floorstanders advise

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Christmas is round the corner and we all need new toys.

I have decided to get a pair of floorstanders to go with the Tucana. New speakers will replace my current ones, BW CM6S2.

My budget is around £3K, preferably open box, ex dem or refubrished.

I know my amp will have a lot more to offer with a good pair of floorstanders. What would you guys recommend, obviously, anything other than the bw 700 series?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
PMC Twenty5 23’s are worth an audition I would have thought. You flirted for a while with something from the PMC Twenty series I seem to recall? The Twenty5 series are a step change in comparison with the Twenty series...

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Animesh Ghose said:
Hi All,

Christmas is round the corner and we all need new toys.

I have decided to get a pair of floorstanders to go with the Tucana. New speakers will replace my current ones, BW CM6S2.

My budget is around £3K, preferably open box, ex dem or refubrished.

I know my amp will have a lot more to offer with a good pair of floorstanders. What would you guys recommend, obviously, anything other than the bw 700 series?

i seem to remember chatting to you on a forum before. You had some pmc 20-21s right?

i really depends on lots of stuff like room size, what type of sound you want. Can you possibly describe what you are after. What did you have before and what did you change and like instead, to give us an idea.

The ones I rate and have heard at their Rrp around £3k are speakers like the pro ac response d20r, very smooth, my pmc 25-23s which are almost like a 3 way sounding design with loads of dynamics, very balanced and good mids. Just over £3k. Transmission line gives more bass than they have a god given right to produce. If you’ve had small standmounts then a compact speaker like these pro acs or pmcs might be best.

I notice audio affair are doing an open box of just over 3 grand on some atc scm40s which are lovely speakers too. Usual price around £3750 I think. Quite compact for a 3 way design but bigger than the pro acs and pmcs.

All these speakers are smooth with very good bass and treble balance which is my preference, with the pro acs having nice treble. The atc and pmc sound are quite similar in many respects. I’m biased of course but I think you’d struggle to find a compact floorstander speaker as good as the pmc 25-23 especially will work with your Leema Tucana 2. If you have had twenty series pmcs before like I have, the twenty5 series is different class with better mids, lower end punch, more natural and more dynamic. Punches well above it’s weight.

another speaker I really like around 4 grand that won’t be too big, is the neat momentum sx5i. At around 3 grand as an open box, if you can find it, would be a steal. But not sure how that would quite work with the detailed Leema as a very detailed sounding speaker and not quite as smooth as the others.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Plus 1 on Tannoy as an ex Tannoy owner. Worth a listen.

i think these are an oldish design now so are probably or possibly outclassed by newer designs. I think they came out nearly 10 years ago. nintronics are known for selling really cheap old design tannoys.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

CnoEvil said:
- What size is your room and how is it furnished.

- Will the speakers have much room to breathe

- What sort of music do you listen to

- How do you like your music presented eg Clean/Neutral/Analytical or Refined/Smooth/Detailed

Those b and w’s Will probably be on the clean/neutral/analytical side using your distinction cnoevil.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
- What size is your room and how is it furnished.

- Will the speakers have much room to breathe

- What sort of music do you listen to

- How do you like your music presented eg Clean/Neutral/Analytical or Refined/Smooth/Detailed

NB. IMO. Your system would start outgrowing your Source.

Totem Hawk. If they have the same traits as the Arros they should have stunning imaging.

I would suggest Monitor Audio PL range but the PL200 are around 8k for the MKII version.

If you don't mind used then look at PMC FB1i. They are basically a floorstander version of my TB2i. Sound stunning with Leema amplification.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

plastic penguin said:
Totem Hawk. If they have the same traits as the Arros they should have stunning imaging.

I would suggest Monitor Audio PL range but the PL200 are around 8k for the MKII version.

If you don't mind used then look at PMC FB1i. They are basically a floorstander version of my TB2i. Sound stunning with Leema amplification.

i agree on the totem hawk. Love those speakers and quite a similar speaker to pmcs presentation.

plastic penguin said:

+1. Only £2200 in basic guise (i.e. without grilles), although you might have to travel to Hereford to audition them.... ;-)

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
yes I had the 21s, I found them to be a little unexciting tbh. I think my room size may pose complictations that's why i avoided the idea thus far. it is only 11x12 feet.

i listen to all sorts of music, mainly indian bollywood stuff, jazz and 80s music. indian music do tend to have a bit of sparkle in them so bright souning speakers are a no no.

space is also an issue so nothing very big in size. I can leave the speakers about a foot away from the wall.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

hi pp

good to see you have managed to upgrade to the mighty Tucana ii

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The twenty range is totally different to the twenty5 range, the 25 range has a bit of sparkle in the treble. I don’t remember you using a Leema Tucana 2with your pmc 21s, correct if I’m wrong. But the thing with the 20range you needed really good amps to get best out of them.

it Sounds to me you like something quite sparkly, so the 25-23 will work really well. Go on av forums and ask a guy called Leon (bulldog logo) who had pmc twenty5 24s with a Tucana 2, and he said it worked well.

kef will give you quite a smooth sound as you’ll only get something like the r700 or r900 for £3k which is a very smooth sound. Kef reference ones standmounts are good and nice treble but way out of price.

Dali and focal might be more to your preference if you like the forward treble sound but not too bright, as these speakers tend to have these characteristics, and not a smooth sounding speaker like pmc or pro ac. That said I’d listen to the pmc twenty5 23s and not be put off by your experience of the 21s as I can vouch for them and they have quite a bit more treble in the mids than the same drivers of the 20-21 or 20-23(which I used to have), which you’ll probably like. They are also harder hitting. A different sounding speaker to the twenty series. Also the floorstander pmcs are better than the stand mounts with a longer transmission line you will really appreciate the bass and how little distortion these speakers have. Cheers.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Animesh Ghose said:
yes I had the 21s, I found them to be a little unexciting tbh. I think my room size may pose complictations that's why i avoided the idea thus far. it is only 11x12 feet.

i listen to all sorts of music, mainly indian bollywood stuff, jazz and 80s music. indian music do tend to have a bit of sparkle in them so bright souning speakers are a no no.

space is also an issue so nothing very big in size. I can leave the speakers about a foot away from the wall.

when you say unexiciting, what do you mean in relation to your b and w’s which presumably you like more?. Also what amps were you using with Pmcs.

this could help get a better feel of the sound you like. Judging by the b and w’s I think you like a forward detailed somewhat trebeley sound. Correct me if I’m wrong,

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:

Unless you're prepared to look at extensive room treatment, I would not even consider floorstanding speakers in a room this size a foot away from the rear wall.

It really is asking for trouble and disappointing results.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
thanks you all for your invalueable advise

how about the likes Kef, Dali and Focal?

got to keep the wife happy as well, they have to be pleasing to look at.
i would look at the dali opticon 6s £1200 or the rubicon 6s at £3000 for a demo both at richer sounds

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Leeps said:
Animesh Ghose said:

Unless you're prepared to look at extensive room treatment, I would not even consider floorstanding speakers in a room this size a foot away from the rear wall.

It really is asking for trouble and disappointing results.

id be inclined to agree room effects will come in as it gets really loud but it depends too on volume level normally used. You certainly want a small floorstander if going for floorstanders ie smaller drivers. Not speakers with big drivers like Dali or kef etc, moving less air.

you can still enjoy a small floorstander in a small room if you keep the volume at reasonable levels, and don’t get room effects into the bill, but also it often comes down to an astehtic choice or preference between fooorstanders and standmounters or bookshelf speakers. Speakers like pmc 25-23, spendor a6r, pro ac d20r still sound really good in small hotel rooms in hi Fi shows like at Bristol, albeit not probably of their best with a bit more room to breathe.

Something like the totem arros design albeit under budget maybe, but I wouldn’t be too worried of using the ilk of speakers mentioned in your room. Why does the op want floorstanders?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts