floorstanders v standmounts ...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
im new to the world of seperate hifi systems , just wondering what are the main differences between the two types of speaker ?

im delighted with my own speakers and am certainly not planning on changing them for a very long time , just curious really ..

anyone care to enlighten me on the merits/advantages of both ? ta..

A

Anonymous

merits , advantages ?? not what they sit on
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

ear:chokobolt...we were trying to avoid that...now he has to get a pair of standmounters..in your dreams , im head over heels with my rx6s , we will be together for the long haul , a speaker is for life , not just for may
emotion-10.gif
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

and if i ask andrew to change my avatar again , i think i might be pushing it
emotion-10.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd actually disagree with that. I find standmounts can have a more accurate tonal balance with more detail in the midband and upper bass, and produce a more three dimensional soundstage.

emotion-1.gif

matthewpiano

One of the biggest conundrums of all I think!

I own both - 7 pairs of stand-mounts and a couple of pairs of floorstanders.

I find stand-mounts generally sound faster and more rhythmic (particularly the Roths!) and the imaging is usually more precise as well - the Quads and the Missions are particularly successful in this respect. The biggest drawback of smaller speakers, for me, is the slight lack of depth in the lower frequencies. I'm not talking about banging bass ala Cerwin Vega or Kenwood in-car kit, but the ability to reproduce the deepest resonances of a concert grand piano, the weight of lower brass instruments or the tonal characteristics of a bass guitar.

This is what floorstanders do better but there are potential problems associated with large cabinets and larger drive units. Floorstanders need to be gripped even firmer by a good amplifier in my experience and the attention paid by the manufacturer to controlling cabinet resonance is vital. I also feel that floorstanders do need more space around them to avoid that deeper bass becoming too boomy. Get all these things right and they can work brilliantly and I have to say I am really enjoying the Q Acoustics 1030i at present. They work far better with the more neutral Pioneer than they do with the NAD and with plenty of space around them they work very very well for the money.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Have you not caught on yet? Young Max is simply doing his best to get WHF Thread of the Month - the more questions he asks...
emotion-4.gif

(Says he who actually got a quote in this time around!
emotion-5.gif
)

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:
Have you not caught on yet? Young Max is simply doing his best to get WHF Thread of the Month - the more questions he asks...
emotion-4.gif

(Says he who actually got a quote in this time around!
emotion-5.gif
)

i doubt this thread will win me a cable
emotion-3.gif

but thanks for the young comment
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Stand mounts are generally faster, more accurate soundstage/imaging and can appear to " disappear" better than many floorstanders. They also can be more accurate to a recording with less colouration. The only advantages to floorstanders that i can see is bigger bass and perhaps a more room filling sound if you have a large room. If you are not a bass head then standmounts is the way to go imo, especially at budget/mid budget level.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
16months ago i went into the hifi shop and did what every man must have done and fell head over heels for floorstanders. I needed av/hifi so and only had £1200 so went for the denon1909 MA BR5'S-BRRLC-BR1'S now i have bought off my dealer a turntable- rs a dac and off ebay a few stereo amps and now feel i know more about the sound of the 2 and i am shocked at how bad floorstanders are compared to simliar priced standmounts.

I have now my Br5's on the av and am listening to my Br1's on the hifi side yes the bottom end is missing but you seem to be able to focus on the music without being sidestracked.Im not sure why cause they have the same tweeter and size conemust be the upper bass is taking over on the floorstanders, I read one reader saying that floorstanders give there postion away and that is very true. The funny thing is playing neil young decade on vinyl i have had 2 people round who said wow them big speakers sound great not knowing it was the tiny speakers inside, they go loud enough and have nice punchy bass i do want a better listen but for now there great. I have listened to the rx1's-mezzo2's-B&W686's and br2's and yes they have some faults but after hearing over 15 pairs of floorstanders up to £800 they cant touch standmounts for value.

A

Anonymous

smuggs have you ever heard the rx6s ? i know im very new to hifi , but even to my untrained ear , its obvious that they are much better than the br5s , really excellent speakers
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

cheers pp , interesting stuff ,as i said , im just curious , ive got my speakers ...
emotion-19.gif

any news on your new additions ??

maxflinn:

cheers pp , interesting stuff ,as i said , im just curious , ive got my speakers ...
emotion-19.gif

any news on your new additions ??

No decision yet. Although I will (probably) plump for either Leema Pulse or Roksan Caspian. The Leema has a lovely, fast, lean presentation, but speakers really depends on which amp I'll choose. At this stage I'm leaning towards PMC TB2S. I love the DB1S and I need to choose speakers to cover music and films. The DB1s are great with music but lack a little extension for the crashes and bangs I require. Apparently, the TBs are exactly the same as DBs + extra dose of bottom end.

A

Anonymous

i cant say im familiar with those speakers , ill have a gander at their reviews .. ill be following your posts with interest over the coming weeks , i wont be upgrading my amp for a good while , my nad is doing a stellar job , it would be interesting to hear your views on the various amps you demo though , just to get a few pointers ...happy hunting ..
emotion-1.gif

maxflinn:

i cant say im familiar with those speakers , ill have a gander at their reviews .. ill be following your posts with interest over the coming weeks , i wont be upgrading my amp for a good while , my nad is doing a stellar job , it would be interesting to hear your views on the various amps you demo though , just to get a few pointers ...happy hunting ..
emotion-1.gif

Crikey, Max, I'm the last person to get pointers from...
emotion-2.gif

PS: I don't arf miss my RS6 and A65...
emotion-9.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts