floorstanders v standmounts ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Apparently, the TBs are exactly the same as DBs + extra dose of bottom end.

I'd say it's a lot more than that.

I'm not too keen on the PMC's that use the smaller bass driver (DB1i/GB1i), and think that all the others are in a different league. Not only does the larger bass driver give better LF performance, but it also affects midrange too. I would definitely recommend the TB2i's over the DB1i's and the GB1i's.

FrankHarveyHiFi:

plastic penguin:Apparently, the TBs are exactly the same as DBs + extra dose of bottom end.

I'd say it's a lot more than that.

I'm not too keen on the PMC's that use the smaller bass driver (DB1i/GB1i), and think that all the others are in a different league. Not only does the larger bass driver give better LF performance, but it also affects midrange too. I would definitely recommend the TB2i's over the DB1i's and the GB1i's.

That's interesting, David. How does the extra bass of the TB2s affect the neutrality? And how do they compare with ATC SCM11s?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For me, PMC doesn't really start until the TB2i's/FB1i's. The DB1i's and the GB1i's are PMC's attempt at producing more room friendly speakers. All manufacturers do this - KEF with their iQ5/iQ50/XQ40, Tannoy with their DC4's, B&W with their XT's etc - they're good speakers, but they're not what those companies are about - you wouldn't choose them to showcase the brand.

I've never really classed PMC as being neutral as they tend to have a bit more low end than most due to their transmission line loading, so won't be as neutral as the ATC SCM's. Those that like their bass will probably choose the TB2is, but those that want a more accurate sound will more than likely go with the SCM11's. The TB2i's will appeal to those wanting a warmer, nicer all round sound, as some may find the leaner sound of the SCM11's a little too bass shy, depending on the amplification they're using. We've been running in the TB2i's on a Nait 5i/CD5i combo, and have had many positive comments about the sound of the system.

We feel the SCM11 is one of the best speakers under £1k (the TB2i's are just over this price point).

Both need better than average amplification to sound their best.

FrankHarveyHiFi:

For me, PMC doesn't really start until the TB2i's/FB1i's. The DB1i's and the GB1i's are PMC's attempt at producing more room friendly speakers. All manufacturers do this - KEF with their iQ5/iQ50/XQ40, Tannoy with their DC4's, B&W with their XT's etc - they're good speakers, but they're not what those companies are about - you wouldn't choose them to showcase the brand.

I've never really classed PMC as being neutral as they tend to have a bit more low end than most due to their transmission line loading, so won't be as neutral as the ATC SCM's. Those that like their bass will probably choose the TB2is, but those that want a more accurate sound will more than likely go with the SCM11's. The TB2i's will appeal to those wanting a warmer, nicer all round sound, as some may find the leaner sound of the SCM11's a little too bass shy, depending on the amplification they're using. We've been running in the TB2i's on a Nait 5i/CD5i combo, and have had many positive comments about the sound of the system.

We feel the SCM11 is one of the best speakers under £1k (the TB2i's are just over this price point).

Both need better than average amplification to sound their best.

That's good, David - looking at the Leema Pulse, the TB2s could be the perfect solution in my medium sized room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts