Fleetwood Sound DeVille

AJM1981

20200619145953_2020-06-19_FSC_Deville_09_(675x1200).jpg

View: https://youtu.be/UnN5rNf_AMk

First of all. These cost 9600 dollar a pair and I would place a good bet that they would not perform any better than any giantkiller under a 1000 and they would probably never be compared.

However I like the DeVille for its art and kraftmenship, its exchangable grills and last but not least for Jonathan Weiss. It is always a plus to have someone representing the brand who is hands on and passionate about the thing they love to do. I think for all the hours of labor that gets into the product, the price is right.

Not that I would probably ever own them but it is a desirable loudspeaker none the less.

AJM1981

Obviously it's subjective, but I think that's repulsive!

The price I assume.

Yes, it is. Maybe it is related to the fact that they are all handcrafted and multiple American wages need to be payed. If they would have them mass produced overseas they could be much cheaper. But that is not their aim and I think it wouldn't last long with the company in its current form dragging this to the general public.

Given its technique this speaker is comparible to other bottom ported speakers like the Evo series and it is "just" a two way system. According to reviews the horn tweeter doesnt sound as harsch like a horn. This is probably because it is not a horn but something closer to a bi-directional system.

I am sure that in terms of musical output it is similar to the Wharfedale Evo 4.1 or 4.2 at best, maybe a mix of Wharfedale and Klipsch so no need to get it just for that. But in terms of design it is a hard call. I personally like the 19th century look of the DeVille and its lute-like grills. They have a unique style.

AJM1981

No - purely in terms of aesthetic. I have scarcely seen speakers that appeal to me less, even if they cost £50. I doubt the pictures do the quality of work justice, but the stands in particular look like they were made by MFI.

Design is debatable

fsc_deville_hifi_news_june_2020_2.jpg

1-17.jpg

I like that they look as something that could fit into a 18th century upper class home.

On the other hand.. the backside is improvable, as it is far from what the front suggests.

fsc_deville_hifi_news_june_2020_4.jpg

AJM1981

I like unusual design, it’s good to dare to be different. Otherwise everything is boringly uniform, like new housing estates and smartphones.

Indeed, and it is not a big deal if they widely catch on or not. Some objects that famous designers of companies like Braun, Apple and many car brands created became something iconic in the world of industrial design. And in my opinion these speakers belong in the same catalogue.

Reactions: Friesiansam

robdmarsh

:ROFLMAO:The stands really do look like something I could have knocked up in 4th form woodwork class with a bit of help from the teacher! (Sorry, I don't know what the modern equivalent of 4th form is... I know it's been called year something for ages now but I'm that ignorant!)

AJM1981

:ROFLMAO:The stands really do look like something I could have knocked up in 4th form woodwork class with a bit of help from the teacher! (Sorry, I don't know what the modern equivalent of 4th form is... I know it's been called year something for ages now but I'm that ignorant!)

Tell us which stands you admire for a reference.

AJM1981

Well, speaker stands are not so much objects which inspire admiration but serve a purpose to provide rigidity and stability to the speakers. Most of them are pretty ugly to tell the truth but I suppose those Solid Steel stands look quite nice even if their price tag is a bit OTT.

in that case.

If they are not there for admiration, and since you have not done testing or measurements on them, which I assume Oswald Mills Audio surely has done, why are you laughing about how they look. It is a bit contradicting :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts