floorstanders advise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
yes I had the 21s, I found them to be a little unexciting tbh. I think my room size may pose complictations that's why i avoided the idea thus far. it is only 11x12 feet.

i listen to all sorts of music, mainly indian bollywood stuff, jazz and 80s music. indian music do tend to have a bit of sparkle in them so bright souning speakers are a no no.

space is also an issue so nothing very big in size. I can leave the speakers about a foot away from the wall.

I agree with Leeps...as in, don't rule out Standmounts in a room that size.

-ATC being sealed, are worth a look (ATC SCM 19).

- Triangle Esprit Antal EZ - lively Floorstander

- Triangle Signature Theta - lively Standmount

- Kef R300 or R500...may not be lively enough for you and possibly too much bass with the the R500

- Kudos Cardea C20 (ex-dem) or X3 or Cardea C10 Standmount

- Neat Momentum SX3i Standmount

- Proac Response D20R / Response D2 Standmount

- Audio Physic Sitara 25 Plus+

You could also look at the Larsen 6 model - their speakers are designed to be used up against a wall. Eclipse TD510 too, but they’re a little more demanding on the amplifier than most with a low sensitivity, but make up for that with having no crossover. Like most speakers, they generally enjoy space, but I’ve used the 508 model pretty close to a solid wall in my room which is about 12x14 feet. They might sound a little lean for some though.

Didn't see your room dimensions: Based on that I would definitely look at Totem. They are kings of making compact speakers that punch above their diminutive size. When I had the Arros on home dem a few years ago, you could practically swing them from the light shade and they would sound great.

davidf said:
You could also look at the Larsen 6 model - their speakers are designed to be used up against a wall. Eclipse TD510 too, but they’re a little more demanding on the amplifier than most with a low sensitivity, but make up for that with having no crossover. Like most speakers, they generally enjoy space, but I’ve used the 508 model pretty close to a solid wall in my room which is about 12x14 feet. They might sound a little lean for some though.

Didn't he play for Celtic? *acute*

plastic penguin said:
Didn't see your room dimensions: Based on that I would definitely look at Totem. They are kings of making compact speakers that punch above their diminutive size. When I had the Arros on home dem a few years ago, you could practically swing them from the light shade and they would sound great.

Along similar lines the new Spendor A2 might be worth looking into.

plastic penguin said:
davidf said:

Didn't he play for Celtic? *acute*
*biggrin*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

plastic penguin said:

totem more like pmc with smoothness so probably wouldn’t suit his tastes on what he has said, but for me totem definitely would be on my list if I were looking. My local dealer ‘Norman hobbs’ has totem hawks driven by decent naim stuff, which are fantastic speakers.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Having considered all the options, room size and advice from all of you. I have now abandoned the idea of floorstanders. Instead, i will upgrade my standmounts. These are the ones I would like to listen and get advice upon:

kef ref 1

bw 805 d3

and a pair of focal in the same price bracket.

these options, however, push the price way out of my budget so I may have to hold fire for 6 more months or maybe next xmas (i like buying stuff for xmas) unless of course i find good deals on them this xmas.

many thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Having considered all the options, room size and advice from all of you. I have now abandoned the idea of floorstanders. Instead, i will upgrade my standmounts. These are the ones I would like to listen and get advice upon:

kef ref 1

bw 805 d3

these options, however, push the price way out of my budget so I may have to hold fire for 6 more months or maybe next xmas (i like buying stuff for xmas) unless of course i find good deals on them this xmas.

many thanks

The Ref 1s are brilliant, but very revealing....so don't be surprised if they put pressure on the Source.

One thought - You could try some second hand/ex-dem LS50s.....which sound well above their pay grade on the end of a good amp and imo would be great with the Tucana. They would fill the gap until you make a decision and then could be moved on with little loss. They need decent heavy stands (which any Standmount would also use).

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The reference ones are revealing and I think you probably need better amplification to do them justice and get near their best.

But im still not sure why you want to upgrade and what you are trying to achieve as haven’t really heard back from you on that score I don’t think.

Also conceivably it’s possible to get as good a combination with your Leema and a more modest pair of speakers around £2-£3k as it is spending £5k on kef ref ones. I always think spend at least as much on amps to speakers and on really good speakers spend more on amps because you get the best out of them.

i don’t think ls50s would be a significant upgrade, possibility a sideways step. Something like pmc twenty5 21s or 22s would be a very good upgrade and suit the amp perfectly. How come discounting them? Or similar good speakers of that ilk ie slightly smaller cabinet speaker like yours. Kef reference ones are big boxes and there are the issues of your room, and whilst they are great, are they really worth it and value for matching with your amp and room and as a combination with the amp. I’d doubt it on these scores. I think you might find it too revealing and bright especially in a relatively small room and with the Leema too.

If you like b and w then maybe go for a better one in the range is the answer as you’ll know what you’ll get. I’ve never thought much of most b and ws but each to their own.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
The reference ones are revealing and I think you probably need better amplification to do them justice and get near their best.

But im still not sure why you want to upgrade and what you are trying to achieve as haven’t really heard back from you on that score I don’t think.

Also conceivably it’s possible to get as good a combination with your Leema and a more modest pair of speakers around £2-£3k as it is spending £5k on kef ref ones. I always think spend at least as much on amps to speakers and on really good speakers spend more on amps because you get the best out of them.

i don’t think ls50s would be a significant upgrade, possibility a sideways step. Something like pmc twenty5 21s or 22s would be a very good upgrade and suit the amp perfectly. How come discounting them? Or similar good speakers of that ilk ie slightly smaller cabinet speaker like yours. Kef reference ones are big boxes and there are the issues of your room, and whilst they are great, are they really worth it and value for matching with your amp and room and as a combination with the amp. I’d doubt it on these scores. I think you might find it too revealing and bright especially in a relatively small room and with the Leema too.

If you like b and w then maybe go for a better one in the range is the answer as you’ll know what you’ll get. I’ve never thought much of most b and ws but each to their own.

The LS50s were a suggestion, if the OP really liked the Ref 1s and wanted a good taste of that sound while funds accumulate.....if the B&W sound is more to the OP's taste, then you are absolutely correct.

I also agree that, ideally, the amp should be in the same price range as the speakers....but with a good source (eg. Linn Majik DS), I think the Tucana is competent enough to manage reasonably well. Only a dem will know for sure.

No disrespect to KEF ref. I've heard them with other amps and they sounded impressive. With Leema, no idea.

Without any question, my shortlist would be (in no particular order):

Totems (Arros, Sttafs, Hawks)

PMC 'i' series : I know they are out of date, but with Leema they are as good as any. They are a little smoother than the newer PMC models IMHO.

Monitor Audio PL100s

Dynaudio Contour S1.3

The last two I haven't heard but can imagine they will sound terrific with Leema.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

I am quite happy with the cm 6 but i do feel that the tucana ii has got more to offer and will perform a lot better with better speakers. Do correct me if i am wrong.

few years back when I auditioned r300 and cm 5 i found them to be of same charecteristic and only reason i choose cm5 was again because of their smaller size, i felt they are better suited for my room and also i may have been a little biased. I have this liking for BW, my first ever hifi speakers were dm601s1 and i got climatized, if you will, with bw sound. Even when i had the 21s I kept missing that sound.

Although i want to audition kef and focal, focal because my wife think they look fabulous and will go with our decor, i am pretty sure when i upgrade the speakers it will be most likely 805 D (if i find a good 2nd hand pair) or 805 D3. Unless ofcourse focal sounds as good as they look and if they HAVeE speakers in £3-5 k range.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:

I am quite happy with the cm 6 but i do feel that the tucana ii has got more to offer and will perform a lot better with better speakers. Do correct me if i am wrong.

few years back when I auditioned r300 and cm 5 i found them to be of same charecteristic and only reason i choose cm5 was again because of their smaller size, i felt they are better suited for my room and also i may have been a little biased. I have this liking for BW, my first ever hifi speakers were dm601s1 and i got climatized, if you will, with bw sound. Even when i had the 21s I kept missing that sound.

