Floor standing speakers for £650

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've now had a demo with the Yamaha RX-A1020 and B&W MT-50's. Great for watching movies, not so great for music, and this will be my main music source. I listened to some porcupine tree [prog rock], the MT-50's sound great with just acoustic guitars and singing. But couldn't really keep up when the tracks started getting a little heavy. The chap in the shop suggested using the MT-50 for the centre and two rear speakers plus sub when using 5.1. Replacing the front left and right MT-50's with floor standing speakers. What would you suggest for a budget of £650.

Having had a quick look I could get Q Acoustic 2050i for £396, they won best speaker up to £700. Or Monitor Audio bronze BX5 or at a stretch BX6. Anyone out there have any of these speakers?

Would really appreciate advice on this

JJanalogue

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat!

I'm heading towards a Marantz AV however.. or possibly Denon.

I have auditioned both sets the 2050i's and the bx5's..

They both have an expansive soundstage and good depth of tone.

I would say the MA's had a clearer top end with more clarity in the lower mid, definately noticable on piano.

I would be happy with either, which is why I can't decide ;)

However I'm leaning towards the Monitor Audio's, also of note is the 2050i's are going up in price, now £517 in Richer Sounds.

I plan to audition the RX6 as I may push my budget..

JJanalogue

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Oops .. you're right that was the price of the gloss, however I heard a rumour they were going to go up ;)

Who know's if it's true or not.

I'm going to include Tannoy DC6T's in my third round too...

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I'd have a look at what's available used or ex-dem. For that money you could get some serious speakers (Proac's, B&W's etc). And if you don't like them just sell on and start again (bit of a pain but useful as a safety net).

Not that this route is everyone's cup of tea.......

nb I've just discovered Porcupine Tree, brilliant!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I like these (ex-dem): http://www.analogueseduction.net/epos-speakers/epic5ex.html

They won't be a sonic match to the centre though....but you'd need to see how much this mattered to you.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking over the past few weeks for compact floorstanders, even going up to the PMC Twenty 23s at over £2k. My favourites so far (by far) are the MA Silver RX6s. I think the Twenty 23s are very clever in getting the sound they do from a 2-way design, but the RX6s sound the most 'natural' to me, and they really do rock very well. If you look on eBay at the moment, you would only have to find (another!) £50 over your planned budget. I commend them to you, sir...!

T

the record spot

If you wanted to go secondhand, a pair of Mission 752s (the original ones) will take some beating too. Expect to pay around £150 for a mint pair. Amazingly good speakers.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the great advise, I'll look into getting some demo's.

Something I forgot to mention, the speakers will need to be positioned close to the rear wall, with the left hand speaker in a corner. I understand the MA BX5 will perform well, not so sure about the other speakers mentioned?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts