Fixing Plasma to a dot and dabbed Thermalite block wall !!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help needed again....

I thought that my wall behind the dabbed plasterboard was concrete block. So I was going to use a core bit to remove the plasterboard, fill in the void with hardwall plaster, then when set, drill through the plaster and into the block and use a steel anchor bolt to create a solid fixing for my plasma wall bracket.

Anyone done this before on Thermalite/Air blocks?

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't bother using hardwall to fill the hole. I'd put the bracket where you want it, draw around it and cut/remove the plasterboard. I would then fix the bracket within the recess and tight to the blockwork and use some very heavy duty fixings.

Greg

A

Anonymous

mine is the same as yours I fixed good quality Hilti fixings into the light weight Thermalite blocks a 42" hung there for 2 years now a 50" no problem in fact you could swing on it

A

Anonymous

You should be fine so long as you go through the dabs!

But as there's no way you can know if you've done this the alternative is that you follow the suggestion given and cut out a section of plaster board. Then, fix a sheet of 18mm ply against the blockwork (rawl plugs and screw in as many places as you feel you need, but ideally not where you might run into later with the plasma mount's own screws), go as large as you can with the plywood and then plaster back over.

You can use hardwall and then multifinish to bring back the wall level with the old wall. When this is dry, you'll have a solid wall to screw into and the ply will prevent the mounting points of the plasma mount from applying point pressure to the thermalite blocks. Though they should be plenty strong enough anyway without doing this. Depends how much of a sense of overkill you want to apply. Don't forget to PVA the board before trying to plaster over it or it'll suck the moisture out of the hardwall and you'll get a blown wall before you've begun!

A

Anonymous

Did you bridge the gap between the thermalite block and the plasterboard before using the hilti fixings?

A

Anonymous

Have you thought about using chemical fixing. I have used for alsorts including hanging boilers. Should hold whatever you want it to hold.

A

Anonymous

Silentknight:

Did you bridge the gap between the thermalite block and the plasterboard before using the hilti fixings?

No i did not. Hilti bolts when they are in they are in

A

Anonymous

My 43" plasma is fixed to my dot and dab wall. There's no need to cut out the plasterboard, locate the dabs or fill in the void etc. Just use anchors that are long enough (100mm or so) to go far enough into the block. Drill smaller pilot holes first and go slowly to limit the risk of fracturing the block.ÿ

A

Anonymous

I have the same issue. Need to be careful as I have a precast flue also in the way so am limited on the fixing positions. From Google I found a number of suggestions.

One was twistlock fixings that you hammer into the soft blocks and then screw into. They look OK but I don't want the TV falling off the wall with kids about.

Another was to use 8mm threaded rod and go through to external wall. OK if you haev an external wall.

I used this approach for the bedroom TV on plasterboard and double nutted each end.

I now have some stainless steel rod from screwfix which is going up this weekend for the lounge.

I know it sounds a bit OTT but is actually easier and more secure. 4 holes and one bracket with no chance of coming off. Peace of mind at last.

A

Anonymous

Screwfix do a plethora of fixings to suit most needs.
Have you thought of epoxy resin with a threaded bolt - stronger than the wall itself.

TRENDING THREADS