floorstanders vs standmounters

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Should I look at floorstanders or standmounters in a 20-25m2 room?

I think it's very difficult because I had a lot of bass problems with my old B&W 684.

Would the B&W 805s act better in a small room like mine?

thnx

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
B&W 805S is a great speaker and should suit much better than your 684's.I have a similar size room with Linn 212 Akurates which were great on their own despite it being a difficult shape.I subsequently added a Velodyne spl1000 ultra subwoofer (which admittedly has a DSP set up program built in) which gave me that bit extra controlled bass.The B&W 805S are not bass shy so you probably won't have to add a sub, and you will be able to listen to the music rather than worrying about problems.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Honestly mate the 805S wipe the floor with the 684s in every respect when i heard them. Including bass. They are a really cracking speaker. I had mine in a small room and they were stunning. Regardless of positioning do not add a sub as the bass is fantastic from them and is well ballanced. Adding a sub will remove the ballance. Besides they pump out a good deal of low end clout. Dont forget they are being replaced by the even better looking diamond series. So i dont know what your budget is but i would definatly wait and give the new ones a listen. They should be special.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Id look at the ATC SCM19 for a standmount.

I used to own B&W Nautilus 803's and the SCM19 equals the N803 in bass quantity and far exceeds it in bass quality and pretty much every other aspect. The bass port of the N803's will cause room issues if not ideally situated and port chuffing at high volumes with bass heavy material and bottoming out of the bass drivers. Dont get me wrong, i love the N802, N801 and N800 but feel the lesser models are over rated and over priced as they dont contain the same build as the larger ones.

If you want floor standers, then try the ATC SCM40's, again a sealed box cabinet so much smoother bass response in room.

A

Anonymous

all depends on your room layout ...

'theoretically' speaking ...and assuming that the room is 4m x 5m and that the speakers are placed against the 4m wall:

speakers should be placed approx 1.780 meters from the backwall to the front of the speakers

and ...1,8 meters apart (centre of speakers and centrally placed in the room)

tweeters should be at ear level when you are in your listening chair ... and toe-in/toe out should be adjusted to suit so as to achieve the' sweet spot'

this is only a guideline ...

I prefer floorstanders ... 3 way speakers, but that is my personal preference

A

Anonymous

I use Spendor SA1s in a room not far from that size. They're clear of all walls and still sound superb with enough bass to satisfy. The ATC SCM19 might be worth investigation but personally, I wouldn't go any bigger. The Spendor A5 might also be worth investigating as it's a smaller floorstander.

Can you sketch out the room layout?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
igglebert:I use Spendor SA1s in a room not far from that size. They're clear of all walls and still sound superb with enough bass to satisfy. The ATC SCM19 might be worth investigation but personally, I wouldn't go any bigger. The Spendor A5 might also be worth investigating as it's a smaller floorstander. Can you sketch out the room layout?

Sorry for going off topic but just noticed in your signature(igglebert) that you have 15kg of slate on your Rel Quake.

Is the slate sitting on top of the sub and does it help the sound?

Thanks

Matt

A

Anonymous

Hi Matt.

Yes, the slate is on top of the sub and it cleans up the bass very well. It's only an entry level sub and its biggest weakness is a lack of mass. If I put my hand flat on the slate when it's working away, I can't feel a thing. That was the effect I was hoping for. I've spent four years playing with the Quake and can only bear it with the extra mass!

I usually turn it off for listening to music. The SA1s don't need it at all!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
igglebert:Hi Matt. Yes, the slate is on top of the sub and it cleans up the bass very well. It's only an entry level sub and its biggest weakness is a lack of mass. If I put my hand flat on the slate when it's working away, I can't feel a thing. That was the effect I was hoping for. I've spent four years playing with the Quake and can only bear it with the extra mass! I usually turn it off for listening to music. The SA1s don't need it at all!

Ok thanks for the tip Igglebert

Ive a concrete paving slab under my Strata 5 and it helped tighten up the bass.

With the scm19's i barely need the Sub. I have it set at 16hz with the level faiely low so it literally is just filling in the sub 25hz region and not adding bass volume to the sound.

Also i added an aftermarket neutrik lead made of screened beldon cable unlike the unscreened standard cable. This helped intergration of the bass with the speakers.

And you could try tightening the screws that secure the drive unit of the sub, these can work loose over time.

A

Anonymous

That's a good point about the screws, Matt. I usually do this to speakers but for some reason forgot the sub. I'll look into sub cables too, cheers for the tips. I guess I tend to neglect my sub when I tweak because it doesn't quite cut it.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
No worries.

Yeah i used to have a Rel Q201e and was never happy with it due to its forward firing driver and the fact it was too slow for music.

You could make your own sub cable, just buy some screened cable like beldon. 3 or 4 core and 1.5sqmm cross sectional area. The cable i bought is 4 core and they just used 2 cores for the negative instead of just 1 like a Rel cable.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
poldo: Should I look at floorstanders or standmounters in a 20-25m2 room?

I think it's very difficult because I had a lot of bass problems with my old B&W 684.

Would the B&W 805s act better in a small room like mine?

thnx

Poldo

Whether the 805's are better than the 684's would be irrelevant without knowing your amplification. With the 805's being so much better than the 684's, much of their gain would be lost if substandard amplification is being used.

What is your system?

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Nothing anymore,

I sold my B&W 684 5.1 system and Onkyo Avr receiver i had an Avr system.

My listening area rather small/medium sized, only 3,78mtrs by 5,15 mtrs plus an open kitchen/ dining are of 3 by 3 mtrs.

I think small floorstanders would be the best option.

I don't want to spend more then 1,500 pounds on speakers.

So I was thinking of spendor a5,, Neat motive 2 , PMC Gb1i and Totem Staff

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd add the KEF XQ30 to that shortlist - a speaker that works well close to a wall, and won't try and swamp you with bass. I'd also add either the ATC SCM11's or even the SCM19's (if you can dqueeze them in your budget). They're extremely capable speakers that are also great performers up close to a wall.

Are you looking at these being part of an AV system, or purely for music? The speakers you've mentioned, and the ones I've added will perform much better with a hi-fi amplifier.

poldo:

Nothing anymore,

I sold my B&W 684 5.1 system and Onkyo Avr receiver i had an Avr system.

My listening area rather small/medium sized, only 3,78mtrs by 5,15 mtrs plus an open kitchen/ dining are of 3 by 3 mtrs.

I think small floorstanders would be the best option.

I don't want to spend more then 1,500 pounds on speakers.

So I was thinking of spendor a5,, Neat motive 2 , PMC Gb1i and Totem Staff

Hi poldo

As MattSPL and Craig M. have i too will (at the moment) suggest that you also consider the SCM19's. They are a closed box design and more importantly are flat and honest in their presentation which will help with room positioning (without the bass in particular getting itself into a twist).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts