Floorstanding speakers up to £1500 for Roksan K3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I think hi Fi is not like fine wines where so much variation and the thinking there are no two systems similar,which isn’t right. If you go around shows some systems can be very similar but totally different components

I never said two systems couldn't sound similar. I said that there is a wide spectrum to choose from. If you like Audio Note, chances are, you won't like Chord/Focal. Neither of them are bad, just totally different.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

CnoEvil said:
I think hi Fi is not like fine wines where so much variation and the thinking there are no two systems similar,which isn’t right. If you go around shows some systems can be very similar but totally different components

I never said two systems couldn't sound similar. I said that there is a wide spectrum to choose from. If you like Audio Note, chances are, you won't like Chord/Focal. Neither of them are bad, just totally different.

no I know you didn’t, I was making it as a point.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The Yamaha A-S2100 and Yamaha A-S3000 are Yamaha’s reference amplifiers and the Dali opticon 8s have lots of detail and dynamics and i do not see that they lack this in anyway the opticon 8s are made to push air unlike your PMCs as they are a small cabinets and small drivers mine are proper 3 way with ribbon and bigger drivers and bigger cabinet .

Mine and your speakers are Worlds apart so they are not comparable and you can’t say just because you spent £7500 on your PMCs they are any better then mine because yours cost £7500 and the fact your paying though the nose to buy British brand as Well

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
i still don’t think you can say that because you probably haven’t heard it with the right speakers.

i don’t think you’ve thought through the last point because sometimes it’s gets worse as you go up and also it really depends on the technology. The cyrus one is class d and Sounds totally different to cyrus class a b amps like mono x300,so too with the stereo 200 and the x powers actually sound less dynamic so it gives a warm impression. power amplifier have in theory no colouration at all, they are just designed to take the pre amp signal and amplify it so a lot depends on the pre. I’ve changed power amps in a bake off with some other amps that are similar and whilst more powerful and wollier bass, you wouldn’t hardly know that you’ve changed amplifiers. It wasn’t what I liked but for the sake of my pre it would still be good, and with many elements of the sound signature. The same is true of sources. The extent to which you apply a house sound really depends on the rest of the system. You can’t dislike a brand because it’s considered too ‘bright’ when a source injects good detail in a system taking things up a notch, on detail the system is deficient on. If you put my amps on a good pre you liked and your ls50 I’d doubt you get a cyrus house sound that might not be favourable to you.

Youve perphaps never heard the more expensive models is how you get that view. Have you heard cyrus signature?

It would easily be possible to match my electronics with speakers that you like I reckon too. I suspect not the twenty5 range, but defo some other makes that have less treble I suspect, as I get you don’t like it when it becomes too trebeley, not that I’d say mine is that much,

I can say, and have done, that I don't like Chord, with the speakers it was connected to....I heard enough of its flavour, to know that there are many other amps that I find more musical.

I can see that Class D will sound different from AB, but Cyrus, is never going to sound like an Arcam or Electrcompaniet...the ones I heard, had a fast, clean, detailed sound, which they (I believe) won't stray too far away from. It's their USP, so to speak.

A house sound doesn't change per se, when you put it in a system....but the end result will be a blend of the house sounds, that will either be pleasing to an individual, or it will not.

You appear to be trying to tell me, what I will/should like ie. if it's detailed enough, I must like it. I have heard very expensive, detailed systems that I hated and very expensive, detailed systems that I've loved.

I have not heard the Cyrus Signature Series - but it's very unlikey to move me from my Class A Amp...in fact i haven't heard anything under 10k, that I would swap my amp for....so Cyrus is in a big group that comes in second.

Like you, I have figured out what I like....so trying to find a match for a brand, in order to make it sound passably good (for my taste), is of no interest to me (when I have something I really love).

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’m not telling you but I think you are being disingenuous to think that way, as you’ve said you wouldn’t like it before you’ve heard it. There are elements of people’s hi Fi we all like.

I think you are being disingenuous too with the amps. If you put in amps that in their own way improved things in lots of areas, as they are bound to do at that price v yours, you’d love them. They might be different but better ticking all the boxes.

what you are really making points of is that nothing would sway you from expenditure on hi Fi, until such time as you could or did do it. Then your whole view would change. I don’t think this uncommon.

On the power amplifiers And sources i think you going on a tangent to the points I made. The review on my power amps called them very balanced.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I’m not telling you but I think you are being disingenuous to think that way, as you’ve said you wouldn’t like it before you’ve heard it. There are elements of people’s hi Fi we all like.

I think you are being disingenuous too with the amps. If you put in amps that in their own way improved things in lots of areas, as they are bound to do at that price v yours, you’d love them. They might be different but better ticking all the boxes.

what you are really making points of is that nothing would sway you from expenditure on hi Fi, until such time as you could or did do it. Then your whole view would change. I don’t think this uncommon.

On the power amplifiers And sources i think you going on a tangent to the points I made. The review on my power amps called them very balanced.

I give up.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Well all I can say don’t listen to some of this lot emcc3. They’ll have you buying 100 speakers because they are as good as ones more expensive, sending you into dealers to buy the first thing when all the mag reviews don’t have them as good in their class, and telling you you need to walk straight into richer Sounds and hand the cash over just like they have asked, or that your amp can never be good despite the fact they’ve never heard that model. It’s all too much of headf—k.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Ps bear in mind what hi Fi get reviews on speakers right a lot of the time. But if you don’t believe them look at what other reviewers are saying.

On the Dali Opticon range check out what they say. Not good in all areas. So all you really need to do is check out Dali and put it against the competition and then see if you agree. If you do then maybe the Dali 8 won’t be the best to buy, incidentally what hi Fi I don’t think ever reviewed it.

https://www.whathifi.com/dali/opticon-6/review

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
And Ps . bear in mind PMCs are over priced rubbish .....I give up sorry OP quest is running the site from now on and you can only buy PMCs and Cyrus gear from now on as anything else is rubbish and your hifi isn’t any good unless your have spent £20.000 on one .

if you do not spend £20.000 you will be taken and you will be shot so Best Buy the Cyrus shoe boxes and the over priced PMCs or else

and we are re naming the site to Cyrus PMC fanboy website ......I am going to watch the grand tour

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Reply hash 62

He’s not making any points on that. If you read reviews on pmc, they pretty much get very very well rated. Other brands too.

they are expensive but not over rated, but anyway if he is interested in you emc3, he’d realise they are probably cheaper and better than his on that fanthorpes deal, on others pro reviews too. There are plenty of other brands and ranges of speakers like this that I don’t own, where it’s the same and you can do the same. Maybe that’s his grumble.

Each to their own but how do you walk into a store and buy a range that gets average reviews, and then say anything else more expensive is rubbish. It’s just sour grapes I’m afraid and it’s typical in hi Fi and the ‘nothing is better than what I own if more expensive’. You see where people come from.

but I’d be man enough to realise I don’t own the best and that more expensive speakers would probably outstrip mine. I’m sorry but people just don’t live in the real world.

Thats why make sure you get those Dalis quick at rrp, so you don’t own anything better than him.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Blacksabbath25 said:
The Yamaha A-S2100 and Yamaha A-S3000 are Yamaha’s reference amplifiers and the Dali opticon 8s have lots of detail and dynamics and i do not see that they lack this in anyway the opticon 8s are made to push air unlike your PMCs as they are a small cabinets and small drivers mine are proper 3 way with ribbon and bigger drivers and bigger cabinet .

Mine and your speakers are Worlds apart so they are not comparable and you can’t say just because you spent £7500 on your PMCs they are any better then mine because yours cost £7500 and the fact your paying though the nose to buy British brand as Well

They may not lack but it’s all comparative. i think you can on your second para bsabbath. Put it this way would you concede that hi Fi you own is better than any cheaper amplification and speakers you’ve have owned prior. I’m sure the answer would be absolute resounding yes. There lies the answer doesn’t it.

But the point is the op hopefully gets speakers in a higher quality /price bracket to yours, and with this gets well above expectation.

D

Deleted member 108165

Oh my God! How unusual this thread has descended into one mans opinion again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkjDuSVXiE

You should write a book or two on hi-fi Quest... you've probably accrued sufficent material with your 1600+ posts to fill volumes I & II already!

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Quest get you really like your gear and PMC are highly regarded.

I would hardly call the 4 star review the Dalis get as average and im sure in the right room and system they will sound great.

There is also no need to insult people as you view their hifi choices and kit below yours. Comes across as really snobbish and elitist, which I'm sure is not your intention.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Have to say that Fanthorpes deal is good.

Would be tempted but need to keep options open at present. Hegel 190 or something else but failing that, I may get a pair.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Based on advice and stocks locally (Will have to take amp with me). Have come up with the following list.

Dali opticon 6 and 8s
PMCS
Neat motive sx2 and sx1
KEF r500 and r700
Tannoy xt8f
Monitor Audio 200, 300 and 500

Thanks everyone for your help. Had to unfortunately discount some suggestions as I would have had to travel 100s of miles to listen to them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
Based on advice and stocks locally (Will have to take amp with me). Have come up with the following list.

Dali opticon 6 and 8s PMCS Neat motive sx2 and sx1 KEF r500 and r700 Tannoy xt8f Monitor Audio 200, 300 and 500

Thanks everyone for your help. Had to unfortunately discount some suggestions as I would have had to travel 100s of miles to listen to them.

That's a decent list.

Will you be able to try your favorite, in your home....or at least have the right to exchange, if it doesn't work with the acoustics?

Bring as an eclectic mix of music with you as well, which might include:

- Stuff that's poorly recorded

- Stuff you know really well

- Bass heavy tracks

- Albums that include violin/piano/sopeano.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

emcc_3 said:
Quest get you really like your gear and PMC are highly regarded.

I would hardly call the 4 star review the Dalis get as average and im sure in the right room and system they will sound great.

There is also no need to insult people as you view their hifi choices and kit below yours. Comes across as really snobbish and elitist, which I'm sure is not your intention.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

im trying to suggest the best within bounds of reasonable possibility, not something that is merely great. If it’s just great you want, that would easily be achievable just walking into any dealer.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
as top-end is a concern, you listen to speakers using a ribbon tweeter as these are usually smoother even at high volumes. After that I can't recommend anything as your ears and room are the judge and jury.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
paulkebab said:
as top-end is a concern, you listen to speakers using a ribbon tweeter as these are usually smoother even at high volumes. After that I can't recommend anything as your ears and room are the judge and jury.

If the Op was close enough for a demo, would you recommend your IPL's?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Ps bear in mind what hi Fi get reviews on speakers right a lot of the time. But if you don’t believe them look at what other reviewers are saying.

On the Dali Opticon range check out what they say. Not good in all areas. So all you really need to do is check out Dali and put it against the competition and then see if you agree. If you do then maybe the Dali 8 won’t be the best to buy, incidentally what hi Fi I don’t think ever reviewed it.

https://www.whathifi.com/dali/opticon-6/review

I would not take too much notice of reviews, as you said before it maybe the amp. WHF use one or 2 amps in a review, also in a specially treated room. I think there is also some bias towards certain brands. I remember Arcam A19 amp. which was WHF "amp of the year", did not sound good with the ATC speakers. Have you heard PMCs with a Roksan Kandy K3?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
to have a listen to the IPL's although our amps are slightly different to say the least, possibly the source and definitely the listening area. If the sound of a transmission line design appeals then I would have no hesistation in recommending at least a listen to them. Colin at IQ Speakers still makes them to order I think?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts