First time with NAD!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

matthewpiano said:
I'm a big fan of NAD and I'm actually using my old C521BEE CD player again as I'm finding it a bit more natural sounding than the CD63SE (brilliant thought the Marantz is).

The C326BEE is a great amp if partnered correctly. Mordaunt-Short usually make a great match.

Only NAD component I used was your CDP's predecessor - the C521i, but I loathed it. Maybe the BEE was improved, but I found the older one very sibilant and it's stereo image too centre-focused and narrow - not enough seperation.

matthewpiano

manicm said:
matthewpiano said:
I'm a big fan of NAD and I'm actually using my old C521BEE CD player again as I'm finding it a bit more natural sounding than the CD63SE (brilliant thought the Marantz is).

The C326BEE is a great amp if partnered correctly. Mordaunt-Short usually make a great match.

Only NAD component I used was your CDP's predecessor - the C521i, but I loathed it. Maybe the BEE was improved, but I found the older one very sibilant and it's stereo image too centre-focused and narrow - not enough seperation.

I've not heard the older C521i so I can't say whether the different experiences we've had are down to the improvements made for the BEE version or just good old system synergy. Certainly my experience is quite different to yours. I'm getting a widescreen soundstage with very natural reproduction of sibilants. One of the things I like about it is that it doesn't have that hole in the middle of the soundstage that some CD players seem to suffer from, but at the same time it stretches out nicely too.

A

Anonymous

It plays nice, but when it works only. They commonly use to fail, even the originaly new they got out from the box in front of me did not work. Second they use to fail in basic issues, some models play CDs too fast, some have irritateingly sharp midrange, some get overheated, and all, even the most expencive are made in China. So, if you are lucky to get the right one, it may be the best of the best, but you can also stuck in basic issues. Thats NAD, as ABBA song say, take a chance on me!:)

A

Anonymous

javelin said:
It plays nice, but when it works only. They commonly use to fail, even the originaly new they got out from the box in front of me did not work. Second they use to fail in basic issues, some models play CDs too fast, some have irritateingly sharp midrange, some get overheated, and all, even the most expencive are made in China. So, if you are lucky to get the right one, it may be the best of the best, but you can also stuck in basic issues. Thats NAD, as ABBA song say, take a chance on me!:)

I was under the impression NAD were renowned for their reliability.

A

Anonymous

I don't get the whole, " it's made in china " issue.

Many things are made in china, like anywhere not all products made well. Some, however are very well made and represent incredible value fro money and performance.

My whole HI Fi is made in china and it sounds great. Good on the Chinese.

A

Anonymous

Higher grade Denon are made in Japan. China can manufacture good and bad products, depending the original brand. The fact that NAD produce all equipement in China only says they likely do not care about mechanical quality, specialy considering that NAD is already popular for mechanical flaws and they know about it, but maybe they consider it a part of an image. Still, if I would choose between Cambridge Audio and NAD, would choose later, for the sound quality. First use class-D amplifiers, the second mostlty class-AB, so is by most models it sounds pleasant and warm. As for the sound for the buck, for many it is worth the risk.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I don't know about the amps (my C326 is six months old and working fine) but NAD CD players do not have a good reputation.

Lots of problems with new and old players.

manicm

javelin said:
Higher grade Denon are made in Japan. China can manufacture good and bad products, depending the original brand. The fact that NAD produce all equipement in China only says they likely do not care about mechanical quality, specialy considering that NAD is already popular for mechanical flaws and they know about it, but maybe they consider it a part of an image. Still, if I would choose between Cambridge Audio and NAD, would choose later, for the sound quality. First use class-D amplifiers, the second mostlty class-AB, so is by most models it sounds pleasant and warm. As for the sound for the buck, for many it is worth the risk.

Complete rubbish - my B&W 685s are made in China, and so is my Arcam Solo Mini. I'll bet like the similar Marantz UD7006, the equivalent Denon is also made in China - just checked indeed the DBP-2012UD is. The 685s by the way are built like a brick. So is the Arcam, but has a few operational quirks.

If NADs are unreliable it's by design - like some Arcam AV products, and not because it's made in China.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
javelin said:

Breathtaking collection of misinformation, prejudice and assumption you have there, jav...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
javelin said:

Breathtaking collection of misinformation, prejudice and assumption you have there, jav...

Well done for understanding this post Andrew. I can't even get my head around what the point is.

A

Anonymous

It is nothing uncommon, when I got in a store that sells several high end brands and noted issues about NAD mechanical flaws, they have not been surpriced at all. They sound good for the buck and they can afford some flaws. There are brands with only a few mechanical issues, but they sound poor, so does it make a better choice.

A

Anonymous

javelin said:
It is nothing uncommon, when I got in a store that sells several high end brands and noted issues about NAD mechanical flaws, they have not been surpriced at all. They sound good for the buck and they can afford some flaws. There are brands with only a few mechanical issues, but they sound poor, so does it make a better choice.

Aye?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
javelin said:
...NAD is already popular for mechanical flaws and they know about it, but maybe they consider it a part of an image.

So NAD is popular for mechanical flaws and they knowingly build them into their products because it's part of their image?

That's a very eccentric (and risky) marketing strategy you are proposing.

matthewpiano

Have to say I've not had any reliability problems with NAD, either the amps or the CD players. My C521BEE got a bit flaky at one point but giving it a good clean inside resolved this.

Personally I think they are perfectly well built products. They might have some issues but I think most brands do to be honest and few offer the performance per pound of NAD.

A

Anonymous

If they are popular about mechanicals flaws, then they are first to know that. If they do not correct it for years, they have a reason. They sound very good for the money, so they probably can not offer both mechanical quality and good sound for the buck. Thats likely the reason they sound so good for the price.
And about are they doing it by means? Who knows, they admit theier estethics are inferior, as they invest all in sound. Does a better design cost more? I think not, but with poor esthetics they give you additional pshychological hint they invested all the money in sound.

A

Anonymous

Native_bon said:
So how would any one paint a colour in words what nad sounds like?.. Never ever listened to a NAd system

Smooth, detailed, gentle, analogue, very nice, if you are lucky to choosed the right one. If not it may be sharp in midrange, tested T744 and T754 useing Celine Dion CD. In comparisson its rival i.e. Cabridge Audio is more dry and digital. NAD is more based on amplifier class AB, except in high end segment and Cambrige commonly use class D.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
javelin said:
...they admit theier estethics are inferior, as they invest all in sound. Does a better design cost more? I think not, but with poor esthetics they give you additional pshychological hint they invested all the money in sound.

Very little hifi has (or has ever had) anything you could describe as an 'æsthetic'. Possibly because good product designers are expensive. (BrAun, B&O, Apple are just a few that have spent the extra money to achieve this end.)

So NAD are far from alone in their impoverished visual appeal. I doubt their brand 'look' was ever deliberately contrived.

A

Anonymous

No, I did not mean esthetics compared to high end designs, but to most commertial devices like Denon, Onkyo, Marantz etc. You can find even a no-name rubbish for 100 pounds that looks very nice indeed, even with aluminium fascia. So if they can not do even a close design for above 1000 pounds or more, then they do it by means. Its not a secret, I think their "ugly" design is even commented on their own site.

matthewpiano

javelin said:
If they are popular about mechanicals flaws, then they are first to know that. If they do not correct it for years, they have a reason. They sound very good for the money, so they probably can not offer both mechanical quality and good sound for the buck. Thats likely the reason they sound so good for the price. And about are they doing it by means? Who knows, they admit theier estethics are inferior, as they invest all in sound. Does a better design cost more? I think not, but with poor esthetics they give you additional pshychological hint they invested all the money in sound.

Sorry but you are talking rubbish. The quality is there. For a start off I've never used a NAD amp with volume in-balance problems at the lower end of the scale, whereas I've had amps by Cambridge Audio and Denon that do suffer in this way. I've never had a NAD component that didn't work properly straight out of the box, and if you actually look at what goes into a NAD amp it is every bit as good as any other manufacturer at the same price.

There are 3020 amps, and its variants, still doing sterling service all over the place and plenty of 320s, 325BEEs etc. seem to be heading in the same direction.

If you look around you'll find failures in models from any manufacturer. There are plenty of Denon and Marantz amps about with bad solder, and plenty of CD players from the same manufacturers where moving parts have failed. An awful lot depends on how equipment is used, how much use it gets, and how well it has been set up. I seem to remember an issue with some C370 amps that was actually caused by owners not providing sufficient ventilation to what was a bit and powerful amplifier. No manufacturer can take responsibility for that sort of thing!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
javelin said:
If they are popular about mechanicals flaws, then they are first to know that. If they do not correct it for years, they have a reason. They sound very good for the money, so they probably can not offer both mechanical quality and good sound for the buck. Thats likely the reason they sound so good for the price. And about are they doing it by means? Who knows, they admit theier estethics are inferior, as they invest all in sound. Does a better design cost more? I think not, but with poor esthetics they give you additional pshychological hint they invested all the money in sound.

Sorry but you are talking rubbish. The quality is there. For a start off I've never used a NAD amp with volume in-balance problems at the lower end of the scale, whereas I've had amps by Cambridge Audio and Denon that do suffer in this way. I've never had a NAD component that didn't work properly straight out of the box, and if you actually look at what goes into a NAD amp it is every bit as good as any other manufacturer at the same price.

There are 3020 amps, and its variants, still doing sterling service all over the place and plenty of 320s, 325BEEs etc. seem to be heading in the same direction.

If you look around you'll find failures in models from any manufacturer. There are plenty of Denon and Marantz amps about with bad solder, and plenty of CD players from the same manufacturers where moving parts have failed. An awful lot depends on how equipment is used, how much use it gets, and how well it has been set up. I seem to remember an issue with some C370 amps that was actually caused by owners not providing sufficient ventilation to what was a bit and powerful amplifier. No manufacturer can take responsibility for that sort of thing!

EDITED BY MODS and user warned: a string of potentially defamatory nonsense, frankly, with not a shred of evidence. Suggest you stop digging now...

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
javelin said:

As we all know, spending more yields greater build reliability as anyone who's ever bought a Cyrus Servo Evolution CD player that's exhibited some quirky behaviour will tell you. A kick in the teeth of £1000 IIRC.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:
javelin said:

As we all know, spending more yields greater build reliability as anyone who's ever bought a Cyrus Servo Evolution CD player that's exhibited some quirky behaviour will tell you. A kick in the teeth of £1000 IIRC.

Did you try Vincent CD-S6 or SP-T100?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My experience with NAD quality has always been positive. Sure some of there build methods have changed to keep the units in the budget sector like the dispensing of aluminium front panels, using bent bits of aluminium for heatsinks on the 3020,3130,3240 units in the eighties etc. I can only think of one model with an obvious design error and that is the C315BEE. Due to lack of ventilation and a poor on off design the caps dry out after only a couple of years use which is unforgiveable really. They rectified the problem and re-released the amplifier under the C316BEE banner which is not too helpful if you brought the original C315BEE is it.

So a note to all C315BEE owners - turn your amplifier off with the switch on the rear of the unit to extend its life.

A

Anonymous

If you are not full of money, but still want some good sound, there are some tipps with NAD. They use to have significant discounts, more then 50% for last year or two years old model. If you prefere sound rather then feature, that you probably do if you opt for NAD, then its a choice. I.e. currently can be found T535 for only a fraction of price. The only issue is that NAD has no much HD sound supporting models and their Blue ray devices supporting analogue outputs are still rather expencive.

TRENDING THREADS