Although i want to audition kef and focal, focal because my wife think they look fabulous and will go with our decor, i am pretty sure when i upgrade the speakers it will be most likely 805 D (if i find a good 2nd hand pair) or 805 D3. Unless ofcourse focal sounds as good as they look and if they HAVeE speakers in £3-5 k range.

You really ought to try the PMC Twenty5 standmounts before discounting them out of hand. They are a completely different beast to the 20 series. You should try them if for no other reason than striking them off your list and telling me and Quest that you told us so!

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I would not change the speakers in that room size, and specially would avoid floorstanders. If it is a need to get something new then I would suggest: Elac 403.

iceman16

[/quote]

Is there any chance you can home demo Focal 1008be?

Hi Aminesh...I think you should give the pmc's mentioned another go...I know you've had the twenty 21's before.. being driven by your previous Creek evo50 if I remember correctly(it maybe wasn't quite good enough for the twenty 21's)...I think you may hear them very differently partnered with the tucana.....if you crave a bit more bass than what the twenty 21's could muster.....then the twenty 22's can be had for a relative bargain these days.....but I reckon most of the speakers mentioned will offer different sound perspectives and side ways moves and not maybe a full on upgrade what it seems you're after.....I'd look for a used pair of Wilson benech arcs if I was you....can be had used at a reasonable price these days....but ateotd stand mount speakers can only deliver so much and at some point we have to accept that. (if we live in a restricted space and sound levels need to be constrained)There is little point with the constant upgrades....as it is the big sound and huge dynamic shifts that we try to achieve with floorstanding speakers......if we live in a space that doesn't allow such luxuries....then you have to ask yourself where do I stop spending money on this.You have a good level of electronics and speakers at the moment.....do you know what you're trying to achieve in the longer term?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I don’t think the 20-22s will give the required sound for Aminesh as their presentation will be similar to the creek amp very possibly. I still think the 25-21s will be an upgrade even with the current b and w’s being £1500 speakers and the pmc 25-21s being £2000, and definelty the £2500 25-22s will be an upgrade.

The reason I think the 25-21s an upgrade if the what hi Fi Review about your speakers is correct, and I for one tend to find the what hi Fi speaker reviews bang on the money, is because of the comments about your b and w’s dynamics not being as good as they could be. This is certainly not qualities of the pmcs. The dynamics of the twenty5 range are better than the twenty range with all the other qualities I mentioned.

The previous recs about totem are moot as they are all floorstanders which Aminesh doesn’t now want, whilst I agree fantastic speakers. But these speakers will probably definelty be upgrades , certainly the hawks.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
iceman16 said:

Is there any chance you can home demo Focal 1008be?

[/quote]

i think my nearest focal dealer is audio affair will give them a call.

My problem is: if i go for auditions i feel obliged to make a purchase

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Will audition the new pmc series.

There don't seem to be many BW fans in this forum......?:(

I have the B&W 705 S2 and love them. *biggrin*

Clearly better than the CM6 S2 imo.

iceman16

i think my nearest focal dealer is audio affair will give them a call.

My problem is: if i go for auditions i feel obliged to make a purchase

[/quote]

IMO You should'nt feel obliged if the product you demo does'nt work for you and the dealer should know it. I have home demo several products from my local Audio-T and never had any problems with them. They in fact deliver and pick up the item if it did'nt work for me.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:

kef ref 1

bw 805 d3

these options,  however, push the price way out of my budget so I may have to hold fire for 6 more months or maybe next xmas (i like buying stuff for xmas) unless of course i find good deals on them this xmas.

many thanks

I'd also consider ATC scm19psl
Far less fussier regards placement and will **** all over the overs sq wise
My opinion only

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think those atcs won’t be to taste for Aminesh with what he has said which is a speaker with treble and liviliness in that sense but not bright. But they would defineteky be on my list and worthy of him trialling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts