First turntable system advice needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

First time poster here :)

I am looking to put my records and my Wharefedale Diamonds 8.1 to use (after a long, long time).

I am looking at the Rega RP1 turntable, and the Rega Brio R amp.

At the local store they tell me that it's the absolute best i can get for that kind of money, and i really don't have much more to spend (together they are around 760 pounds here).

Some people tell me i would get more value with a budget Cambridge Audio or NAD and then a preamp...

Also been looking at entry level Pro-ject turntables.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
The amp and Turntable will go together, the question is will the amp go with your speakers, hopefully someone will be along soon with the answer to that. The only advantage of buying a cheaper amp is you could then buy a better turntable, but the phono stage in the Brio is supposed to be good.

This may have been better posted in the Turntable section although you still need the amp-speaker question answering. Do you currently have an amp.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
MumO19 said:
...I am looking at the Rega RP1 turntable, and the Rega Brio R amp.

At the local store they tell me that it's the absolute best i can get for that kind of money, and i really don't have much more to spend (together they are around 760 pounds here).

Some people tell me i would get more value with a budget Cambridge Audio or NAD and then a preamp...

Did the local store say that it's the absolute best for that kind of money with no provisos?

If they said it's the absolute best for that kind of money that you can buy from our store, that may well be correct. If they said it's the absolute best that you can buy new, then that's debatable and subjective but I'd be prepared to give them benefit of the doubt. However, if they said that it's the absolute best for that kind of money full stop, then that is complete nonsense. As there will be hundreds of second hand record player and amp combinations that you could buy for £760 or less that would sound considerably better than the Rega combination. What is more important to you newness with a guarantee or getting the best sound quality you can from your precious records for the money?

MumO19 said:
Hello everyone,

First time poster here :)

I am looking to put my records and my Wharefedale Diamonds 8.1 to use (after a long, long time).

I am looking at the Rega RP1 turntable, and the Rega Brio R amp.

Also been looking at entry level Pro-ject turntables.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Cheers.

All the amps you mention have their merits... all are different in presentation. On that premise you need to audition and decide which amp suits your music and personal taste.

Personally, I would omit the Nad and Cambridge. There's nothing wrong with them at all but they don't have a dedicated built-in phono stage.

Look at the Rega, also Marantz, Rotel and Arcam... they all have fabulous phono stages.

A

Anonymous

First of all, thanks for the help everyone.

@Lost Angeles

I don't have an amp, just the speakers.

@lindsayt

I think the guy at the store meant they're the best value for money not taking second-hand stuff into account. And regarding that, i honestly have no idea what the after-market would be here in Croatia, but i can't imagine it being a nice, stable one.

And, to tell you the truth, i'm a bit scared of getting a raw deal. But i will browse a bit and see what i can come up with, there might be some hidden treasure after all ;)

@plastic penguin

Yes, that's what i thought. Will go to a few more rooms and see what they say.

Again, thanks for the help everyone, keep the comments coming :)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The Brio R is an outstanding amplifier and will last through several upgrades of turntables and speakers, so stick with that. Don't know the RP1, but Rega turntables are usually pretty good as a general rule. Looks better built than the siminlarly priced Pro-jects.

A

Anonymous

Well, i browsed through a site with used components. Wish i hadn't, though, am lost now more than ever :help:

Just kidding, but i do have some of the listings that caught my eye here for your perusal. Any comment at all is a great help:

NAD 302 - the listing is for some 75 pounds

ECA Lectern S (Super) - what is this? (350 pounds) http://www.njuskalo.hr/hi-fi-komponente/eca-lectern-super-oglas-4232676

Naim nait 5 - going for 340 pounds

Marantz PM25 - going for 75 pounds

Marantz PM57+Athena AS-B1.2 speakers+some other stuff - 250 pounds

These are the things that stuck after surfing the site. Sorry if this comes off as rude, i really am lost :oops:

If someone wants to browse, here it is (in Croatian but i think you can manage, ask if help is needed):

http://www.njuskalo.hr/hi-fi-komponente

A

Anonymous

Well, i browsed through a site with used components. Wish i hadn't, though, am lost now more than ever :help:

Just kidding, but i do have some of the listings that caught my eye here for your perusal. Any comment at all is a great help:

ECA Lectern S (Super) - what is this? (350 pounds) http://www.njuskalo.hr/hi-fi-komponente/eca-lectern-super-oglas-4232676

These are the things that stuck after surfing the site. Sorry if this comes off as rude, i really am lost :oops:

If someone wants to browse, here it is (in Croatian but i think you can manage, ask if help is needed):

A

Anonymous

Welcome to here.
track.php

MumO19 said:

From the ones you mentioned the Naim is a really good amp but and a big BUT it does lack on inputs. If you don't mind shelling out on a separate phono stage and/or a DAC it's a impressive intro to the brand.

Regarding the Marantz it looks a good deal but I'm not familiar with the Athena speakers.

Maybe have a look at this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROKSAN-Kandy-KA-1-MK-III-Integrated-Amplifier-/110806311088?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19cc9220b0

It'll work well with your Wharfedales and it has the phono stage to boot. Cracking amp.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think i wanna buy it online from abroad, since i know the customs here too well. First of all, i never know how much of customs fees and taxes i will have to pay, and second, they are far from gentle with the parcels.

And yeah, i think i would do better buying the new Rega Brio R for about the same ammount as the Naim listed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts