First picture of Bowers & Wilkins Series 800 D4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ti33er

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm I guess it’s a matter of personal taste here :) …I do like the new Range, but not the greedy pricing… on my 805D3, I reckon if I could get a Routing machine and round the two front vertical edges of my baffle, it would also look like an ‘upgrade’ (like the way REL T9x edges are now rounded …

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 7

ti33er

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
I think there is a limit to performance whereby it’s diminishing returns thereafter - they are good, it’s really just tuning (EQ) now …Bowers new Owners are being greedy, like REL for profits in a Bear economy

ti33er

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
…we all fuel these beasts by actually buying them - not that many people bought the Monitor Audio Platinum 2 range as an example and the prices started to come down i.e. lots of discounted speakers like PL500/300/200 started cropping up at Dealers and eBay I noticed. Desire & Demand causes a reality check in the market over time

…we all fuel these beasts by actually buying them - not that many people bought the Monitor Audio Platinum 2 range as an example and the prices started to come down i.e. lots of discounted speakers like PL500/300/200 started cropping up at Dealers and eBay I noticed. Desire & Demand causes a reality check in the market over time
Actually, as state-of-the-art speakers go, then £30k is almost a bargain. Many designs from the likes of Wilson Audio, Raidho, Martin Logan, Sonus faber, Focal , etc, etc are far costlier. The 801 D4 gets a full review in the November 2021 Hifi News, and scores 92% which I think I’ve only seen once before.

I‘d love to hear these newest models as the last 801 I heard were I think the originals, when I was fortunate to spend a day at Abbey Road no 1 studios in 1993.

Reactions: ti33er

ti33er

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
Many State of the Art Handbags can cost thousands too (some even made from ‘Vegan Leather’ aka plastic) …I’ve asked my Wife before if they would contain or carry her contents any better; the defences were put up straight away, no Date-Night for me that eve ;-)

Reactions: nopiano
Do speakers that size really need a sub?

Yes, the use of a subwoofer is still of paramount importance. For eg. picture below shows Bowers & Wilkins 802D2's which are perfectly capable of good quality low frequencies. However this system features a pair of JL Audio Fathom f112 v2 subwoofers are in use with a crossover point to the main speakers set at 80Hz, so the 802D2 speakers are relieved of the need to produce deep bass. It’s a good starting point as it relieves the main speakers of the bottom two octaves (20Hz - 40Hz and 40Hz - 80Hz) which lowers distortion in the main speakers. The Fathom f112 v2's do a much better job in this region. As a result the system is more transparent and dynamic from bottom to top, at low volumes as well as at higher volumes and the space in the original recording is much better defined than the 802D2's's on their own.

jl audio b&w 802 2 x fathom f112 v2's system.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

Sliced Bread

I guess it depends whether you’re integrating the subs by ear or via software. Dirac can do a great job with integration, but if it’s a high level connection by ear then I imagine most people will make a mess of it.

I’ve been integrating subs into my system for about 20 years and it still takes me months every time I make a change to get it right.

Reactions: ti33er

ti33er

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
Here you go, reality starting to check-in for REL with their pricing…£1299–>>>£1149
:)

(can’t attach image, says file format not valid)

Reactions: Sliced Bread

Sliced Bread

Here you go, reality starting to check-in for REL with their pricing…£1299–>>>£1149
:)

(can’t attach image, says file format not valid)
PMC need to take note too 😏

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts