Five year guarantee

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed for a while now that amazon are selling big tvs considerably cheaper which makes it tempting but you don't get a five year gurantee, is it worth spending 3 or 4 hundred pounds extra with john lewis for example just for a five year guarantee, what are your thoughts......

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Three or four hundred is a lot. JL will price match, but not if the guarantee is different. Costco also offer 5 year guarantee and deal very well with issues in my experience, so might be worth looking there.

D

Deleted member 2457

TVs cannot be trusted, always get 5 year warranties, that's what I now do and I buy from only John Lewis. I think I might try Costco one day too like someone else said.

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
The tvs i was looking at were :-

samsung 65HU7500

and

samsung 65HU7500

Not that i am thinking to buy now i haven't got the money, but when i do.

You get John Lewis to price match here:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_160&products_id=5200

Same price and you get your 5 year warranty. Any problems you can return it too.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks gel, i'll know where to look when i buy a tv, might be next year though and i'm not sure if i want a 55" or a 65".
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
Thanks gel, i'll know where to look when i buy a tv, might be next year though and i'm not sure if i want a 55" or a 65".
smiley-smile.gif

No probs. They do the 55 inch too:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_160&products_id=5199
Prices should drop too.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Why do you need to bother about the guarantee, it makes no difference what warranty the shop or company give you, under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 the goods must be satisfactory for 5yrs (6 yrs in Scotland) regardless of any guarantee or shop / company policy. Just Google Sale of Goods Act. Why pay extra for something that's already included under the law.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
kitkat said:
Why do you need to bother about the guarantee, it makes no difference what warranty the shop or company give you, under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 the goods must be satisfactory for 5yrs (6 yrs in Scotland) regardless of any guarantee or shop / company policy. Just Google Sale of Goods Act. Why pay extra for something that's already included under the law.

What makes you specify 5 years (and 6 in Scotland)?

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
kitkat said:

It should be 6 in England and 5 in Scotland. You may have to show the fault is a manufacturing fault but generally an item like a TV you should reasonably expect it to last a good 5 years. A court would look at it like that.

Oh and here in Scotland we have our own legal system as we have our own education system as we have our own health system.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Jota180 said:
BenLaw said:
kitkat said:

It should be 6 in England and 5 in Scotland. You may have to show the fault is a manufacturing fault but generally an item like a TV you should reasonably expect it to last a good 5 years. A court would look at it like that.

The point we were getting to is that this was misleading information. 6 years is the limitation period in which to bring a claim. SOGA does *not* say, as was suggested, that 'goods must be satisfactory for [6] years'. 6 year eggs anyone?

As for how long a tv should last, that will certainly depend to an extent on price and ultimately will be a matter for a judge. To place one's faith in SOGA is risky and potentially long-winded and difficult whereas a guarantee is more, well, guaranteed.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Jota180 said:
BenLaw said:
kitkat said:

The point we were getting to is that this was misleading information. 6 years is the limitation period in which to bring a claim. SOGA does *not* say, as was suggested, that 'goods must be satisfactory for [6] years'. 6 year eggs anyone?

As for how long a tv should last, that will certainly depend to an extent on price and ultimately will be a matter for a judge. To place one's faith in SOGA is risky and potentially long-winded and difficult whereas a guarantee is more, well, guaranteed.

You're being silly talking about eggs.

6 years is the traders legal responsibility for the goods. If the goods are out of warranty you can still get the trader to make good on repairs if you can show the item wasn't fit for purpose. A court is likely to take the view a TV should last longer than 2 years.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you're taking offence when you shouldn't be. The eggs point was in response to what kitkat said, that SOGA means all goods must be satisfactory for 6 years. That's a misunderstanding of SOGA, one that is easily demonstrated by the example of eggs, which I'm sure no-one will suggest shoud last six years.

TVs will clearly be expected to last longer than eggs. I'd hope like you they'd be expected to last longer than two years. I'd hope a flagship model would be expected to last at least six years. But all of these are uncertainties and open to the fortunes of the retailer disagreeing with you and then a judge disagreeing with you. I don't know why you mention two years, as kitkat said five year guarantees were unnecessary because of SOGA. I disagree, they give a much more certain level of protection. Even then, as many have encountered with panasonic, they do not necessarily provide complete and straightforward protection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts