boom.

matthewpiano

ear:matthewpiano..one question for you, and maybe others....the L11 ...does the bass driver move in and out alot? on the demo i had it mooved quite much. normal?

Not something I've particularly noticed and I've been using these speakers, on and off, for nearly 5 years now and with many many different amps, but then I rarely go beyond about 10 o'clock on my amp so I never really push them that hard.

igglebert:I think it depends in part on what you expect low bass to sound like. In my experience a lot of floorstanders can sound a bit over the top. I auditioned the Spendor A6 on the Arcam A38 and within five seconds I decided I didn't like them at all due to big boomy bass. I've heard the Rega R5s in a small room on a Rega amp and CDP and the bass was super tight and fantastic. The RS6s left me feeling cold. Each to their own. Also, if a speaker goes lower in frequency then you're more likely to find room resonances and standing waves causing boom.

It's more a case of room acoustics than personal opinion. My living room is perfect example of this: My room measures 17' x 13' and due to the crumby design of our bungalow we have to have the RS6's across the narrow side. The speakers are positioned about 8-12" from the wall and with carpets, wallpaper and soft furnishings, it sounds absolutely fine. It can sound heavy handed if you really crank it up, in real world listening levels (eg neighbours), low to moderate levels poses no sonic concerns.

A

Anonymous

Given that you are usinng the Spendor SA1's your comments on the A6 version is revealing .

But is that a size of room issue again or placement .

Generally if SM 's are going to be weaker it tends to be in the bass department and if you feel FS are bass heavy can't you quieten them down

A

Anonymous

The room I auditioned the A6s in was huge, twice as big as my last lounge.

As I said, I think it all comes down to preference, even with regard to room acoustics. If you like the effect you get then great. You open yourself up to more bass nasties with FS because of the lower frequencies they go down to and the general nature of room sizes. Some rooms might be perfect, some surprisingly reactive.

I've just moved house and my lounge is bigger. The SA1s now have more bass reinforcement from the room despite actually being further out from the walls. I put this down to the size, construction (stone so bass is more likely to stay in the room) and the fireplace. I rather like it and don't find the need for any more bass most of the time.

Don Jr

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
My floorstanders were bassy until I realised a good portion of that bass was coming from my hardwood floors /vibration. My speakers were on rubber pads (didn't want to stick the spikes into the hardwoods). I put the spikes on and set them on nickel plated discs and now most of my bass is produced by the speaker. It made a HUGE difference in sound for the better.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:ear:matthewpiano..one question for you, and maybe others....the L11 ...does the bass driver move in and out alot? on the demo i had it mooved quite much. normal?

Not something I've particularly noticed and I've been using these speakers, on and off, for nearly 5 years now and with many many different amps, but then I rarely go beyond about 10 o'clock on my amp so I never really push them that hard.

Ear, was this cone flapping only with vinyl replay? If so it's almost certainly harmless woofer excursions caused by inaudible low frequencies from a turntable set up. A subsonic filter in the phono stage or amp sorts it out.

Sliced Bread

igglebert:You open yourself up to more bass nasties with FS because of the lower frequencies they go down to and the general nature of room sizes. Some rooms might be perfect, some surprisingly reactive.

100% agree with this! This has been my experience too. My room is roughly 15" by 14" and my 782's (which are not as bassy as most floorstanders) resonate enough at moderately high volumes to muddy the midrange and suck the life out of a lot of music. A real shame as they sound great at lower volumes.

So as igglebert said, it really comes down to your room acoustics. Generally this will be a bigger problem with smaller rooms (i.e. most British homes), however sometimes you can get a smaller room that gets away with it. If you really fancy floor standers then I'd wholeheartedly recommend a home demo first if you can get one. While I love my 782s mine never sounded as good at either home I've had than it did in the listening room at Sevenoaks.

Edit: Interesting if slightly off topic. That same resonance that is a problem for my floorstanders, is a real boon for my subwoofer. For some reason the bass from my small subwoofer is lifted by the room without becoming boomy. It makes it sound much bigger than it is and allows it to drop to 20hz in room, while still staying clean.
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

Always found my 752s have a very controlled bass - they're not the widest or biggest speaker going, so the bass they do produce is present, detailed and articulate. Depending on the recording, however, it can get very deep at times and this is more to do with the recording over and above the speaker. A Led Zep II first edition CD's bass practically goes through the floor which surprised the hell out of me when I first heard it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts