Fishing around 5k euros

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir,

I've been checking it out but in the brochure that I have there's no Rotel RB 1570. I have only either the RA 1570 or the RB 1572 (or the RB 1562 which seems very similar to the 1572 but with less power per channel), which one of the two did you mean?.

Cheers! :cheers:

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions musicraft. Yes I was thinking about going for the Naim pre-amp/streamer (in which case I suppose a Naim power amp is a good idea).

Also, the stream magic was the streamer that my friend had suggested. I have a feeling though that the speakers in both configurations that you mention would have a big impact in my room... perhaps too much for the wife!

:cheers:

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much indeed for your thoughtful post wishtree.

Indeed if I had more time in my hands I'd do exactly what you suggest. Alas, time is a scarce commodity for me. Suffice it to say that I have two children (the oldest of which is 2 yeras old), and work about 1 and a half jobs....

Bottom line: for the next 4-5 years I am 100% certain I will not have the time that would like to devote to hifi and grow into it. Surely however I can still find a solution that allows me to take advantage of those few precious moments in which I can still listen to some music --and which sometimes can light up a whole day!.

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly enough however nobody has mentioned the Sonus Faber as a possibility?

With what would you guys pair the Venere 2.5 for instance?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
science101 said:
Interestingly enough however nobody has mentioned the Sonus Faber as a possibility?

I did in my first reply, along with some amps.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
science101 said:
Vladimir,

I've been checking it out but in the brochure that I have there's no Rotel RB 1570. I have only either the RA 1570 or the RB 1572 (or the RB 1562 which seems very similar to the 1572 but with less power per channel), which one of the two did you mean?.

Cheers! :cheers:

I meant the RA-1570 (integrated amplifier) sorry. The RB-1572 (power amp) is a better choice (double the power than the RA-1570) if it comes with its own preamp RC-1570. The CM10s are big boy speakers, they are powerful, power hungry and I like them much better than the entry level Sonus Fabers. Although there is an exciting HF with the Venere range speakers, I find them too lean and eventually fatiguing to listen. B&Ws are intentionally voiced to be quieter in the upper midrange so they don't hurt your brain when you listen at louder levels. Human hearing is not linear and we are most sensitive in the midrange.

Venere for quiet listening, B&W for normal and loud. Decisions, decisions.

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
science101 said:

Right, sorry, I got fixated in the first option you mentioned (Lynn + KEF R500) and didn't look at the second one. Thanks!

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
tino said:
If I were starting out and wanting a 'stylish' low living room impact / all-digital system, I'd be looking at the following options that are about half your budget:

* Linn Kiko System

* Cyrus Streamline II + Triangle Color Floorstanders

Thanks Tino,

I didn't feel that taken by the Linn Kiko, but the second option that you mention will definitely be on my short list. I think that by now I've dropped the second configuration that I started with (dali fazon + cambridge audio) and three new ones are appearing, one centered around the Kef's R500/R700, another one around the SF's, and this one you mentioned. I just need to gather a little more info on some details (pre-amp yes or no for instance) and I'll be ready to demo them together with the B&W option.

Right now I'm leaning more into either the KEF's or the SF (I rarely play loud music Vladimir), but of course the demos will have the last word.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
science101 said:
Covenanter said:

Marantz PM 8005 - see my thread http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/living-with-it

Chris

Do you think that would pair up nicely with the Naim NAC-N 172 XS or would you get rid of the pre-amp and just use the

stream magic 6? To be honest about it I could rephrase the questions as: is a pre-amp really useful with my set up?

[/quote]

Streaming is a not a subject I have any real knowledge of so I can only comment on a general basis. As I understand it the Steam Magic 6 handles all the streaming issues and then delivers a conventional audio signal. If I am correct you could plug it direct into any amplifier (the PM8005 has a "Network" input) and you wouldn't need a separate pre-amp. If you wanted to use the Naim pre-amp for some reason the PM8005 has a power amp input.

I hope that is useful. Others will doubtless correct me if I am wrong.
smiley-cool.gif

Chris

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
science101 said:

Been checking your suggestions and I have to say that I very much like the idea of a Electrocompaniet ECI-3 to go with the Sonus Faber. I have a question however, at 70 W (which are more likely to be around 60 in practice) isn't the ECI-3 a bit short on the power side?, wouldn't one get more bang for the buck with some hybrids like Unison Research Unico Secondo (at a lower price) or the Audio Analogue Verdi Cento (similar price)?

Thank you again, very very much!

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Covenanter said:
science101 said:
Covenanter said:

Marantz PM 8005 - see my thread http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/living-with-it

Chris

Do you think that would pair up nicely with the Naim NAC-N 172 XS or would you get rid of the pre-amp and just use the

stream magic 6? To be honest about it I could rephrase the questions as: is a pre-amp really useful with my set up?

Streaming is a not a subject I have any real knowledge of so I can only comment on a general basis. As I understand it the Steam Magic 6 handles all the streaming issues and then delivers a conventional audio signal. If I am correct you could plug it direct into any amplifier (the PM8005 has a "Network" input) and you wouldn't need a separate pre-amp. If you wanted to use the Naim pre-amp for some reason the PM8005 has a power amp input.

I hope that is useful. Others will doubtless correct me if I am wrong.
smiley-cool.gif

Chris

[/quote]

Yes Chris, it was very useful. I'm learning as I answer to your suggestions and do some resarch on the web, so thanks a bundle!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
science101 said:
tino said:
If I were starting out and wanting a 'stylish' low living room impact / all-digital system, I'd be looking at the following options that are about half your budget:

* Linn Kiko System

* Cyrus Streamline II + Triangle Color Floorstanders

Thanks Tino,

I didn't feel that taken by the Linn Kiko, but the second option that you mention will definitely be on my short list.

Could be a lively and musical combination... read a good review of the speakers here

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It is a common mistake to get hung up on Watts.......the robustness of the power supply is much more important ie. The ability to supply current as impedance drops is far more important - and Electros do this very well, being stable down to 0.5 Ohm!

ECI-3

Peak Current....60Amps

70W @ 8 Ohms

120W @ 4 Ohms

160W @ 2 Ohms

This amp is a great choice and will drive the speakers.

PI-2

This amp is a little more powerful and a similar price, but is (slightly) less smooth and chocolatey sounding. http://www.electrocompaniet.com/products/prelude/PI-2.html

FWIW. I would go with the ECI-3 with the Veneres, as they are more "modern" sounding than SFs of old (Toy / Cremona)

Three hybrid amps that are worth considering: UR Unico, Pathos Classic One and AA Verdi Cento....of those, I think I would pick the Pathos.

Class A: Don't rule out the Sugden A21 SE, which sounds more powerful then the watts suggest and will also be wonderful with SF (probably would be my pick, but I'm a sucker for Class A). http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sugden/sugden.html and http://www.precide.ch/test/sugden/e_HIFI_WORLD_MAY05_SUGDEN_A21SE.PDF and http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue85/UHF85.pdf and http://www.canhifi.com/Resources/UserManualEntity/FileName/a21se_review.pdf

Try and get to hear some of these, as I hate being the arbitor of someone else's preference...though I feel very confident that your key to Nirvana lies within these brands.

science101 said:
Thanks for the suggestions musicraft. Yes I was thinking about going for the Naim pre-amp/streamer (in which case I suppose a Naim power amp is a good idea).

Also, the stream magic was the streamer that my friend had suggested. I have a feeling though that the speakers in both configurations that you mention would have a big impact in my room... perhaps too much for the wife!

Hi science101

Your welcome.

Have a listen and if possible also try them in your room as sonically they might have a positive impact in your room
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts