Fishing around 5k euros

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey there,

I'm a newby to the audiophile world and was fishing around for a system around 5k euros. The source would be my imac, so the idea is to have a streamer connected to my imac, then obviously the amplifier and speakers. It will all be placed in my living room, which is about 4x5 meters (about 12x15 feet), but is open to a contigous kitchen of about the same size. Both rooms are somewhat stylish, so nice design is a plus. Volume levels would be moderate to normal, and the music that I listen to is above all classical and opera, but also some "world music" (flamenco and brasilian) and some pop-rock.

As per someone else's advice I was considering two main choices: one built around i) a pair of B&W CM10 + Rotel RB 1562, and another one around ii) some Dali Fazon F5 and Cambridge Audio 651W. As for the streamer, I was thinking on the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 (maybe a Naim??)

I'd be thankful to you guys if you could give me a hand with some questions: first, do these look like sensible, good choices to you? I just saw that someone else has posted a thread with a similar line (equipment under 5k), and most of the recomendations I have read have nothing to do with these two selections, which has thrown me somewhat off-balance!

Provided that the answer to the first question is a reasonable yes, which one of these two choices do you think would be best?.

Lastly, I had read somewhere else that the B&W CM10 + Rotel RA 1570 is a match made in heaven. However, given that I would have an streamer is it worth it taking the extra hike in price?, in other words, is there a difference in the quality of sound delivered by the two amps?, or is the price difference between the twomainly due to the higher functionality of the 1570?

Thanks a bundle for your time and kindness! :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Remember, the first thing to realize about "advice", is that it's no more than a suggestion based on someone else's preference....which means it should only be used to draw up a shortlist that is then demoed by you. This is vital as you are spending slightly in excess of £4k.

For the type of music you like, I would strongly recommend you try something along the lines of:

Linn Majik DSM + Kef R500

or

Linn Sneaky + Sugden A21SE / Electrocompaniet ECI-3 / Pathos Classic One Mk3 + Kef (R300 or LS50) / SF (Toy Tower or Venere 1.5 or 2.0) / Spendor (A3 or S3 5R2 or SP3 1R2)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Airport Express into AVI ADM9RSS,

less specifically, Airport Express into a remote controlled DAC/Pre-amp and then on to a good pair of active speakers.

Control would be via the imac or an iOS device.
Edit: Genelec have a range of speakers that look quite stylish in a minimalist way.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Our tastes in music are similar. I bought the Kef R700s because they are truly great with opera. They would be a very big chunk of your budget but please do try to listen to them.

Chris

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you guys for your kind answers and suggestions.

Cnoevil

t's no more than a suggestion based on someone else's preference....which means it should only be used to draw up a shortlist that is then demoed by you.

Yes, I realize that. However if you live in a medium to small city with not that many dealers you have to deal with the fact that demos will be scarce. the way I'm trying to go about is to have my short list well thought out in advance.... Don't know if this is the best though. I realize I loose options which could otherwise be viable?

:cheers:

science101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Vladimir, I hear you!

overdose:

if I understand you correctly you suggest using airport to set up a local wi-fi network (different from the one I already have that is connected to the outer world) to be used exclusively for music porpouses? Presumably the idea is to improve the quality of the transmission and avoid hicups and the like, correct?.

Apart from the hifi going into the living room I also wanted to be able to listen to music in our bedroom and the garden, alhtough with somewhat less demanding sound quality. For that I used B&O Playmaker for the control and I have had my local net rewired through the tv-hookups so that I don't need to use wireless transmission. Does that sound like a good alternative to airport express?

:cheers: !!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
science101 said:
Yes, I realize that. However if you live in a medium to small city with not that many dealers you have to deal with the fact that demos will be scarce. the way I'm trying to go about is to have my short list well thought out in advance.... Don't know if this is the best though. I realize I loose options which could otherwise be viable?

I fully agree with your sentiment, especially as I live in a small town with no dealers at all....I have to drive at least 70 miles to hear something, and what I like is spread around 4 dealers. :wall:

Simply looking at star ratings and "highstreet" products is very tempting, but means that some wonderful options are overlooked. IME. A little extra effort here is well rewarded.

Classical music is hard to get right....screechy violins, ear piercing sopranos and tinkly pianos, are all characteristics of getting the wrong system.

When I listen to music, I like to be moved by it, rather than analyze it....which drives the suggestions that I give.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Rotel RC-1570 Pre + RB-1582 MkII + B&W CM10. That would be like having scandinavian nymphs licking your soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRhqD05yNqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggnkGHzOTAI

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Rotel RC-1570 Pre + RB-1582 MkII + B&W CM10. That would be like having scandinavian nymphs licking your soul.

...or Thor's Hammer beating you upside your head!
evil.png

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:

...or Thor's Hammer beating you upside your head!
evil.png

Thought you were referring to this Thor's Hammer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3K6ZZzkWFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2mSYA7mJJc

Only 5 feet of subwoofer

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
science101 said:
Hey there,

I'm a newby to the audiophile world and was fishing around for a system around 5k euros.

Hi.. I am not sure I understand 'newby to the audiophile world' but if my assumption is right then you are putting together a HiFi system for the first time. If this is the case, I would like you to consider slightly different approach.

If you have access to used equipment, may be you can start with putting some thing in 1000 Euro price range. Once you are familiar with the set up, sound at home and how various components are interacting either you can upgrade one at a time or go for a complete new system with your target budget.

HiFi, like many hobbies is evolving and especially more in the early stages of the start of the hobby. Sound quality depends on the recording, equipment it is played on, room it is played in and the way the sum of the sound is perceived by you. The last item (a person) is the most variable component and our listening evolves and changes over time and exposure to music.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Anyway I only believe in using subwoofer for AV purposes. In the youtube vid, the 2 gigantic subs pushed into the corners must be generating rather uncomfortable levels of bass. The XLF should be generating more than enough bass on their own so not sure why he needs to add a pair of subs.

Sorry, let's not hijack this thread.

Hi science101

Other combinations to also consider around and if your budget allows are -

Naim NAC-N 172 XS/NAP 155 XS or a SuperUniti with Focal Lab Aria 926

Stream Magic 6 paired with an ATC P1 and curved SCM40

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
science101 said:
Thank you Vladimir, I hear you!

overdose:

if I understand you correctly you suggest using airport to set up a local wi-fi network (different from the one I already have that is connected to the outer world) to be used exclusively for music porpouses? Presumably the idea is to improve the quality of the transmission and avoid hicups and the like, correct?.

Apart from the hifi going into the living room I also wanted to be able to listen to music in our bedroom and the garden, alhtough with somewhat less demanding sound quality. For that I used B&O Playmaker for the control and I have had my local net rewired through the tv-hookups so that I don't need to use wireless transmission. Does that sound like a good alternative to airport express?

:cheers: !!

I use the AEX as a means to add Airplay to devices that do not already have it and to extend the range of my WiFi (not WiFe!). I suggested it as the cheapest and most effective option to add Airplay to an existing setup. If you already have a multi room setup that works for you, then just stick with that.

The way that I have my system set up, enables me to either play from the Mac mini to various places in the house (though not simultaneously) with remote control by way of iPhone or iPad. I can also use the Mac mini as a server and play from these same mobile devices.

There are probably better multi-room solutions, but the AEX setup works well for me. Sonos would be the obvious answer if looking for multi-room function if you needed to change, but again, my recommendation would be to plug the player directly into some active speakers unless wanting a Sonos all in one for convenience.

Having looked at the Playmaker, it seems very similar to the Sonos Connect and should be an ideal substitue for the AEX.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If I were starting out and wanting a 'stylish' low living room impact / all-digital system, I'd be looking at the following options that are about half your budget:

* Linn Kiko System

* Cyrus Streamline II + Triangle Color Floorstanders

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts