First time hearing an album on LP

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...that you've heard on CD over half your life. Anyone other than me just sat there and gone "wow"?

£1 charity-shop find saw me purchase one of my favourite Fleetwood Mac albums on LP for the first time yesterday. I posted it in the 'what's on your turntable thread':

IMG_2839_zpstzud8vwj.jpg

Now I'm not going to go all gushy and start rambling on with strings of superlatives, but I will say this (actually I've said it before): if you want to hear an album at its best which was recorded on analogue tape to start with, you really need to chuck the CD away and buy the original record.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
...that you've heard on CD over half your life. Anyone other than me just sat there and gone "wow"?

£1 charity-shop find saw me purchase one of my favourite Fleetwood Mac albums on LP for the first time yesterday. I posted it in the 'what's on your turntable thread':

Now I'm not going to go all gushy and start rambling on with strings of superlatives, but I will say this (actually I've said it before): if you want to hear an album at its best which was recorded on analogue tape to start with, you really need to chuck the CD away and buy the original record.

It's not an album I can say I'm familiar with, but will keep my eyes open for a copy. A while ago, I bought Nightclubbing by Grace Jones, and it's hard to imagine the CD sounding as good.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
To be fair it's not exactly full of hits and most tracks are what would probably be classed as 'deep cuts'. The only notable hit over here was "Oh Diane" which reached #9. Though the video for "Gypsy" is notable for being the most expensive music-video ever made at the time and was the very first "World Premiere Video" on MTV.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
There's something quite nostalgic in having to get up out of your chair half-way through an album and flip it over, kind of like the intermission at the theatre (or if you're old enough like me for when the projectionist had to swap reels and those ladies used to come round with those ridiculously small ridiculously over-priced tubs of ice cream). Kind of anticipation of the best yet to come (hopefully). And, of course, there's nothing quite like having a tangible disc in your hand, be it black, white, or indeed, shiny silver. Something streaming services will never capture.

On the whole, however, and perhaps because of my taste in music, the recording technologies available to the "average" group "back then", etc., I find a lot of old vinyl stuff to be quite muted and the crescendos not as, erm, crescendo-ish, as you can get out of a CD. Something, I suppose, to do with the spacing of the grooves and the fact that given the fixed RPM the surface speed of the needle in the groove roughly halves from the edge to the middle.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
To be fair it's not exactly full of hits and most tracks are what would probably be classed as 'deep cuts'. The only notable hit over here was "Oh Diane" which reached #9. Though the video for "Gypsy" is notable for being the most expensive music-video ever made at the time and was the very first "World Premiere Video" on MTV.
I have this on cd but I liked rumours better . Next year when I get my record player I will be getting some of the fleetwood Mac albums myself .

josbd

Dec 19, 2005
Visit site
Nightclubbing is a pretty amazing recording as I remember. I first heard it on a friends new (at the time) hi fi system, and I was transfixed. It also made me realise that I absolutely HAD to get on the first rung of the hi fi ladder, and the week after, I bought a Rega Planar 3. Must play Grace again. See if it inspires me again.

MajorFubar said:

I think records and CDs have their own distinct traits. I like vinyl for its natural presentation. CDs are equally as good, if the recording is original. Generally find remastered CDs to be over compressed.

My first CD was a single of Lenny Kravitz 'It Ain't Over Till It's Over': I purchased a best of album on vinyl and there was little difference. His first album was the same: 'Let Love Rule' there was not much to divide them. This is because the original recordings of his early stuff was pretty much untouched.

BTW, Maj - like your turntable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts