First Post Hello To Everyone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I like the way your subject is 'I grew up'. Made me laugh. I'm sure you're one of the very few who has managed to do that! The rest of us are hoping that ,maturity, like the seaside, is just around the next corner. More power to your lp addiction, lion...and stop growing up any more.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
I love the fact that it is almost ritualiistic in nature, that it isn't instantly available at a click of a button or swipe of a screen. I am a man with zero patience normally, demanding it here and right now, yet I love the fact I can't have it like that with my records. I love the tease, the longing, the eager anticipation and finally the reward and gratification experienced on hearing that first pop or perhaps even a stunningly clean and full sound after lovingly man handling and cleansing that piece of floppy polymer. It's a love affair made in heaven! ;-)

Rather nicely put. Yep, that's it.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Oh you know...just defending all you gentle and passive vinyl-lovers from attack....even if the attack was rather veiled. The digital streamers shall not pass.

Fair play
thumbs_up.gif
Like many, I switched to CD's which seemed like the sensible thing to do, even re-buying a lot of the stuff I already had on vinyl. I've recently bought a new amp (Rotel) which has lots of options (digital inputs) which opens up a whole new world. But, you know what? I still love my vinyls, there's something rather special about the whole experience, especially since I fitted a 1042 to my Rega. At some stage I'll be upgrading my T/T, but it'll do for now
thumbs_up.gif

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
I love the fact that it is almost ritualiistic in nature, that it isn't instantly available at a click of a button or swipe of a screen. I am a man with zero patience normally, demanding it here and right now, yet I love the fact I can't have it like that with my records. I love the tease, the longing, the eager anticipation and finally the reward and gratification experienced on hearing that first pop or perhaps even a stunningly clean and full sound after lovingly man handling and cleansing that piece of floppy polymer. It's a love affair made in heaven! ;-)

Blimey, sounds like sex! *biggrin*

Captain Sensible

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
One thing that annoys me having a streamer is when power from the main grid is lowered ( you see your lights dimming a bit ) happens quite often where I live. This makes the streamer system lose the signal in turn having to touch the re-learn button. Can take up to a couple of hours to get the system configurator to kick in again. Thank God for the vinyl it just play’s when you want it to. Also you don’t skip tracks so more contented to sit back and take in an album as a whole.

Also get and understand people saying there format is best no matter vinyl, digital. What they are really saying is best for them. Hearing a great album on your chosen format will always sound good.

PS - Thanks to everyone for the welcome :)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Well, I took (envious?) to be sarcastic; it certainly looks that way to me or why would you use the question mark?

'I'm so hurt by your rapier wit that I'll have to lay down and sob myself to sleep.' confirms your modus operandi as sarcastic and childish. That is when you're not simply being rude and offensive as you were inthe Hifi forums, calling 'chebby' 'small minded', 'sad' and letting him know you felt sorry for him. Then you went searching for a comment 'lindsayt' made in another forum and posted it in an attempt to nail him because he too was offended by your tone and attitude.

'I can't stand the surface noise of vinyl.' I take it you mean the odd record that may have a bit of surface noise...why generalise unless, of course, you're trying to discredit the whole medium?

Thus, I hope you'll understand why I haven't really taken to you, old boy.

Edit: Oh I forgot 'Jim Anchor'...talk about knife-box. Ouch.

So, first bold. Then you were as wrong as it is possible to be. If I were still into vinyl, I'd be as envious as a VERY naughty word given the superb equipment list detailed by young Sensible. But I don't know if everyone else will be envious _ hence the question mark.

Second & Third bold. The clue here is the VERY FIRST WORD, I. That means me, myself, I {can't stand vinyl surface noise]. So where is the "generalise"-ation there? Had I been trying to, "discredit the whole medium" I would have made a value judgement, stated as fact. Such as, all vinyl is *rap because of the surface noise. BUT I DIDN'T DID I?

Despite hating surface noise I am still drawn back to vinyl and its wonderful tactility once in a while. It's in the blood, given that I started listening to vinyl in the early 60s, and it won't ever go completely. I still have all my vinyl and my SL10, that still works perfectly, and I'd never part with them/it. But I just can't listen to anything more than a side or two, once in a blue moon, mores the pity. But that's just me and as I said before, if people enjoy their vinyl as much as I enjoy my digital then that's brilliant.

The trouble with little outbursts like yours is that it is very, very counter productive. Because then some people will try to deliberately wind things up and create another boring, inaccurate, yarboosucks, digital v vinyl war. Being so needlessly defensive and taking ridiculous offence when none was expressed, or intended, would be a complete gift to a pedant like me but you're not a moving target, so it wouldn't be fair.

Fourth bold. I said what I wanted, you know what I said, BUT I didn't get censored did I?????????

*bye*

Edit: I forgot earlier. Also your [above], Lindsayt, sentence is very wrong as well. It was someone else who posted about Lindsayt being "disingenuous" and providing evidence of his hypocrisy. NOT ME.

Lindsayt has a thing about what he calls the AVI mob[gang?], so he pops up whenever possible to cry foul on an AVI-er, whether valid or not. He used to be in a little gang on here that sought to suppress any mention but particularly, praise, for AVI 'active' products. But there was no substance to their witterings and most of his little friends abandoned him to fight on, more or less on his own. But he does pop out of a wardrobe every so often and provide some amusement. So that's nice.

All in all, you haven't done very well here. So you should really give it up. Thanks for listening.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Blimey, you two, stop or I'll have to bang your heads together and tell your mothers. Fighting on a welcome thread - honestly! [rolls eyes]

You are quite right Scarlet. It is indeed less than satisfactory that a, sort of, welcome thread be derailed as it has. However, I am never ever going to let someone make false allegations out of something I've said, without answering it.

While we're at Blimeys. An SME turntable etc. makes a chap's trousers fair go quite tight. I'm interested to know what it all plugs in to.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I love to play my records, I love to play my CDs, I love listening to internet radio on my Squeezebox Touch, and I also like streaming sometimes when the PC upstairs is switched on.

I have no allegiance with any format. However I do struggle to play my LPs in my van during the day at work.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
relocated said:
Jim-W said:
Well, I took (envious?) to be sarcastic; it certainly looks that way to me or why would you use the question mark?

'I'm so hurt by your rapier wit that I'll have to lay down and sob myself to sleep.' confirms your modus operandi as sarcastic and childish. That is when you're not simply being rude and offensive as you were inthe Hifi forums, calling 'chebby' 'small minded', 'sad' and letting him know you felt sorry for him. Then you went searching for a comment 'lindsayt' made in another forum and posted it in an attempt to nail him because he too was offended by your tone and attitude.

'I can't stand the surface noise of vinyl.' I take it you mean the odd record that may have a bit of surface noise...why generalise unless, of course, you're trying to discredit the whole medium?

Thus, I hope you'll understand why I haven't really taken to you, old boy.

Edit: Oh I forgot 'Jim Anchor'...talk about knife-box. Ouch.

So, first bold. Then you were as wrong as it is possible to be. If I were still into vinyl, I'd be as envious as a VERY naughty word given the superb equipment list detailed by young Sensible. But I don't know if everyone else will be envious _ hence the question mark.

Second & Third bold. The clue here is the VERY FIRST WORD, I. That means me, myself, I {can't stand vinyl surface noise]. So where is the "generalise"-ation there? Had I been trying to, "discredit the whole medium" I would have made a value judgement, stated as fact. Such as, all vinyl is *rap because of the surface noise. BUT I DIDN'T DID I?

Despite hating surface noise I am still drawn back to vinyl and its wonderful tactility once in a while. It's in the blood, given that I started listening to vinyl in the early 60s, and it won't ever go completely. I still have all my vinyl and my SL10, that still works perfectly, and I'd never part with them/it. But I just can't listen to anything more than a side or two, once in a blue moon, mores the pity. But that's just me and as I said before, if people enjoy their vinyl as much as I enjoy my digital then that's brilliant.

The trouble with little outbursts like yours is that it is very, very counter productive. Because then some people will try to deliberately wind things up and create another boring, inaccurate, yarboosucks, digital v vinyl war. Being so needlessly defensive and taking ridiculous offence when none was expressed, or intended, would be a complete gift to a pedant like me but you're not a moving target, so it wouldn't be fair.

Fourth bold. I said what I wanted, you know what I said, BUT I didn't get censored did I?????????

*bye*

Edit: I forgot earlier. Also your [above], Lindsayt, sentence is very wrong as well. It was someone else who posted about Lindsayt being "disingenuous" and providing evidence of his hypocrisy. NOT ME.

Lindsayt has a thing about what he calls the AVI mob[gang?], so he pops up whenever possible to cry foul on an AVI-er, whether valid or not. He used to be in a little gang on here that sought to suppress any mention but particularly, praise, for AVI 'active' products. But there was no substance to their witterings and most of his little friends abandoned him to fight on, more or less on his own. But he does pop out of a wardrobe every so often and provide some amusement. So that's nice.

All in all, you haven't done very well here. So you should really give it up. Thanks for listening.

Dear relocated

Nice to hear from you again.

Your response to the 'first bold' is ingenious; however, I maintain that you were intending your comment to be read as a sarcastic rejoinder to the OP. This general tone of disinterest re anything to do with turntables/ vinyl is also evident in the terse phrase,' I won't be one of them' You're posting in a Turntables and LP's forum and letting everybody know that you're not interested in turntables and lps. I go back to my original point that if you feel this way then why bother posting other than to establish your own superiority and to disparage the choice of format of others. That is how I first read this and still do; you've said nothing to convince me otherwise.

You respond to the 'second and third bold' imaginatively too and whilst I hate to be pedantic, in this instance I will make an exception. I realise that you were expressing an opinion, but the use of a personal pronoun doesn't negate the generalisation that follows: 'I hate the surface noise of vinyl.' You are still generalising by arguing that all vinyl records have surface noise; just because it's your opinion doesn't mean that you haven't proffered a generalisation. If you had commented about the difficulties with some or a few records then that would imply specific examples of bad pressings and I would have to agree with you; however, 'the surface noise of vinyl' suggests that it's the format itself that is inherently flawed. I'm sure your misrepresentation of your original intention is now clear to you.

With regards to your imaginatively titlled, 'fourth bold' re my censored comments, it's rather laughable really, as I posted this morning on here, that posters are censored for using the vernacular. I found it even more amusing that the moderator took so long before censoring my comments: clearly, he wanted you to read it which, of course, you did. I don't really understand your triumphalism here: I just prefer a more direct approach; you favour the rather more cryptic pathway which, by its very nature, may leave the reader baffled. You were certainly left in no doubt as to my meaning.

The rest of this is filled with the usual personal slights and your childish victory dancing: I give you 'little outbursts', 'needlessly defensive', 'ridiculous offence'.and perhaps 'you're not a moving target so it wouldn't be fair.' By the way, I've left the comma out after so because it's a joining word and therefore doesn't need one; on a more serious note, this is where the use of cryptic or figurative language can blunt your message: I really have no idea what you mean but I can only presume it was something to do, once again, with your superiority. I derive this notional understanding from 'it wouldn't be fair.' I could be wrong though.

The instance in which I am most definitely wrong is to do with the naming and shaming of lindsayt: I apologise unreservedly. It was not you but somebody else as you state. My bad, as they say.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Apologies!

i accidentally hit the report button (twice), which I didn't even know existed until now. What I wanted to do was reply; I wanted to say how nice it is to read a verbal fight between to people who are literate, articulate and don't abuse the English language. Well done! It's a shame it's a fight though.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
ifor said:
Apologies!

i accidentally hit the report button (twice), which I didn't even know existed until now. What I wanted to do was reply; I wanted to say how nice it is to read a verbal fight between to people who are literate, articulate and don't abuse the English language. Well done! It's a shame it's a fight though.

Thanks, ifor. Nice of you to say so.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
No worries, ifor; we're not pedantic in here! Ha!

Anyway, I'm sure we've all had a drink or six by now so I bet nobody noticed.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
Welcome to the Forum.

I imagine there will be a number of [envious?] people, keen to hear about your turntable discoveries. I won't be one of them as I can't stand the surface noise of vinyl, however well it might be minimised by decent gear.

So why bother coming onto this part of the forum - only to antagonise members who have a genuine interest & love of vinyl & records.

Vinyl is 90% of my listening - the other 10% is streaming from a MacBook Pro into my Rega DAC or playing the odd CD to get my amp warmed up. To be honest its a ritual I go through that I love, my digital front end sounds pretty nice to me though!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
relocated said:
Welcome to the Forum.

I imagine there will be a number of [envious?] people, keen to hear about your turntable discoveries. I won't be one of them as I can't stand the surface noise of vinyl, however well it might be minimised by decent gear.

So why bother coming onto this part of the forum - only to antagonise members who have a genuine interest & love of vinyl & records.

To 'mark' his territory.

Despite what you all feel about that, it worked didn't it? What subject are you all discussing? SME turntables? Welcoming another member who loves vinyl? No. You are all discussing relocated's comment.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
stevebrock said:
relocated said:
Welcome to the Forum.

To 'mark' his territory.

Despite what you all feel about that, it worked didn't it? What subject are you all discussing? SME turntables? Welcoming another member who loves vinyl? No. You are all discussing relocated's comment.

[/qu

Indeed, chebby, tu as raison, je crois. It was intended as some sort of invasive manoeuvre: to 'mark his territory', as you say. He knew exactly what he was doing; more fool me for responding to it and giving him some sort of bad boy outsider creedence. You live and learn.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
One of my all-time favourites, BBB! How very dare you?! It's a rib-tickler from start to finish. Howard is my favourite character by the way.

TRENDING THREADS