Floorstanding speakers up to £1500 for Roksan K3

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

BigH said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Ps bear in mind what hi Fi get reviews on speakers right a lot of the time. But if you don’t believe them look at what other reviewers are saying.

On the Dali Opticon range check out what they say. Not good in all areas. So all you really need to do is check out Dali and put it against the competition and then see if you agree. If you do then maybe the Dali 8 won’t be the best to buy, incidentally what hi Fi I don’t think ever reviewed it.

https://www.whathifi.com/dali/opticon-6/review

I would not take too much notice of reviews, as you said before it maybe the amp. WHF use one or 2 amps in a review, also in a specially treated room. I think there is also some bias towards certain brands. I remember Arcam A19 amp. which was WHF "amp of the year", did not sound good with the ATC speakers. Have you heard PMCs with a Roksan Kandy K3?

id take notice of reviews as if you walk into a dealer and haven’t taken a view on the best rated reviewed item, that others have taken time to check out in reviews, and for benchmarking purposes, you’d be stupid. If only to discount the review or not. If you go into a dealer and listen to speakers and benchmark them against something not as good or not reviewed, how do you know what you buy are the best and for your tastes. You’d be an idiot.

But I wouldn’t put a £1k roksan amp with pmcs when my amps are in a different league both on specs, design, and performance.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Ps bear in mind what hi Fi get reviews on speakers right a lot of the time. But if you don’t believe them look at what other reviewers are saying.

On the Dali Opticon range check out what they say. Not good in all areas. So all you really need to do is check out Dali and put it against the competition and then see if you agree. If you do then maybe the Dali 8 won’t be the best to buy, incidentally what hi Fi I don’t think ever reviewed it.

I would not take too much notice of reviews, as you said before it maybe the amp. WHF use one or 2 amps in a review, also in a specially treated room. I think there is also some bias towards certain brands. I remember Arcam A19 amp. which was WHF "amp of the year", did not sound good with the ATC speakers. Have you heard PMCs with a Roksan Kandy K3?

id take notice of reviews as if you walk into a dealer and haven’t taken a view on the best rated reviewed item, that others have taken time to check out in reviews, and for benchmarking purposes, you’d be stupid. If only to discount the review or not. If you go into a dealer and listen to speakers and benchmark them against something not as good or not reviewed, how do you know what you buy are the best and for your tastes. You’d be an idiot.

But I wouldn’t put a £1k roksan amp with pmcs when my amps are in a different league both on specs, design, and performance.

Actually I don't agree, I think too many people take too much notice of reviews hence so much selling by certain retailaers of 5 star reviewed products. Then people buy a load of 5 stars products and may find they have problems. Really you should go with an open mind and not be influenced by reviews. What happens if there are no reviews for what you want to hear? Your speakers are not reviewed by WHF? To be honest I think there are much better reviews for hifi than in WHF. Benchmark is other products and your own ears.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
BigH said:

Actually I don't agree, I think too many people take too much notice of reviews hence so much selling by certain retailaers of 5 star reviewed products. Then people buy a load of 5 stars products and may find they have problems. Really you should go with an open mind and not be influenced by reviews. What happens if there are no reviews for what you want to hear? Your speakers are not reviewed by WHF? To be honest I think there are much better reviews for hifi than in WHF. Benchmark is other products and your own ears.
I never take notice of the any reviews because it’s the reviews judgment and opinion not mine as your ears are what’s important

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:

IMO. Reviews should only make up part of the shortlisting process....and ideally you need to read as many reviews as you can get your hands on, to get as much perspective as possible. It also helps if you can suss out a reviewer with the same taste as you have. Ideally, you also have to learn how to read between the lines.

Same with forums...work out who likes the same sort of kit that you do.

Then there's the dealer - find a good one and see what they recommend....and you might walk out with something totally unexpected.

At the end of the day, you are the one that has to listen to it for hours on end....so be driven by what brings the music alive.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Problem with reviews is, they are conducted in a totally different room from mine, with totally different other gear, mostly different music and no doubt their tastes are different as well. So really it's just another person's opinion. Now you don't even know who the reviewers are, at least before you know certain reviewers, so there was some sort of consistency.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
Problem with reviews is, they are conducted in a totally different room from mine, with totally different other gear, mostly different music and no doubt their tastes are different as well. So really it's just another person's opinion. Now you don't even know who the reviewers are, at least before you know certain reviewers, so there was some sort of consistency.

Most other publications give the reviewer's name.

If you see the same traits across multiple reviews, then there is a fair chance that this will indicate an accurate assessment of that characteristic.

Most reviews I saw of the Arcam AVR600 and MF AMS 35i gave a good feel of what to expect...I ended up with both, before I saw any reviews. I bought them, because I enjoyed them more than anything I heard at a similar price.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Personally I wouldn’t as pmc eat amplification and don’t get near the best with budget amplification. I’ve found that out going through amp ranges. I’d still say a better quality speaker but maybe you are better off with a speaker more in line with the quality of the amp if you don’t upgrade amps or plan too. I’d be thinking that too if I had your amp and testing it out, as it’s often the case on here people say revered speakers they have aren’t great with certain amps but other with totally different better amps, say the speakers are fantastic. Not rocket science. Just common sense.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

emcc_3 said:
So you don't think PMC will work with my measly amp :)

Think you have insulted everyone on this thread now.

you took it as an insult, I said I wouldn’t pair pmc with your roksan amp if I had to swap mine for it. I’d be mad too.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

emcc_3 said:
So you don't think PMC will work with my measly amp :)

Think you have insulted everyone on this thread now.

i thought it strange that all the recommendations for speakers you’ve taken on a shortlist are ones people have said on here. Don’t you think the dealers or review magazines have got it better than us in knowing what’s hot and not, of the thousands of tests they do comparative to limited tests on here. They spend their jobs doing it!

If i were you I’d review the mags and what they say is consistently good and check it out from there if you agree or not by comparative testing.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
That's were I started hence the starting list at the beginning of the thread. Apart from Tannoys and MA there is not many mag recommendations for speakers for the K3

Are you now saying I should disregard your recommendation?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

You can do whatever you want to do. I’ve given you lots of advice and hope it helps. I suggest not so far as ignoring my recommendation because you’ve asked me and I’ve said yes, but making your own judgements on all the facts and the balance of judgement and probabilities.

Ps if it were me not one mag, but lots of review sites eg avforums, all the hi Fi mags etc.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
You seem to want to impress upon everyone how superior your kit is.

The question was had you heard PMCs with a k3. It wasn't would you swap your kit for it.

Look don't want to get into a row, and found your earlier advice helpful, but you need to chill out and be more careful on how you respond to people on the forum.

It may not be your intention but you are being incredibly disrespectful to a lot of people.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The implied question was whether roksan k3 was any good with pmc ie have you heard it with pmc, and I said no I wouldn’t do it, wouldn’t swap, then you’ve taken it as offence. I’m sorry but no offence was intended, you’ve only taken it yourself.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Personally I wouldn’t as pmc eat amplification and don’t get near the best with budget amplification. I’ve found that out going through amp ranges. I’d still say a better quality speaker but maybe you are better off with a speaker more in line with the quality of the amp if you don’t upgrade amps or plan too. I’d be thinking that too if I had your amp and testing it out, as it’s often the case on here people say revered speakers they have aren’t great with certain amps but other with totally different better amps, say the speakers are fantastic. Not rocket science. Just common sense.

Maybe you should read the question which was "Floorstanding speakers up to £1500 for Roksan K3"

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Ok and you couldn't just say no I haven't heard a K3 with PMC?

You are constantly dissing other people's equipment on this thread and others and stating how much better yours is. Not sure how you can't see how people are finding this offensive .

You have offended at least half a dozen on this thread as well as others on some of the other threads I have read.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

No because I’m telling you what I really think that I wouldn’t match it, fullstop. If that hurts you mate, look to yourself not me. But it’s all in your head, as you are taking the leap I’m trying to offend. I’m not.

Im not dissing anything at all. I’m sure it works well with your amp, just as lesser amps I’ve owned works with lesser speakers. If you don’t like me saying it in this way, frankly it’s your problem not mine. I’m giving up beating around the bush to peoples glass thin sensibilities. If I say I think my car is a lesser car to my fathers, who cares. People on hi Fi forums perennially seem to take any idea of something being better as offence to their own systems. It seem underpinned by ‘nothing beats mine’ or possibly jealousy.

Do you really think a roksan kandy competes with top naim stuff, as much as I can’t think cyrus does? Which is basically what you are saying in retort. Now realise how silly that looks.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Ok so when you recommended PMC earlier you did so thinking it wouldn't be a good match? Why would you do that?

I am happy to accept that there is a lot of equipment better than my amp. I have heard better, but it is the best to my taste that I can afford.

What I take offence too is someone constantly telling everyone how great their kit is and how rubbish everyone else's is in comparison. TBH it is also getting really boring as well.

I didn't say anything about my amp being better than any kit. The only person who has done so is you. So not sure where this idea about me saying my amp is better than top end Naim kit comes from, other than your own head.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

emcc_3 said:
Ok so when you recommended PMC earlier you did so thinking it wouldn't be a good match? Why would you do that?

I am happy to accept that there is a lot of equipment better than my amp. I have heard better, but it is the best to my taste that I can afford.

What I take offence too is someone constantly telling everyone how great their kit is and how rubbish everyone else's is in comparison. TBH it is also getting really boring as well.

I didn't say anything about my amp being better than any kit. The only person who has done so is you. So not sure where this idea about me saying my amp is better than top end Naim kit comes from, other than your own head.

so what if i said it’s better or implied it. Get over it. You implied the point about your amp by your point you made. The only way you can take offence to someone saying something is better is if you have some insecurity about it. That’s yours, not mine. For what do I care if someone says a speaker and amp which is obviously better than mine, is better. Good luck to them.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Actually I should have said don’t get pmc, even if it was good, you ungrateful little thing for the advice I gave you.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
emcc_3 said:

I wouldn’t worry there’s nothing wrong with the K3 it’s a good strong amplifier and should run any speaker regardless of price you can always take your amplifier with you on a demo when looking for speakers .

your got a good budget you could buy new or go secondhand if you wished too but take your time and find a set of speakers that goes well with the K3

when I was looking for amplifiers the chap in richer sounds had the K3 with a set of Kefs floor standers and the sound was pretty good

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I think it is you that have the insecurities by constantly having to tell everyone how wonderful and better your kit is than everyone else's.

I am very happy you are impressed with and enjoy your system. I in no way harbour any jealously or resentment that you own Cyrus and PMCs.

I came on here to ask with help picking speakers for my amp not get into a pissing contest over who has the best stuff, which it appears you want to do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts